Home

Register a new account  
Where is everyone?
Forum Index   Θ   OOC Chatter

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am      Reply with quote

Throttle's assessment isn't entirely unfair. Armageddon has been having between 70 and 80 players on for a couple hours at peak times, the past couple months -- attributable to a voting drive on TMS -- but they really are stretched very thin indeed. I have a character there (with 55 days logged!) but I haven't been online in a bit, now.

Four of my five characters, spread over several years, have been clanned. I stored two at around fifteen days played. The lone unclanned character got killed when I got fed-up of grinding up skills on what I knew were safe areas, and went into a more dangerous spot. The other to die was at like 75 days played - over half that was spent unclanned - and past his time, at that.

Sadly, unless you're playing an unclanned character, the game moves at a stagnant pace. Fun game, if you want to play H&S with roleplay trappings. It's just frustratingly slow, otherwise - I did get characters to points where they should be involved in plots, know the details, that sort of thing, and really? There's just not that much there -- some PCs clutching at straws to make stuff interesting, perhaps. The need for staff approval to advance even small things does kind of seem to mess with it.

I'll give Black Sands a look sometime.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm      Reply with quote

I think Armageddon depends on your style and what you want to do. The two main cities are bustling with pc's since player numbers went up. I would say that the smaller areas have no less players than Cafaolan(Sp?) or FJ did in Shadows of Isildur.

I think it suits me because everything is player driven. So yes I haven't been involved in any wild plots and I haven't seen anything truly deep yet created by the players. However I see all the potential there and all it needs is mover's and shakers.

I created a nobody character with no useful skills, I made a post that I was looking for work on the in game boards and within a day I had a shady job of setting up deals for a shady character who wanted me to act as his face when dealing for poisons and spice. The day after that I got a legitimate job as an aide to a noble house. Not a whole lot to do there but I've mudded long enough to realize that I can't depend on my clan of 3 people to keep me entertained. So I've done a billion side things, met about 40 different characters and come up with about 10 good friends and the future for my character looks bright...if my character dies I have about a dozen new concepts I can see being viable for my style of play.

EDIT: It is 9:00 pm EST on a weeknight and there is no rpts.

There are 70 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm      Reply with quote

Aken wrote:
I'll give Black Sands a look sometime.

In my experience, the RP there was some of the most appalling I've ever experienced. Had to give it a big nope, turn 360 degrees and walk away. Perhaps a friend still has the quote. We could all do with a chuckle.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it suits me because everything is player driven. So yes I haven't been involved in any wild plots and I haven't seen anything truly deep yet created by the players. However I see all the potential there and all it needs is mover's and shakers.

That's its downfall, unfortunately. All it needs is movers and shakers, but it has been that way for half a dozen years now. It could be great, but nobody has made it great since before they announced Reborn and let the game decay. The reason you haven't seen plots is that there pretty much aren't any. The few things that do happen are kept within the closed circles of cliques and AIM buddies. Most clans just do nothing because there's no foundation for activities and no initiative in the playerbase. Instead, most people just opt out of clans so they can at least enjoy the H&S side of the game without being restricted by a bunch of rules.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:41 am      Reply with quote

I have been playing Arm for a couple years now and I have to say that, staff can be extremely helpful if you ask for help. Even though there is a steep learning curve, they've done a lot to counter that. They've got a new website and the forums are full of advice for new players. There is a lot of documentation and I wouldn't recommend jumping in until you read a lot of it. And I've been in plots and storylines, they are out there, but not all of them are visible. It's true at times there can be dips in player activity, but that's true of any game.Also, there are a few color scripts floating around if you're really bugged out by the lack of color. if you like hunting, they've got it, sparring, they've got it, crafting, they've got it. They've got assassins and pickpockets. They've got amazing places hidden around the world, that only those with enough courage and skill, or just dumb luck will ever see.. It does have its drawbacks, I wish the crafting was less fofy and sometimes there can be twinks who are quick to kill over rp, but I saw that in Atonement too, so...anyway, that's where I've been. With brief forays into Harshlands.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:34 pm      Reply with quote

Wow this is a fun discussion. I have to agree and disagree with Throttle on this one. More agree than disagree.

1> Player numbers. regardless of if it is 50 average to 80 average (and it does get between 60 to 80 on peak times still without rpt's going) the game has the higher player numbers of any rpi right now. This is a fact that without going into mushes I think anyone would have a hard time disputing.

2> Staff and friends only playing with friends. This happens on any game, but it's a myth that staff have pet friends they give stuff too and make the game more fun for. Arm staff are crazy secretive about who they are and on a casual level it can be difficult to impossible to talk to any of them. Follow that up with very strict standards on when they're allowed and how they're allowed to interact with pcs and it's very hard for them to play favorites. If you want to be a staff favorite and see things happen it's accomplished simply by submitting regular and detailed reports.

3> Arm is stagnant. This is I think Throttle main point. I couldn't agree more. I think reborn was a chance to get the game code fresh and new. It's very very very dated. Atonement has some of the newest code and code ideas of any game I've seen. It allows for players to facilitate their own rp with less staff interaction. Arm's code doesn't facilitate it as well anymore. The crafting system is far too old along with limited skill systems. Atonement using such a fresh crafting system allowed for limitless applications of skills and interaction with the code. Having played both games I can honestly say arm just feels old.

Arm has accomplished a lot, it is an impressive game, but it's success is hindered I think by the aged code. While the staff said they intend to take the arm reborn code and integrate it into the current game, I think it's a huge project and could be hundreds of volunteer staff hours away.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 am      Reply with quote

Wasn't Reborn cancelled?

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 am      Reply with quote

As a new game yes, but the staff have stated they still plan to use the code in the current game at some point. To be honest I'm not sure how this would work, they would have to 'upgrade' the game because to my knowledge the two codebases are so drastically different that anything written for reborn would be entirely incompatible with current arm. Also it's been so long in the making that I'm not holding my breath.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:39 pm      Reply with quote

Arm is still pretty much player driven these days, but the Staff is now working plots in also at times. They are trying to not distract away from player driven plots and supporting them more and more.

Arm in my opinion is a great game, yes there are some RP issues, lately that is because of all the new players we've had, and yes I have seen the OOC issues, but that is only if you get involved with the OOC issues. You have every choice to stay out of them. I try to take everything with a grain of salt and have fun with my character either way. So far I've been having a lot of fun and I've been playing since 2007.

Page 2 of 2   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic