Home

Register a new account  
reccomend me a game
Forum Index   Θ   OOC Chatter

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 pm      Reply with quote

ok, since parallel isn't going to happen soon, I need my fix of a good SF/cyberpunk rpi. I tried Sindome and I liked its atmosphere but it's clunky as fuck and the player count is low.

Any suggestions? Armageddon will remain my main mud but it doesn't have acid rain pouring down your slick shades, now does it

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote

play atonement rpi

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 pm      Reply with quote

MUDs are a niche game genre. RPIs are a niche kind of MUD. Cyberpunk is a niche kind of genre. I'm honestly surprised there's even Sindome at this point.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:24 am      Reply with quote

Aye, Cgib and I did a search on mudconnect and talked with alot of people about finding Rpi's or muds that even fit within that genre.. not really any

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm      Reply with quote

fine, I'll take horror, vampire, dark fantasy, anything that's rpi. (if I added furry, the search would be too easy)

btw, Sindome has many good things going on for it. Some really good players. What I don't like is that it's incredibly unwieldy. You need to carefully read three screens worth of text to see what someone looks like, for instance. Anyone else plays it? Maybe help me get into it

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 pm      Reply with quote

I use to play Sindome. Took a small break from it at first, but the break turned into half a year now. Anyways, great atmosphere, but it's nigh immpossible to find someone else to RP with most of the time unless you know their usual hangout, and pretty much everything needed for a craft of any kind is so expensive that there's nothing to do in the game but solo-RP mostly.

I did find a game just a few days ago called The Burning Post 2. Great game so far. Steep but very short learning curve on some commands at first, but the underlying feel of them seem really similar to Atonement.

To start, the biggest thing I believe the game has going for it is there are two main types of people; people who worship a god called the Lord of Springs and follow The Order of King Dav, and people who don't. Absolutely no middle ground between them. Mostly it's just the order hunting down anyone who sins. It always creates conflict which I find interesting. Lately, the Order's been doing "Reviews of Faith" on a crapton of semi-important people because someone's been threatening the Baronetess and tried to kill a detective.

This is magic in the game (just have to ask the staff to make you a mage, but I don't they would on your first character), but being one is a one-way ticket to the stake, which is where the game's name comes from. If you even have the potential for magic, the Order will tie you up and set you on fire because they believe the only way to cure you of your taint and for you to go to heaven is through immolation.

The Cult of Estacy is a group that actively undermines and tries to kill the Order. They try to save mages and use them against the Order.

The other groups are mainly neutral in regard to faith, and doing something illegal aside from heresy, magery, or murdering, usually won't get you killed and instead lashed, forced to pray, or go through pentinence.

Also a big factor in my opinion is a tell system. It's ooc, and it's personal; no one else sees it except maybe staff. Great for clearing something with another player without ruining immersion for other people in the room.

From my experience so far (my time is about -4 GMT), not many people at all during some parts of the day (it varies more or else around 5 or 6 all day long), but it kicks off at the usual peak hours of midnight and the most I've seen was 18 this last tuesday.

There is a where command so you know where people are, unless they choose to be hidden from the list, but most are visible usually. The island the game takes place on is fairly small, but has a town, keep, forest, beach, and a marsh. So it's not hard to find people when they're out in public.

The code is surprisingly sophisticated from what I've seen; though I'm not code savvy to begin with. Has a pathfinding feature. You train skills by practice, or through a thing called inspiration. You can inspiration automatically throughout the day, but you need xp to use it. You gain xp by using say, emote, or rpecho. (Rpecho's just like emote, but with it you can place words before your description)

Combat is done by cemotes. You don't attack automatically. The game picks up keywords in cemotes that determine what you try to do. It seems very complicated, but I'm not sure it'd be that hard in practice. A lot of different things affect combat, I mean a lot.

One bad thing is, it's hard (at least for me) to find a place to live. There's inns all over the island, with innkeepers, but actually getting a room means speaking with the PC owner or the Reeves (pretty much the police). Good news is, you can quit anywhere and you don't leave your body behind.

All in all, good game in my opinion. But a lot of trust is put into the players to not abuse code. It will surely become a problem in the future if the wrong type of mud player comes along, because there is no application process for this game. However, the trust works from what I've seen, and I like the openess it gives the players.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

I've played The Burning Post 2. Pretty solid game, good community. Just not my type of game-- too much OOC interaction in-game, too. Everyone knows who everyone else is.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic