Home

Register a new account  
Message Board People
Forum Index   Θ   Help Desk

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Chrjo12
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:45 pm      Reply with quote

This has me confused. From what point of view should messages be written? At the top of each message is,

"A blah blah person was seen spreading the following message: "

To me, that sounds like the message should be written in first person, but in several instances now I've seen people write from the board people/kids point of view. What is the correct way to write a message on one of the boards coded as a group of people and not actually a board?

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:47 pm      Reply with quote

First person.

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:24 pm      Reply with quote

The boards are also a good way of spreading information, even if a character wouldn't actively say it themselves.

First person is fine, but having it be from the point of view of the board or bystander is also allowed as long as it's information about your character or stuff that has been publicly mentioned etc.

In the case that you're spreading rumours about somebody else, your sdesc up at the top there just allows those rumours to be tracked back to you.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:41 pm      Reply with quote

The thing at the top is to prevent people from putting opinions into vnpcs and escaping anonymously. You may write the text of a board post in whatever style you'd like, so long as you understand that ICly it traces back to you.

If you post calling Joe mean names, and write it as if the locals are calling Joe mean names, you cannot act innocent when Joe comes to kick your ass.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 am      Reply with quote

^ What Holmes said.

Hazgarn
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 am      Reply with quote

I don't always take the time to do it myself, but when reading posts I feel that the vNPC method is generally more immersive, since the board is supposed to represent word of mouth.

A good point of etiquette to keep in mind with this style, though, in my opinion, is that you should try to keep your character's opinions and the NPC's opinions separate as much as possible. It's one thing to have some random member of the crowd relate something that you said with a direct quote or paraphrase, but having them all jump on board and agree with your opinion can be...kind of lame.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic