Register a new account  
Races
Forum Index   Θ   Help Desk

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:42 pm      Reply with quote

Martians are also obnoxiously tall compared to all other races.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 pm      Reply with quote

How about, "A tall, bald, martian man." "A thick, red-skinned titan woman," or "A lanky, black-eyed calistan fellow"?

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:24 pm      Reply with quote

HAL wrote:
How about, "A tall, bald, martian man." "A thick, red-skinned titan woman," or "A lanky, black-eyed calistan fellow"?

I, for one, approve. As much as I try to read everyone's descriptions, it can be tough to keep up on them, especially when most people only seem to read them the first time they see them, and add crowded environs, and people who right ridiculously long full descriptions... Well, I, for one, didn't even realize that Bastian was a Titan, until about 3 weeks into the game.

Guts
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm      Reply with quote

kel wrote:
Well, I, for one, didn't even realize that Bastian was a Titan, until about 3 weeks into the game.

Me too

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:40 pm      Reply with quote

^ although he mentioned it in one of my first interactions, I didn't know until then.

Bogre
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:40 pm      Reply with quote

I think the differences are subtle enough to have to pick them out by their descs.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:01 pm      Reply with quote

"calistan fellow" etc works for me.

Though if you're going to say that for chrissake describe the things that distinguish you from other calistans, not the the things that distinguish you from terrans, since we already know what that is -- you're a calistan. Cool

I would prefer not to.
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm      Reply with quote

Bartleby wrote:
"calistan fellow" etc works for me.

Though if you're going to say that for chrissake describe the things that distinguish you from other calistans, not the the things that distinguish you from terrans, since we already know what that is -- you're a calistan. Cool

There's something to be said for making a PC that's base-standard.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:13 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
There's something to be said for making a PC that's base-standard.

True, I suppose, from an entirely meta perspective. It's just one of those beginning-of-game things that you can't avoid, maybe, needing to clearly define what makes a calistan (for example) a calistan.

But there aren't really any base-standard people IRL, so from an IC point of view it's a bit awkward. Sure, an alien would have trouble distinguishing among us, we're all "a hairy, bipedal eyes-forward creature" to squid slimes from outer space. But to each other, we are distinguished by the things that make us different from one another, not the things that make us the same. And (to continue the example) calistans are still hairy, bipedal eyes-forward creatures, not squid slimes, so I think it's debatable whether they're sufficiently alien to warrant there being a "base-standard" in the view of terrans -- nevermind if you're also playing a calistan, in which case "a short, spindly big-eyed calistan" tells you nothing at all about what someone looks like.

My point wasn't that some people might like to play that unusual "hulking (for a calistan) squint-eyed (for a calistan) calistan fellow." It was more that, even if they're all short, spindly and big-eyed, they still don't look identical, so telling us that they're short, spindly and big-eyed doesn't really tell us much, especially if you're also telling us they're a calistan (which implies the above already.)

I would prefer not to.
Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:16 pm      Reply with quote

The problem there, Bartleby, with the 'hulking' example (to pick just one example) is that I suspect a number of players will compare those features to the Terran standard, rather than to that character's own race. I know that's what I do. If I see a short Martian, I don't think short for a Martian, I think short as a short Terran.

Maybe I'm just odd.

Page 2 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic