Home

Register a new account  
How did you get into RP/RPIs?
Forum Index   Θ   OOC Chatter

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 pm      Reply with quote

I'm really curious as to how people got into roleplaying, especially on MUDs and RPIs. I mean, I didn't even know they existed until a few months ago and I instantly got hooked because I have been post-by-post forum roleplaying since I was young, from a love of collaborative writing.

So... how did you get into RPIs, or even roleplaying in general? I like to think that it's a pretty niche hobby and that it's not for everyone (compared to like, what, MW3, LARPing or Yu-Gi-Oh or... Pokemon).

I totally stumbled upon the realm of MUDs, RPIs, text-based gaming by accident while I was looking for a sci-fi setting to experiment in (I wanted to try something new and was totally out of my comfort zone since I've mostly been part of the medieval/fantasy genre) and I discovered roleplaying on Neopets when I was like 10 or 11 years old (hahaha).

SO WHAT ABOUT YOU?

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:20 pm      Reply with quote

I found out about MUDs when Leo Laporte mentioned Achaea in passing like eight-nine years ago, on "The Screensavers".

I couldn't get into it, but for like a year or two I hopped around games until I found SoI in '04. I've played that on and off (mostly off) 'til '10, when I got back into it hard, and then Atonement launched. A good friend named HAL asked me if I wanted to admin a few months later, and the rest is poorly recorded history.

My first RP was some ridiculous DBZ play-by-email when I was like eight. Don't judge me.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm      Reply with quote

Let's see... I went from pen and paper D&D to hack'n'slash mudding, then I went to RPE's, and when those got boring, I stepped it up to RPI only. I've been text gaming for around 14 years, but I've only been RPI-ing for 5 of those years.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:35 pm      Reply with quote

I've played MUDs since I was like thirteen, starting out before I even really spoke English. It was all hack'n'slash PvP MUDs up through the late 90s, but I quit for quite a while until I stumbled upon the RPI Network in like 2006 or so. That led me to Shadows of Isildur and Armageddon which I played on and off until Atonement opened.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:53 pm      Reply with quote

throttle wrote:
I've played MUDs since I was like thirteen, starting out before I even really spoke English. It was all hack'n'slash PvP MUDs up through the late 90s, but I quit for quite a while until I stumbled upon the RPI Network in like 2006 or so. That led me to Shadows of Isildur and Armageddon which I played on and off until Atonement opened.

You can speak English?

TIL.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 pm      Reply with quote

I was into MUDs for a while before RPIs, and somehow got into roleplaying on Ultima Online free shards. And one day while browsing mudconnector, I saw something for SoI back in 2002. Got on, and well. It went from there. Been playing since I was sixteen.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:25 pm      Reply with quote

I started out doing forum RP years ago, and then I somehow ended up on Aetolia around 2004. I played there on and off for years, and while there was some great RP to be found there (it's considered the most roleplay intensive of the IRE MUDs), I totally wasn't into the hack-n-slash/coding element of it all. But, that's where I met Toz, who introduced me to RPIs, and I am grateful to him for that! I didn't have a chance to play Atonement, unfortunately, but I'm really looking forward to playing in Parallel with you all Smile

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 pm      Reply with quote

Believe it or not, Atonement was one of the first MUD games I got into. The other was Achaea, which I tried to get into but couldn't take it seriously since it was basically a hack and slash. I liked Atonement because it was serious and well...intensive. That, and I am an avid lover of the RPG genre. The whole, lost in space amnesiacs thing was just icing on the chocolate cake for me.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 pm      Reply with quote

The very first instance of roleplaying I ever involved myself iin was a TES: Morrowind forum rp when I was 10. I still remembered that I played as a horned red argonian; like a hulky Darth Maul but without the tattoos.

After that, I tried traditional MUDding, starting out on 4-Dimensions, but the game always confused me and I got tired of that feeling, so I went looking through a google search for "text-based roleplaying games" and that's how I learned about the term MUD. Searched websites and started playing the IRE game Lusternia. Played that from age 11 to age 14 and slowly got better and better at RPing instead of the combat side of the game.

I've never been good at the fast paced combat, because well, my connection has always sucked and people who buy credits always win in the end.

After that, I went to Aetolia, and played an outcasted vampire called Cauln. He was banned from the undead city; not to mention he was sired by one of the most unaccepted vampires due to their childish nature and being friendly to living beings. So, my guy was hated from the beginning by a good majority just by bloodline. But, his master got cured of vampirism, and Cauln became a Grand Duke, only about three or four titles below the highest. I did not realize that at the time until I deleted him, so, I pretty much screwed up a whole bloodline because I had no servants of my own. I'm not really sure why I'm saying this, but meh, I played it for two years until I was mid-17.

From that, I went to the newly-made Midkemia, which I made a counter-intelligence / document-maker for the intelligence branch of the light-side's city guard named Rehirege. Was second in command across three bosses. Even wrote the game's very first bestiary, and was halfway through making a guide between towns for one of the staff before I quit for Armageddon at 18.

Played Armageddon for only about a month until I died because some cannibal tried eatting me. After that, I went to Atonement. And that's pretty much all of my irrelevant rambling. But, hopely someone may remember me from those games.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 pm      Reply with quote

Also, I remember that someone from Atonement and possibly here is the one that played the cannibal on Armageddon that I was talking about.

If you are here and can see this, I'd like to ask for permission to possibly convert the log into a short story and upload it to FanFiction.net

Page 1 of 6   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic