Home

Register a new account  
Bodies, Breathers and Funerary Customs
Forum Index   Θ   Player Documentation

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:20 pm      Reply with quote

alright, I'll expand a bit on the ideas about paste you mentioned. Anything else you would like in it? You can tell me here or send a PM with what you'd like to see in general terms and I'll slap it together tonight/early morning tomorrow and send it to you.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:21 pm      Reply with quote

I think the idea for burial is GREAT! I would love to see headstones the most. It would make sense that someone who was buried would be visited by people from their past or by people who would leave things atop it.

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:08 pm      Reply with quote

HAL wrote:
Probably should create a Rust: Customs and Traditions document

I wish I could like posts. Like!

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 pm      Reply with quote

Moved to said forum

irkallia
Guide

f--- you that's my fish and i'm having sex with it

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:51 pm      Reply with quote

Aaaaauuugh.... y'all are being so narrow in the options here! Why are pasting, burial and burning the only options?

What about mummification? Given that it's an extreme desert climate, this would be dead easy to pull off without much complicated chemistry (just bury them for a while and then pull them out - only burying to protect them from rats/etc.), and then you could have that person permanently memorialized with some super-nifty mummy craft that turns them into a mummified corpse that we can then put into a crypt somewhere. Zomgcool.

I'm with Angr about "whytf do we still think eating people is bad?" But I don't want to copy myself from Beta too much. Razz In Beta, I developed my own set of funeral customs that involved breathing the body and then eating a handful of their raw paste so as to incorporate the dead person into the living, so that they would live on. I mean, we had Aztec traditions in that game, so that sort of thing really wasn't too out of line. Razz

But yes, before anyone yells at me, I realize this game isn't that one; I'm just saying I find it somewhat "twentieth century Earth normative" to be all "zomg ew eating people" when there's zero health reason not to, given the properties of the breathers.

I dunno; there have been so many amazingly awesome funeral traditions on Earth that I find it sort of a waste of an opportunity to just be like "oh yeah, we bury people" in a game where we can do WHATEVER WE WANT.

There are places where they hang mummified bodies on walls in robes. There are places where they let animals clean the bones and then pile them in a massive creepy awesome bone pile. There are places where they carve the bones of respected and important people into amazing works of art to memorialize them. Air burial by skimmers, anyone? I think that'd be bada**. Wink Also, we're treating this as incredibly secular, when really, disposal customs have almost always been incredibly religious, even in relatively secular cultures... but I suppose the lack of belief in Rust is a whole 'nother subject. Razz (People will always believe in things, gosh darnit, and when left alone they tend to get wackier and wackier! Again, my feeling is why waste a perfectly good opportunity to do whatever the heck we want. Grrr.)

Anyway. I suppose after however long it's been (a month?), the game's going to be relatively set, and I'm just going to be disappointed again. But I had to bring it up anyway. I think mummification would be super-awesome, at least, if not something even better and cooler. Razz

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 pm      Reply with quote

I do think, at a certain point, we do have to cow-tow to the general direction that Holmes & Throttle started when they set out on the project, to say nothing of my own thoughts. I don't quite think that mummification would really fall in line with that particular vision.

We /have/ seen, however, how different cultures outside of Rust have dealt with the problem. Cannibalism has been one, but I could imagine some bandits forming crypts with bones, or lining the sides of sewers with them like certain monastic orders.

In regards to belief, we have been working on certain things behind the scenes that will be introduced soon. I've been ordered specifically not to address /exactly/ what that is, but I could certainly hint that several people have already starting, IG, what will probably become some sort of dominant religion.

I mean, what kind of a culture, so far removed from our own contemporary one, would name a giant artifact in their midst after a sky God, if they didn't have, at some level, a belief in said God?

>_>
*has said too much!*

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:22 pm      Reply with quote

^ HAL, you ruined it all for me! now I just go around singing the praises of Almight ____ at the top of my lungs.

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 pm      Reply with quote

O _______, redeem us!

Excited to see religion - I think the existence of faith systems will easily lead to more natural cultural customs such as funerary practice.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:38 pm      Reply with quote

There are a great many varied forms of body disposal within recorded history, but most have one link in common : the one who disposes the corpse usually has no ownership of said corpse. Be it the undertaker, the gravedigger, or the priests who mummified the Egyptian pharoahs, there has always been a facilitator who handles the messy details so the grieving can get fancy with ceremony.

So, new role : Undertaker. Comes with a fancy hat and the three tubs of paste per day. Just so people always know just how booming business is.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:13 pm      Reply with quote

Brainwright wrote:
There are a great many varied forms of body disposal within recorded history, but most have one link in common : the one who disposes the corpse usually has no ownership of said corpse.

+1

Interested in religion, but a bit dubious about the idea of introducing the elements of only one new religion. At least there should be multiple possible interpretations of the same phenomena. There's a sense in which one religion is not any more interesting than no religions -- the interest comes from the interplay of different ideologies and belief systems.

Also, have to say I agree with a lot of what Irk said, and in all honesty, to me open-air burial makes more logical sense than any other method of body disposal besides breathing. Either you need the food, in which case you breathe, or you don't, in which case the least resource-intensive and most sanitary way of getting rid of a body is to let the vast wasteland remove it for you. Likewise, burying the body under enough sand/dirt in a climate like the one that exists outside of Rust might easily result in sand mummification without any further labor on the part of the disposer(s).

All of which makes more sense to me than hacking up polycrete and burying the body under the ground inside town -- and let's hope the pall-bearers wash their hands, and that those decomposing corpses don't get into the water supply.

I would prefer not to.
Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic