Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
Crafting checks
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:12 am      Reply with quote

Would it be possible to make it so when crafts check what material to use for an item they check the item in our hands first?

To many times I've head the leather I wanted in my hand, but used sub-par materials just because it's been laying on the floor.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 am      Reply with quote

I'm pretty confident consumed materials have to either be on the ground ot in hand. Don't think you can specify in hand only for them. I'll double check later if no one else has replied.

Bogre
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am      Reply with quote

You need to dwarf fortress a bit and make sure the only supplies in the room are the ones you want to use!

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 am      Reply with quote

The problem really is that you can only hold two things, so while we can specify something to need to be held in a craft, some crafts will need more than two objects.

The materials command will say whether things need to be in room or held, and 'check list object' will tell you whether the object you want is the first one in the room.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm      Reply with quote

It's more, I'm in a room full of treated hides and I want make something with a certain hide. I pick up the required hide, have it in my hands and craft.... but instead the selected one in hand it'll use whatever is first in the room. I imagine it's the same for tailoring, manufacturing... doing pretty much anything craft wise. It's not at all possible to have a craft check against what's in hand (or prioritising what's in hand) before checking the room for the required materials?

Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:43 pm      Reply with quote

Prioritizing what's in hand before what's in the room would be a really useful thing for crafting.

Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:42 pm      Reply with quote

Agreed. I've accidentally delayed weapons for people, because I held one bar, that was half used, and the code used the full bar in the room.

That being said, It almost never happens now, as I just leave the extra materials in a pack on the floor as i work.

Ice
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm      Reply with quote

Thats the best way. There are two basic object methods for consumables, in room and in hand. In room can be anywhere, in hand only whats in your hand, and it HAS to be in your hand. A lot of crafts require more than two objects to consume, so its kind of a tossup.

Best just learn from your mistakes and don't craft in a huge room full of random materials.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:55 am      Reply with quote

Here is the best way to fix that. Keep work areas CLEAN *is irked by everyone who doesnt organize*

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 am      Reply with quote

Bogre wrote:
You need to dwarf fortress a bit and make sure the only supplies in the room are the ones you want to use!

True enough this. Some crafts tend to have a lot of materials, and if you leave some of the consumables lying around, which ever one would be the first one you pick up usually gets consumed first or something funky

PS: Dorfs are amazingly stupid. And amazing.

And then they kissed. They kissed like like lovers, like friends, like rivals, like enemies. They kissed... like soul mates.
Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic