Home

Register a new account  
Frost Bite, Sun Burn and You
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Tiamat
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm      Reply with quote

I'm just chiming in here as a general thought on weather design. Mars was a bit harsh in how much it punished you for going out at inopportune times. It was designed so that the best times to go out were at dusk/dawn, where you suffered no damage at all. If you're going out in the mid-day in the desert, hell yeah you're gonna burn. For playability's sake though, I don't see why you can't tone that down but keep some of those aspects in, such as a debuffer on stamina, and what not. You could also lengthen the "grace period" of when it's appropriate to truck through the wilderness, so it's not just 1 RL hour. I think the environment should have a bigger role in immersing yourself in the player-world, but not to the extent of killing RP opportunities.

caellyndria
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 pm      Reply with quote

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to minor weather things with bigger, more lenient windows outside. But it's understandably an overhaul. I think what might be possible to have people realizing and immersing beyond remembering to type weather or take cues from others is to add more ambiance echos about the weather and time of day, more detailed breeze reports, etc.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 pm      Reply with quote

I, personally, don't think weather changes fast enough right now for any sort of weather effects to be anything but obnoxious.

Songweaver
Registered

Bad Mama Jama

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:19 am      Reply with quote

Second what Tiamat says here about Mars. Mars lacked much in the way of dangerous wildlife, instead offering dangerous environment. It was built from the bottom up with this in mind.

You could certainly create a subtler immersive environment. It's also not impossible to have ifchecks to look for specific clothing that can protect against any subtle weather affects, but it gets tricky. It also gets tricky to deal with NPCs interacting with the weather this way.

Basically, if you want to do something like what we did for Mars, even in a subtler way, you sort of have to build it from the ground up with that in mind. Otherwise, it'd be a ton of work and perhaps not truly worth it. With that said, there are other things that you could do with weather that is immersive and might not be as problematic:

Rainfall could be scripted and could fill up ditches or canals to provide sources of water that could be filtered/cleaned/used. Likewise, rainfall and/or drought could affect plantlife. Those sorts of systems would be a bit easier to implement from the top-down. But it's all about what the game needs: using weather to create extra nodes of resources doesn't do much if the game doesn't lack for those resources already (or demand them for the IC world to run properly).

No solutions, just some thoughts.

Page 2 of 2   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic