Home

Register a new account  
Politics
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 am      Reply with quote

Politics is a huge part of the game. Its suppose to be and its one of the reasons I play this game. Politics can be broken down into three parts, internal family politics, inter family politics, indie-family politics.

Internal family politics:
This is a big one. Internal politics deal with who is leading, who is getting promoted, what direction the family is taking on a cultural level. Internal family politics also relates to how a turf is run. Think of a families turf as an independent country and each family is the government.

-Leadership, when someone dies the next in line usually just steps up that was the next rank in line. There has yet to be and political skisms where a faction of a family supports one PC as a leader and another faction supports a different PC. So far there has been a dynastic line of succession. Part of why this is, when the leader dies the next in line gets promoted based on OOC rank usually, this doesn't allow a possibly better leader to take over in the power vacuum.

-Culture: There has been a number of complaints within each families board (I've seen all three) that there isn't enough clearly defined culture behind each clan. The niners wanted to have mini-gangs that all answered to one boss but the current IC leadership didn't swing that way. WHICH IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE. Leaders are dictators in a communist regime. All resources go to the good of the family but they sit just on top and decide what way the family goes and put in place directives. Families shouldn't feel stuck in their ways, there is no reason you can't have different forms of governments in your families and different ways of doing things. If a family rewarded its long time members with money and a private home on turf, that family would be very popular. Communism isn't for everything, in fact every indie is an indie because they want to amass wealth rather than donate it.

-Turf: Turf is our land, our country. Our country which we ignore, our vnpc citizens which we reject and we have no desire for immigration from the indie community. This is wrong. We SHOULD be building like crazy to make our family turfs the best. We should desire that independents move out of the market on to our turf. We could move them into shacks or shops, collect money for them in exchange for market script. Call them to arms as a militia in a war if we have to. The reason this does not work is the MARKET No one wants to leave the market's safety, all the commerce occurs in the market as well. However because the market exist, the indies have been separated from families. Not a single independent lives on family turf. Many argue that if one did that person would not be an independent and as one family puts it they would be a 'dependent'. I argue that every vnpc that lives outside the market is a dependent to one family except for the neutral zone. Independent PC's should be driven to be dependents.

If each family turf is a country, the market is like an island between them which is immune to invasion and is not subject to the three surrounding countries laws, only their influence. I argue that island shouldn't exist. Indie pc's should not be forced to join a family, instead they should become a citizen of one of these countries or be in the unsafe neutral zone.

Inter Family Politics: From day one there has been a 2v1 dynamic where two familes work together to scav and offer mutual protection and one family is essentially outcast in some way. The only way a conflict can occur is if the two familys that work together decide to attack the lone single family. This has happened once because the single family dared it.

The problem with this system is honestly perpetual peace. No one can dare rock the boat or will surfer for it. In grungetown you at least had a 2v2 situation, and generally wars were a 1v1 fight where 2 families would not get involved. Perhaps that was due to the size of the town and lack of mutual goals. The fact is, war and diplomacy were very key in grungetown. The turf system also played a real impactful role in resources and defense. Turf also made it so a family wouldn't be wiped out and camped into their base because npc's would spawn and defend the turf.

Indie-Family politics:
I mentioned this above, the indies live in the market which is a separate country that is untouchable to the other three family countries. Indies have no reason to leave the market and settle on a families turf.

What should happen is that a family builds private homes and sells them to indies for a good profit, or families build workshops/shops in which indies move into and are paid in market script in exchange for taxed chips. This wont happen until the market is no longer the neutral ground that it is, nor will it happen unless families build the infrastructure to support dependents.

I have not really seen market script work yet. It might just be me but market script was suppose to be used in almost any indie interaction but I'm fairly certain that all remaining indies would rather chips anyways. Or it is possible that the families have absolutely no reason to go to indies and trade the script for armor/weapons/supplies. Indies should become Dependants who are essentially the working class/crafters.

Families= Governments
Indies= Citizens

I will note that this would breath life back into being an independent.

My final point: Communism, I don't know why or how but for some reason communism has always been a key factor of almost every single RPI clan I've seen. There is very little room for personal growth. Once you are a family member you work for the greater good until one day you are hopefully the leader and can benefit. This does not have to be the way of thing, epically if dependents move into family turfs. A family would no longer need to be a communist state, instead it would soak up its resources from the citizens of its turf and anyone who decided to work and fight for the family would earn a slice of the pie.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 pm      Reply with quote

A fine post. Had it been by others it would of got a lot more rightly deserved attention, office politics I guess.

One thing I would add is that before the wars start I would assume the Communism refers to the stereotypical Communism, Stalinism or Maoism.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:04 pm      Reply with quote

*Edit - removed double post*

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 pm      Reply with quote

I skimmed it but I plan to read it later. The communism thing is really up to how clan leads run things. It can be difficult to do it any other way once you reach a certain size.

Bogre
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:39 pm      Reply with quote

Well, family leadership succession doesn't always have to be a power struggle. This initial game has only ever had 2 leaders turn over, so getting worried that it's always going to happen that way is sort of putting the cart before the horse. In ARPI beta, most clans recycled leaders this way- which makes sense, it's usually the most senior member that has the most friends, experience, and whatever to take over. A lot of times you see the next-in-line abdicate quickly if that person doesn't like the new experience of leadership being thrust on them. I believe the Niners are a good example of that in PRPI, and the Reds in late ARPI.

Attempted coups are rare, and with good reason. It shouldn't always be a struggle.

As for family v family always turning into 2 vs 1, I think that a lot of times it's mostly a 2 family conflict, but the 3rd family doesn't want to be left out and so joins in to influence outcomes to some extent. And so usually conflicts turn pretty one-sided.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic