Home

Register a new account  
How to Avoid Stagnation
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:42 am      Reply with quote

I'm a giant hypocrite. Because I'm giving up entirely on some of the proactive things I had in mind.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 am      Reply with quote

Off the top of my head idea. Material-sink projects that are necessary to keep a higher standard of living like what we had back in atonement. Keep doing this if you want to make your quality of life a little less nightmarish. Nothing too major. Keeping your turf vnpcs happy with the occasional bulk drop of hides and food otherwise they might get pissy and like their overlords a little less(consequence: maybe a huge drop in gains for the turf family in charge of an area attempting to help out with those chip giving NPCs?)

Or maybe like, "tribute" to the neutral market faction to keep their people supplied and in return we all get to keep doing our thing under their watchful eye, or they might start looking away when bad stuff happens to the families not paying their dues.

Little stuff like that with consequences that aren't too major. But certainly a hassle if you aren't mindful of your upkeep. It'd be amusing if it was cumulative too with increasingly drastic consequences.

Things to keep people active. Things to think about.

clock
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:25 am      Reply with quote

Could be interesting!

Things like that certainly can make a nice supplement to an active game.

Songweaver
Registered

Bad Mama Jama

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

My uninformed thoughts, as a complete outsider, for whatever little they are worth:

The game was designed to be a sandbox. Inherently, that puts pressure on the players to take personal responsibility for the creation, execution and longevity of in-game culture, on-going stories, etc. Are you taking the steps, when you design your next character, to fill out their nooks and crannies in a way that not only pays homage to what the playerbase has done with this game so far - but actually builds upon it?

There's an upside and a downside to sandboxes, certainly. One of the upsides is increased player freedom. One of the downsides is less specifically designed direction.

Out of everything that I've read in this thread, here's what I think:

RPIs, whether more sandbox-oriented or more linear/story-oriented (like Atonement), need to have an effective means to present consequences for actions. Part of this falls upon the players, and part of it falls on the administration and design. You want the players to take risks and create their own stories, and that's only as possible as it is for them to actually see the results of their efforts.

I want to start a gang war, but I want to focus more on cold-war style tactics and roleplay than actual PK. So maybe I try to go bomb a key building of supplies for the opposing gang. Now, this is only possible if (A) there is a means (through code or staff-aid) to actually bomb the building and change the gameworld permanently, and (B) there is a fair but believable amount of risk involved for the character attempting the bombing.

This is a small example, but it applies to so many other possibilities. You don't want to just go on scav runs; you want to take the resources you have and do something with it.

Be PROACTIVE. Think BIG.Then, if there isn't a means for you to actually pursue your idea, go to the staff and say, "Hey, I want to do this. Here's all of the prep work I've done. Can you work with me?"

Even more points if your roleplay requires interactivity and group effort from many people. Maybe you're building a spaceship out of old parts to get the Hell off this rock. Sure, the staff can't really let you go to a new area (unless they want to open another world), but think about the fun they can have with that as a plot. Maybe you want to start a cult! Or a new gang! Create something with longevity and really distinct culture.

Get specific. Make it yours. Bring in the staff. They need you for inspiration just as much as you need them.

That's my advice, for whatever it's worth.

clock
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:55 pm      Reply with quote

Your post is a great message to send to the players, but honestly, you can't hold them to any kind of expectations like that. It's not a long-term solution. I'm merely suggesting that the gameworld needs restructuring. If not a sweeping change like I've suggested, more documentations and history for the clans could be a nice next step( (credit to grandpa for the idea), and I think that's something everyone can agree on.

Let me be clear, I'm not in a rush. But the game needs to be heading in a direction that involves more complexity in the gameworld.

Wilde and the staff say they've got something planned, so I'm optimistic about that. We'll see how things go.

Page 3 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic