Cybernetics/RPP: Side-discussion
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:15 pm      Reply with quote

Go.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 am      Reply with quote

Boo. RPP bad.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:14 am      Reply with quote

Random thought on the subject. If I wanted a titan with 3-RPP cybernetics I would assume this would be allowed given I had 5 points?

You synchronise a resilient, pink handheld control with a
rubbery screen to a vaguely-humanoid mountain of machinery
WorkerDrone
Registered

Duke Attitude

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:07 am      Reply with quote

Nah. I've been told you can have one or the other.

If you have the RPP for the race or above, you can for example, get cybernetics and app in as a Titan with the cyber's bonuses, for cosmetic purposes.

You can't stack bonuses like that though.

cruelcore
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:45 pm      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
Boo. RPP bad.

+1

Having more IC options for OOC reasons seems like a terrible idea imo. Things like your race can't be chosen ICLY. Please, please, please, keep RPP limited to OOC things.

Edit: If this were implemented, there should be a % that the operation kills you.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:13 pm      Reply with quote

cruelcore wrote:
crayon wrote:
Boo. RPP bad.

+1

Having more IC options for OOC reasons seems like a terrible idea imo. Things like your race can't be chosen ICLY. Please, please, please, keep RPP limited to OOC things.

Edit: If this were implemented, there should be a % that the operation kills you.

And RPP is limited to OOC things here, Cruelcore: your stats. RPP doesn't stop you from going for those cybernetics, it stops you from going from a slightly-above average man that can wield a sword and shortsword to a superhuman beefmonster than can wield a greatsword in one hand and a sword in the other. You can chose to do any of this for IC reasons that don't matter OOCly.

Tyrant wrote:
Random thought on the subject. If I wanted a titan with 3-RPP cybernetics I would assume this would be allowed given I had 5 points?

The current proposal is entirely related to IG cybernetics. If you had a titan, you'd get the cybernetics built/installed, and if you had 3RPP you could bump your titan's bonuses to 4RPP bonuses. (Titan=2RPP, cut in half rounded down). But that's something Staff haven't weighed in on at all, and is entirely, 100% the most insignificant part of this.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
And RPP is limited to OOC things here, Cruelcore: your stats.

Whoa. Slow your roll gramps.

Stats are VERY MUCH an IC thing.

grandpa wrote:
GET OFF MY LAWN YOUNGSTER!

Okay, okay, fine. Moving.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote

IDK how the stats would be done honestly. A PC can have X amount of stats for X amount of RPP a person spends on a PC. Allowing someone to app in with 2 RPP then wait until they had 2 RPP again to make their PC=a 4 RPP PC seems kind of like a loop hole.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:40 pm      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
grandpa wrote:
And RPP is limited to OOC things here, Cruelcore: your stats.

Whoa. Slow your roll gramps.

Stats are VERY MUCH an IC thing.

grandpa wrote:
GET OFF MY LAWN YOUNGSTER!

Okay, okay, fine. Moving.

Your stats aren't particularly IC, and have only the most minimal of effects on how you play your PC: int isn't how smart your PC is.

"General: Intelligence

Intelligence is an objective measure of how well your mind acquires
and retains data, and also the ability to notice pertinent details."

Wil isn't how stubborn your PC is.
"General: Willpower

Willpower measures the ability of your character to ignore pain and
adverse conditions while still performing at a decent rate."

It's IC, to some extent, but it's mostly related to the cold hard code. Stats are so minimal, and boosts to them are definitely OOC.

Matt wrote:
IDK how the stats would be done honestly. A PC can have X amount of stats for X amount of RPP a person spends on a PC. Allowing someone to app in with 2 RPP then wait until they had 2 RPP again to make their PC=a 4 RPP PC seems kind of like a loop hole.

Hence why in the original proposal I was saying the same thing: I don't know what the elegant solution is. I do think perhaps 1/2 of whatever your PC is at(2RPP, let's say) could be counted towards whatever you're trying to buy(4RPP, let's say).

cruelcore
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:58 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
[Your stats aren't particularly IC, and have only the most minimal of effects on how you play your PC: int isn't how smart your PC is.

"General: Intelligence

Intelligence is an objective measure of how well your mind acquires
and retains data, and also the ability to notice pertinent details."

[Wil isn't how stubborn your PC is.
"General: Willpower

Willpower measures the ability of your character to ignore pain and
adverse conditions while still performing at a decent rate."

It's IC, to some extent, but it's mostly related to the cold hard code. Stats are so minimal, and boosts to them are definitely OOC.

This isn't a fact. This is your opinion. I've always thought playing a poor int character as a savvy super genius is poor role-playing. The day staff say that you can disregard intelligence as being a measure of how smart your character is, will the day I'll step aside and concede on this.

It's also not a fair argument. You chose to highlight the two stats that aren't physical. Strength is undoubtably a measure how strong your character and the same can be said for agility and such. I know this because my characters with higher strength can lift more and my characters with higher agility move faster. It's also worth pointing out:

Cyborg Documentation wrote:
Not only has a damaged part of your body been replaced, but its function has been noticeably enhanced as you learned to use it once again. This is a modification that is difficult to hide, and most will know you for being a cyborg. A spine might be sturdier and allow you a quicker ease and reaction time, replaced arms and the pectoral girdle may make you obviously much stronger, or your legs are now quicker than they once were..

Bolded for emphasis. Even the documentation says that a cyborg will notice enhancement. It makes no sense to handwave it because the player doesn't have enough RPP. I'd rather this feature not be added at all if it offers higher RPP players an IC advantage (the current suggestion does).

Page 1 of 5   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic