Home

Register a new account  
Player character built buildings
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:29 pm      Reply with quote

As it stands, we can only build buildings with water and plumbing, consisting primarily of metal and plastic. The below might merit two threads, but I don't fancy the second part will garner many replies other than off Matt, so here it is:

1) enable the construction of crude shanties. These would consist only of a frame and walls, with no electricity or plumbing. They could only be built in the slums or on Family turf. I think it should be possible to reuse some of the existing dwelling code to generate buildings automatically, so all you'd need on top of that would be an actual visible object in the world to enter, as opposed to going in via a prog in the slums? Perhaps, anyway; I don't know what's available to use here. Maybe some variation on how tents worked?

In any case, however the code goes, make them cheap to build, and destructible (destruction would spill room contents into the room they're in, I guess? Or make it have to be empty). As well as a locked door, put in a prog such that the door can be kicked in. This would, I should think, generate a vNPC witness report for people to act on -- or not. If the buildings can be location sensitive, have the break-in take markedly longer on Family turf, as well as echoing around the turf that something's going on, so PCs can react. In the slums, the only defense would be a retroactive one, probably.

This would, I hope, enable dirt-cheap dwellings for people, albeit without the security provided by a proper construction or paying up for a place. Idea's far from perfect, but I see people unhappy with the current chips-for-shanties system, so there it is.

2) concrete and masonry (the Moon has a lot of rock, apparently :p ) would be pretty cool to see. I don't know at all how readily these things could be integrated into existing crafts. Guess that's largely for Matt/somebody to put a word in on? Are alternative materials for building an option?

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:25 pm      Reply with quote

I don't see why it couldn't be possible... but is there not enough excess of alion/plastic to just make a simpler construction craft? I could see maybe using the current mining bots we have IG to get construction slabs but that'd be up to Holmes. I'd be fine making more basic crafts but once again its up to Holmes to OK.

Idk how I feel about making them break in able though honestly myself. I can see many complaints stemming from it. Kind of keeps people from boarding at the same time though.

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
I don't see why it couldn't be possible... but is there not enough excess of alion/plastic to just make a simpler construction craft? I could see maybe using the current mining bots we have IG to get construction slabs but that'd be up to Holmes. I'd be fine making more basic crafts but once again its up to Holmes to OK.

Idk how I feel about making them break in able though honestly myself. I can see many complaints stemming from it. Kind of keeps people from boarding at the same time though.

Oh, sure. I mean, to clarify: idea's for the shoddy shacks to be alion/plastic. The masonry/concrete's a different idea, but it could add some variety, I guess?

Though the shacks are an idea meant for those who don't want to fork out the 15 chips for a market place, and don't want to get a proper place built on Family turf with water and power, I guess? So people can go slumming it, essentially.

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:16 pm      Reply with quote

I don't picture the majority of falling down shanties even having locks (or even doors, I see curtains covering entryways). More like the sorts of structures that you could just bend a wall at the corner and step in.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic