Home

Register a new account  
Lore Q & A
Forum Index   Θ   Player Documentation

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:43 pm      Reply with quote

Given the vine behavior mentioned above, I can say the primary problem lies in that a generated vine just grows without any extra input.

Ideally, a vine would need to find another corpse to grow, and then the growth of vines would be tied to the number of corpses generated.

Then you could tie the health of a vine to finding corpses, and have the maximum number of large, dangerous vine tied to how many corpses the game world generates without player intervention.

If the vines started squeezing out player activities, then there would be less players around spreading corpses, and the number of dangerous vines would be reduced to a specific minimum.

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:40 pm      Reply with quote

Barkers do exist. There's a problem with the way they're loaded at the moment. It's being looked into.

Vines no longer exist. There are no plans to bring them back.

I'll try and address some of the other stuff at some point in the hopefully not too distant future.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:52 am      Reply with quote

Does marriage as an institution survive in Rust? Also related to that, is there any kind of organized religion? I know in Attone there was only Scientology but I just realized that I don't think anything actually says for this setting?

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

Regarding marriage,

I'm unsure if it's something that's survived in a meaningful way throughout Rust as a whole, but it is practiced on the East Side and in New Guard families, from what I've seen.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 pm      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
Regarding marriage,

I'm unsure if it's something that's survived in a meaningful way throughout Rust as a whole, but it is practiced on the East Side and in New Guard families, from what I've seen.

I've seen it mentioned by people from all over, I'm just wondering how the practice is still done when, at least to my experience, it's primarily a religious thing? And at least in the previous iteration of this setting, there was no real religion (unless you were a militant Christian).

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 pm      Reply with quote

The idea of two people binding themselves in a meaningful relationship has survived, though whether you account it to religion or not is entirely up to you. People may stick together out of stubbornness, need, safety, or usefulness. Of course, you'll be hard-pressed to find a minister or priest to make a marriage 'official' in a Christian sense, what with the lack of available religious texts and those with the ability to read them.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:07 pm      Reply with quote

I've never thought or marriage as a purely religious thing simply because you can marry a horse and cart, a stone to a ring space shuttle to space station. As another poitn, you don't need a priest or religion to get married. Many people just go down to the courthouse and fill out the paperwork without pomp or ceremony.

Taking marriage/marrying in a literal sense, it's just the joining of two things.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 am      Reply with quote

I see it as this, some sort of thing like marriage exists in pretty much every culture. If there's even one culture that doesn't do it for spiritual or religious reasons, that means it can crop up without those things. On the other hand, if every single religion has marriage, it's too much of a coincidence and means that it was already a part of human life before they started, like the desire for people to not kill others in their own group.

Not to mention other mammals have selective pairing too.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:13 pm      Reply with quote

Monogamy (and by extension, marriage) is (unless you're religious) probably best described as the likely result of an evolutionary trait; with the duration of childhood in humans, the atomic family is advantageous towards a child's chances of successfully making it to adulthood (or conversely being successful upon reaching adulthood).

Every belief system (and science) has some explanation for monogamy/marriage/pairing rites, it doesn't much matter what the explanation is, so much as that there is one.

Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic