Register a new account  
Runs
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:11 pm      Reply with quote

Lowdy wrote:
Well, Kelp is gatherable Razz If you have the scav skill, you get more kelp leaves than someone without the scavenge skill

If you have the scav skill, you will be bathing in kelp. The sewers alone can bring in an average of 30 pods, which is 6 barrels of astringent, 24 vials of dye or 360 applications of Artefix.

I would personally like something that can be done with 2-3 average combatants. Big groups were never really my thing.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:09 pm      Reply with quote

Scav will get you kelp but you need biology for the pod gathering.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:24 pm      Reply with quote

Yea, I was just saying that it's the only scavenge gather item outthere..... I think monitors are the same way too.... not sure.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 pm      Reply with quote

Does robot/machine breakign up count here?

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:50 pm      Reply with quote

no, those are a craft that uses mech/elec. Those also have timers for ordinary and up!

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:55 pm      Reply with quote

Slyviolin wrote:
At the moment I'm also a bit against, "PROBLEM ERUPTS? TAKE OUT BIGGER GROUPS TO OVERPOWER" mindset the vines at the factories have sprung into player's heads. I thought, by the tone of the previous forum topic, we really wanted to get away from this mindset?

I think that's just kind of the sane reaction, both ICly and OOCly. It's just a risk-benefit assessment. If the risk is greater than the potential gain, you wait until the risk is minimized. It gets into players' heads for a reason. When the only approach players can reasonably take through their characters towards a problem is combat, more often than not, the things they're being set to fight are set to require numerous people to be dealt with.

It's a culture that comes as a perfectly sane response to game elements, both in the wilderness itself, and in plots, in conjunction with a lack of 'variety' in the difficulty of the game outside of the sewers and city itself.

At the same time, it's not an especially bad thing when we have a large number of people. It's a way of seeing to it that a story is delivered to a larger portion of the pbase than otherwise. But parts of the wilderness and plots alike should be set up with a mind for the scale of player-group size that they should be intended for, with risk and benefit scaled accordingly.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 pm      Reply with quote

I'ld point out it may be 'a' sane reaction, not 'the' sane reaction.

To be honest though, I didn't look at this problem as another big thing to fight, I actually thought this was the admin's attempt to have smaller groups go out and to make scavving a bit moreinteresting.

I admit, however, that I'm a problem solver type gamer compared to a combat orientated one. My personal logic went like this: Gaint monster turns up and gets annoyed at noise. Take out smaller, sneakier groups that won't make as much noise that can maybe sneak past said monster making scavving both risky and suspenseful.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:40 pm      Reply with quote

Sadly, the scarcity of hide/sneak characters, and certain coded aspects of hide/sneak as a mechanism, in conjunction, make small stealth-based running groups hard to get together and manage.

Otherwise, I'd agree with that being a valid and overall beneficial approach.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:42 am      Reply with quote

Eh, I've taken the new mobs to be unstable and random, which generally means you can't tell whether you're going to fight them or not.

So people just bring the amount of force necessary to kill them.

Then there's groups of six being hunted down by a group of four lagatos.

My experience outdoors lately has led me to believe only large groups can survive.

Ideally, I would love to be able to push back large, aggressive animals so I could legitimately retreat with something other than the super random-sauce flee or letting the mobs wear you down to two stars of health.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:50 am      Reply with quote

I did have one idea a while back for scavving, and it went something like this :

Basically, you consider an area consisting of a group of rooms. You decide what can be found there, which rooms specific items can be found in, and then use the forage command to populate the rooms with foragables.

The players then travel through the area, picking up their scrap as they go along.

Essentially, the more people you brought along, the more random scrap you would get and the more people you have to search.

This is less discrete than the current regime, but it also encourages groups to split up as a matter of efficiency, which also lets staff pick on them without using group-shattering force.

Also, we'd actually need to use radios to communicate. Go figure.

Page 2 of 2   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic