Register a new account  
Craft Ideas
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:13 pm      Reply with quote

Honestly if your character is a master firearms/electronics/mechanics wizard I doubt anyone could come up with a good enough excuse as to why you cant have a laser pistol, lol.

Briefly I toyed with the idea of weaponizing plasma treaters but for the same reasons above, it was a little too out there to bother with. Just because an idea is really cool doesn't mean its necessary.

I know this idea sounds corny but...construct metal-detector. Mechanics/Electronics hybrid craft. Small(or medium maybe) boost to forage. I know, I know. Forage isnt exactly hard to up. But it is nice to not fail as often finding the stuff you want.

Also, grenades would be fun in a variety of flavors. Frak grenades made from metal cans and propellant. Incendiary grenades filled with hydrocarbon mess. EMP for the occasional rogue bot. I imagine it'd be a matter of progging items to delete themselves after a few ticks of being activated and exploding anyone in the particular room.(with defensive rolls where appropriate. bonus if you're in cover)

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:36 pm      Reply with quote

Some of these things sound cool, some sound like they'd fit better in a different setting.

But so far, most of these things are heavy coding/progging-related moreso than actual craft related.

mag3man1
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:06 pm      Reply with quote

We tried the grenade thin in Atonement, IIRC. It didn't work out. They wound up being too powerful and really, really weird to use. Like, the timers/progs/etc. on them were all kinds of messed up and made using them difficult for everyone.

That said, I don't know if current staff would like to implement them, but grenades, I think, would be a bad idea all around. There's just something about explosives in these kinds of games that just doesn't benefit anyone. Either they're realistic, and kill anything they hit, or they're fantastic and explode and don't do... quite enough. I'd suggest they just stay out of the game.

slickblades
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:43 pm      Reply with quote

mag3man1 wrote:
There's just something about explosives in these kinds of games that just doesn't benefit anyone. Either they're realistic, and kill anything they hit, or they're fantastic and explode and don't do... quite enough. I'd suggest they just stay out of the game.

Could there be place a for genetically coded mines? This could involve biology to get the genetic sequence of say a large croc, mechanic/electronic to create a sensor to detect the sequence, and then weaponsmith to combine the parts into a mine? Too much?

slickblades

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:12 pm      Reply with quote

The modern day people of Rust can build a Dell and a compact radio and some -very- crude cybernetic prosthetic (probably about the level modern day us can do.. google it). And that's about the extent of their technological knowledge.

The catch, though. Is all of this is done through cobbled parts. Sure, we can make a computer, but it's done with microcomponents and microprocessors that we find. We can't actually make those components, it's beyond our technological capability.

Same thing with the other sciences... We can make mystical-level medicines... as long as we use a data stick that has a formula that's way beyond our knowledge to create from scratch. And using a sci-fi machine that we salvaged, because creating new ones is far beyond our knowledge.

So... things like laser rifles, or genetically coded mines, I'd say, is way to far out there. And, really, doesn't fit the theme.

As for anything explosion-ey... The absolute last thing this game needs is better ways to PK.

Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 pm      Reply with quote

I can make a totally cool explosion

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:57 pm      Reply with quote

Cool guys don't look at explosions.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:47 am      Reply with quote

Yes, but in Rust, explosions look at you.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:29 pm      Reply with quote

stitch stuffed-squick wrote:

Manufacturing: stitch stuffed-squick
Phase 1: 20 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 4 of a treated $lizcolor0 $lizleather1
skin, a treated $leathercolor0 $dogleather1 hide, or a bolt of $color
$polymesh fabric.
Phase 2: 20 seconds Familiar Handicraft skill required.
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 2 of a $plasticcolor case of sewing
materials.
Skill: Handicraft vs 1d60
Phase 3: 20 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): a bale of foam batting.
Produced: a small $polymesh1-skinned $color0 stuffed squick.
OOC Delay Timer: 2 RL Hours

stitch stuffed-croc wrote:

Manufacturing: stitch stuffed-croc
Phase 1: 30 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 6 of a treated $lizcolor0 $lizleather1
$polymesh fabric.
Phase 2: 30 seconds Familiar Handicraft skill required.
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 4 of a $plasticcolor case of sewing
materials.
Skill: Handicraft vs 2d40
Phase 3: 30 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 4 of a bale of foam batting.
Produced: a large $polymesh1-skinned $color0 stuffed crocodile.

stitch stuffed-gato wrote:

Manufacturing: stitch stuffed-gato
Phase 1: 40 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 12 of a treated $lizcolor0 $lizleather1
$polymesh fabric.
Phase 2: 20 seconds Familiar Handicraft skill required.
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 6 of a $plasticcolor case of sewing
materials.
Skill: Handicraft vs 2d40
Phase 3: 20 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 8 of a bale of foam batting.
Produced: a $polymesh1-skinned $color0 stuffed horn-faced lizard.

These all should be in next copyover. If any issues crop up, let me know.

I set them up so the crafts can sort of fill a dual function; you can make both unrealistic toys with it, using colorful fabric of a preferably fluffy variety, and realistic stuffed animals using real skins, or alternatively patchwork abominations, as you please. I avoided the existing $toy variable stuff because most of the variables apply to fauna that doesn't necessarily canonically exist.

I'd like to shore up some artwork options for the next thing I work on. At present there are the canvases and statuettes. I would like to add: gravestones, signs, flags, and figurines. If you've any ideas for new artwork items, feel free to throw them at me.

Here's how making artwork items works, for those that aren't experienced with it:

1) Artwork items are an item type. They're pretty much just like any other item and kind of do nothing at all EXCEPT...

2) When an artwork item is decorated, the short desc changes completely along with the decoration.

3) The new short description fits a precoded pattern that limits what can be done on my end.

For example. With statuettes, the original item is 'a lump of $ironalloy'. When the item is decorated, it will turn into 'a blankly-blanked statuette of blankity blanks'.

The pattern is fairly simple for the post-decoration desc. It goes 'a A-B C of D' where A is an adverb signifying Artistry skill, B represents the tools you use to decorate the item, C is the first keyword of the item, and D is input in decorate. C can only be a single word, and it cannot be hyphenated, which makes things rough. We also have no choice about the of.

This creates certain limitations, but that doesn't mean we can't work around them. I just want people to be aware of them, before I ask for any ideas.

For example, with artwork and decorate we could make:

'a beautifully-embroidered flag of a red fist on a black background'

But we couldn't make:

'a beautifully-etched chrion gravestone reading LESTER MORE - NO LES, NO MORE' (because of the 'of' and the 'chrion' parts).

I might look into some progging, and I may eventually be able to work around some minor things like that, but for now, that's what I'm working with.

So.

Ideas?

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 pm      Reply with quote

Tapestries? I'm about to start work so I'm not going to write up a whole thing this moment, but these could be nifty. Uses part of a bolt of cloth for the background and then lots and lots of thread from a kit. Maybe even the 'small spools of thread' item that I've seen but can't figure out the use for.

I still really like the idea for preserved flowers being usable in crafts like flower garlands, too. Or attached to headbands, that kind of thing.

People would probably want earrings and studs than can go other places besides your ears, which is more of an addition of location flags than anything and probably outside the scope of this.

Maybe mosaics, too? Uses a part of either type of paintset and then all those moonrocks that never actually contain gemstones? (this might be difficult since the moonrocks have different names. You might have to make a 'create tiles' craft and then an 'assemble tiles' one?) Speaking of which, porous handsized moonrocks seem to be entirely useless, you can't even break them down to check for gems.

Also, not sure if you can fix it but the 'formulate paint-set' craft uses: Held or in Room (Consumed): a small metal box, or a small $metalcolor0
box. But the final product is in a polyprop case. Also, a paint set can't be dissasembled back into a case. Nor can any of the cleaning kits: weapons, armor, or firearms. These can't even be breathed, either. Same goes for canteens.

Page 25 of 27   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic