Home

Register a new account  
Random Suggestions
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Coil
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 am      Reply with quote

Throwing my two cents in. The mobs spawning on the main streets is bad for the game, in my opinion. Especially with the regularity they have. This is going to stop people from going to interact with others, or kill them for it. I know some days I can't actually do combat, because I log in from work or something, and if I can't go anywhere because of it, I will begin to just not RP with others because I can't go anywhere.

Coil
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:23 am      Reply with quote

Want to clarify, I'm not against the birds or spawns or anything. I love both of those as mechanics, I just believe that leaving the doorway of a Family base should not be something to be feared in an RPI.
I'm currently looking IG for feasible ways to prevent this, but nothing short of building tunnels seems like it'd work.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 am      Reply with quote

Second-hand information but : Bird spawns in Rust (I think at the cathedral) have been admin initiated due to the counter out there being to high.

Maybe lower the counter ticking rate?

Also: please make bullets show up in second-person diagnose. Not just examine which is something I don't do a lot to people Sad

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 am      Reply with quote

The frequency of the bird spawns has mostly been related to the lack of people hitting the Cathedrals which is probably a drawback of only one of the clanleads actually leading people out to do things.

No, they weren't solely admin initiated. Usually what would happen is, I'd see the spawn counter reach a certain point. I'd wait to see a fair number of people on. Then I'd load extra, alert people, and dock the spawn counter back to a median point after people have cleaned it up.

Regarding your sentiment, though, I actually kind of agree. I mean, I don't think it's completely terrible, and nobody's actually DIED to it. Which is probably because everything in the game is wearing kid's gloves and you all know it. But overall, the automatic spawns on family turf don't add much of significance to the game.

The counter ticking rate is actually about as low as it can possibly be right now.

Most of the problem is with people not doing things. There's also a problem with the Cathedral not having the progged up resource dumps like the Metro and the Labs. Then there's also the Cathedral being farther away. All of those seem to be a contributing factor to the New Guard being lazy and the birds eating their faces.

Coil
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:11 am      Reply with quote

The New Guard is the smallest of the families right now. At our best, we have four members online currently. This isn't a number I'd ever be comfortable going out to the cathedrals with, especially when they need to be wary of walking from the base to the market.

Plus, I happen to personally have bad timing for runs and such. Whenever I'm online, people are already out, or doing other things it seems. Any time I notify to get numbers, I get about maybe two responses at most.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:28 am      Reply with quote

Well.

That's the thing.

Four people is actually plenty safe for the cathedrals.

Four people killed two murders of crows. (Which is 20 crows, plus the murders themselves.) That's more birds than you'll see at the Cathedral. That's enough people to scare lagatoes away. Are shredders scary now or something?

I'm pretty sure there's nothing remotely inherently difficult about dealing with them.

While I understand the New Guard is the "smallest" of the families (the Niners are actually smaller/less active at the moment), they also haven't really DONE anything as a clan in longer than I can remember. But yeah.

The laziness thing was mostly teasing and non-serious. Around fifty percent of the problem is that the area hasn't been progged, and then a fair chunk of the remainder is just that the Cathedral's the most annoying of the three reworked areas to go to.

At the same time, I think people are... I don't know. Being too scared to TRY things? Which feels silly considering just how severely nerfed these mobs have been. I agree that one shouldn't feel like going outside is a serious risk. But IS IT A SERIOUS RISK to deal with one or two birds because Miranda hasn't had time to singlehandedly save the entirety of Rust from mobs? I don't know. But I don't think there's much value gained from a handful of birds either.

I'd also rather not have it feel like an endless grind, and had been putting some thought into improvements/cutbacks on the birds yesterday, so your post was actually pretty well-timed. Hopefully it'll be dealt with ICly.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:31 pm      Reply with quote

Maybe throw out some really rare gold ornaments at the Cathedral. Holy relics can now be turned into bullets for us heathens. Make it an ultra rare or whatever the highest thing is, and maybe try to figure a way to let us rescue people from birds. They're really annoying at the moment - if not particularly dangerous.

Coil
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:04 pm      Reply with quote

I might be receiving false secondhand information, but it seems like someone is constantly worried about the birds. And personally, I don't go out enough to know how big shredder/beetle mobs can be, I've actually never encountered one in a group of under six or seven. Perhaps the amount of people on each shredder skewed my view, but it always seemed like a -lot- of lizard

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:07 pm      Reply with quote

With armor, I've never seen a person take more than a minor injury from the base birds.

Most injuries, with armor, seem to be glancing/small/1 point of damage at best.

Shredders are slightly more dangerous probably, but they're still easy.

I would say a fair percentage of active combat characters could probably solo a shredder pack. At least the upper end can. Any 2-3 combatants should be able to weather a shredder pack on their own. I personally used to solo shredder/beetle/coyote packs, and on occasion lagatos, on an old PC.

The best person to ask regarding difficulty would probably be Pof Miranda. Personally, for obvious reasons, I haven't taken out runs since I started making changes, so I can't give you a solid safe-end number, but personally, I'd say five is probably enough, for factories and probably the cathedral. I've seen a handful of people solo the cathedral, as well as the labs. And even the Metro. Seriously, the kid gloves are on hard.

mag3man1
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 am      Reply with quote

I know that four reds went out recently and got jumped by a pack of shredders and beetles at the same time, along with some bullets being fired from elsewhere, and they were perfectly fine. And this was after going up against multiple lagato.

I don't imagine two or three people would have a problem with a pack of beetles, or a pack of shredders. Four or five? No problem whatsoever. Especially if the group has at least one or two semi-skilled fighters.

The kid gloves are there for a reason, guys. It's so we go out more and explore more and do -STUFF- more, instead of just sitting in our clan bases, sparring and cooking and gossiping. While all of this stuff has a time and a place, it isn't meant to be all the time.

Page 27 of 28   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic