Home

Register a new account  
Suggestion: PC Market guard
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 pm      Reply with quote

This idea has floated around Ig a bit. Im looking for feedback and suggestions, on the market guard itself and PCs.

People want to put the market guard back into the game to cut back at on the random shootings in the market. However I believe returning to the old law code market would be lame and defeat the entire purpose of opening up the market to new ideas.

Im suggesting that the staff find a way to open the market guard to PCs. Preferably Pcs with RPP since such a role would be quite the responsibility.

Each watchman would basically be a sheriff in a wild west town. They are the judge jury and executioner in the market. Not only that, the guardsmen are also a military power in Rust meaning they have to deal with the families in some situations.

For example. no longer can someone steal or murder on family turf and simply hide away in the market. The families could work with PC market watchmen to root out these criminals unlike before. On the other hand, deserters and PCs who simply made the families angry without breaking any clear laws like murder and theft. They could still be ensured protection by the market guard from the families.

So the bottom line of what Im suggesting is that, since the PCs ig are moving towards restoring the marketguard, the staff should open roles in chargen to join the market watch. Perhaps even give an IC avenue to join the watch as well.

I also think that the market watch should remain relatively leaderless. Each watchman is a sherif unless they are a fresh recruit. Each has full jurisdiction in the market, the market can police itself for corruption but no one will lead the market watch as a whole. Because of this the market watch should never be able to rally under one leader and cause to threaten the families.

Id like some thoughts and suggestions. Anyways.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 am      Reply with quote

Currently not enough players to make this viable.

What is there to stop all your sherriffs banding together in corruption and shooting up the market in the name of their own brand of justice?

Sorry this stinks to me of bandits running the market.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:07 am      Reply with quote

There is never going to be enough players if we dont give players the roles they want to play to return to the game. The entire reason that the market guard wont band together is the same reason that the families have never tried to kill each other. Players are too passive, if you offer them power to abuse they will never abuse it to its full extent. I promise you might have a market guard or too that feels a bit corrupt but thats a good thing, thats RP. I dont expect them to be symbols of justice.

Frankly, market guard is a fun role, once my current character is done, I have no possible role to return to the game that I find reasonably fun. However I would give market guard a shot. Its fresh, it adds another dynamic to the game other than families or plain indie.

Also what stops the guard from shooting up the market as some kinda bandit group is simple. The vnpc majority in the guard would stop it. Also the citizens hold the keys to the supplies the guard needs.

Niner
Registered

Anonymous Account

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm      Reply with quote

I will echo what sly said, giving players like you even more reasons to troubleshoot is just a bad idea period. When the Willmingtons took over the Nanong in Atonement Pks went in to overdrive.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:46 pm      Reply with quote

Flincher14 wrote:
There is never going to be enough players if we dont give players the roles they want to play to return to the game.

In the short term you'lll run into the problem of to many chiefs not enough indians. If players did come back just to app in as market guard you'll have half the playerbase that will be their own law unto themselves.
Flincher14 wrote:
The entire reason that the market guard wont band together is the same reason that the families have never tried to kill each other.

All it takes is for two/three OOC friends to all app in at once with the plan to shake things up to unbalance the game. Hell if three people all app'd into any group with the intent to take it down and warp it to their own whims right now they win by default because of the numbers game.

Flincher14 wrote:
Players are too passive, if you offer them power to abuse they will never abuse it to its full extent. I promise you might have a market guard or too that feels a bit corrupt but thats a good thing, thats RP. I dont expect them to be symbols of justice.

I agree up till I hit the comma. Yes, players are to passive. But power shouldn't be abused, it should be used to make things more engaging for other players. It's okay to play a dick that's generally seen in distaste to the PCs of the game, but when you are shitting all over everyone just because you can you're driving more people away from the game.

You won't expect them to be symbols of justice but they should be. Not shiny symbols of justice mind you, maybe slightly tarnished ones. The concept of a market guard is to, guard the market which requires some sort of application of laws and punishment for breaking them.

Flincher14 wrote:
Frankly, market guard is a fun role, once my current character is done, I have no possible role to return to the game that I find reasonably fun. However I would give market guard a shot. Its fresh, it adds another dynamic to the game other than families or plain indie.

True, I do find walking around the market over and over quite enjoyable.

Flincher14 wrote:
Also what stops the guard from shooting up the market as some kinda bandit group is simple. The vnpc majority in the guard would stop it. Also the citizens hold the keys to the supplies the guard needs.

The problem with vNPC anything are that they are vNPCs. They don't exsist unless you choose them to. Take the not-so-recent shooting incidences in the market, there are supposedly the odd Red/Newguard volunteers roaming the markets as a slapped-together peace keeping force. Both shooters ignored them and started shooting willy-nilly.

--------
Now -if- market guard was to be implemented I would suggest a few things :
1) Let it be one of the things that occur IG. That means no apping in. Read this as a IG personality screening of potential guardsmen. Cause if your PC is the type who wants to sit and watch the world burn he would priobably been red-flagged and denied entrance unless he's talked his way into it... which would make for awesome intriguing RP that would be better played out then written as a sentence in a background.

2) Limited numbers. Rehashing what I said in the first paragraph about to many chiefs and not enough indians, right now we don't have the playerbase to support/warrant a huge influx of market guards. Maybe just one, or two to begin with and expand if the playerbase gets bigger.

------------------------------
I'm going to use the Beatrix incident for an example: She tried to kill someone in the market and the market folk rose up and took her down.

What's wrong with this communal policing that is already in place? I much prefer this organic neighbourhood watch style 'enforcement' noone is a cheif or a indian but if you fucking mess with them and theirs you will know about it.

That's all I have. I prefer neighbourhood watch over market guard. I see market guard as unneded and to have a huge potential to unbalance the game. I also see that the implementation of a market guard is more of a issueing of licences to beat/kill/do whatever you want card to players.

The end, by Slyviolin

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 am      Reply with quote

Sly fairly eloquently summarized a lot of the most severe concerns.

Here's the thing.

If you want to have PCs that guard the market YOU CAN ALREADY. In fact, to a minor extent, you already kind of do. And nobody's followed up on it.

I have neither access nor capability of making Market Guard an app-in role; but most of all, I have NO INTENTION OF DOING THAT, for VERY GOOD REASONS:

1) It's completely unnecessary. You don't need a coded role to tell you how to play your character. You don't need a coded role to do things. The only thing that having a coded role does is SUPPOSEDLY have some presumable impact on that character's COMPLETELY ABSTRACT AND USELESS clout with the vNPC community. Guess what? I'm pretty sure swinging supposed magical vNPC clout around is and has always been a stifling element of the game, and the fact that it's tied into things like roles and clan ranks makes life miserable for a large number of players.

2) All it does is open the existing possibility of playing a PC that gets appointed, designated, or voluntold to work as a sort of Market Sheriff to ABUSE CASES. By allowing it on-application, you remove the COMPLETELY NECESSARY roleplay requirement. This is a roleplay intensive MUD. If you want to roleplay something, roleplay it, work towards it. Don't just be like: LOL I R TEH MARKETMAN. Talk to clan leads. Talk to market people. GET A JOB.

So help me, if poor Holmes has to log in to people that don't even play trying to verbally bash each others' brains in on the forums again, I will be very, very upset.

We've been struggling with players. That's frustrating. But half of the reason we're hemorrhaging players is because people are too focused on using RP as a means rather than an end, first of all, and are being exceedingly nasty to each other, second of all.

in nine cases out of ten, there's nothing keeping people from doing what they want to do. But nobody wants to focus on doing what they CAN do. Don't over reach, don't get too caught up in trying to force things to 'create RP'. If you do it well, you'll probably wind up stressing yourself out and losing the fun. If you do it poorly, people will start to get headaches.

Make a character. Give that character a backstory. Goals. Dreams. A consistent personality. Let that character evolve as they experience things. Don't get too caught up in cheap thrills, always prioritize telling a consistent story with your character. Maybe you don't know the ending, but your character should have goals. Achievable ones.

JUST PLAY.

Azmodan
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 am      Reply with quote

I was under the (false?) impression that what was going to happen with the market guard was all being decided ICly. If that's the case, seems that there's the chance for people in influence the direction of things, assuming their character has enough charisma to convince others of their way of thinking.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 am      Reply with quote

You all have good arguements (except roadhawk).

I totally agree that we "could" have market guard pcs from in game developments.

I only suggested staff help because honestly, players just fucking suck at doing anything proactive. We had that lovely meeting that was suppose to determine some things for the market.

All we accomplished was firing off an email to the staff to put coded law enforcement back into the market, the exact same place we were a few weeks ago before Bjork died.

Things were not any better back then, all we did was return to the status quo. From here, we wont go anywhere. From here we didnt create any new rp opprotunities, we didnt create any plots, we didnt do anything significant, all we did was reverse crayons original idea to leave the market to the players.

Im getting fed up with the state of the game. Its not going to recover at this rate. I cant fix it, Im not suppose to fix it, other players cant fix it either. Staff CAN fix it but have struggled to make headway at a reasonable pace.

Soi is going to open in about a month. If this game hasnt bounced back before then, it will be too late.

Edit: I lied, other players can fix it We have a few players like Hyrania and Grandpa, plus every clan lead who has the inflence and power to do things. They can make drastic changes, freshen the game for everyone. When the game was put into the players hands, it was THESE specific players that were intended to mold what the game became. However these leaders are a bi-product of a malfunctioning game to begin with and none of them have the desire or interest in making sweeping changes.

So thats what I mean when its up to the staff to do everything. Staff would have to facilitate a PC market guard, staff have to make plots, staff have to destroy families or create new areas. Its all on the fucking staff. Hows that feel?

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:40 am      Reply with quote

Roleplay and plot on a roleplay intensive MUD has and always will be a two-way street between staff and players.

I can't (/won't) help people that don't help themselves.

Sorry, but I'm strongly of the opinion that spoonfeeding/forcefeeding things on the playerbase (with little to no substantial roleplay reciprocated back) is worse for a game than leaving people to their own devices in the vast majority of cases. There's a thin line between spoonfeeding and railroading, and I prefer to stay around a rock's throw away from it.

The end goal should always be about ENABLING PLAYERS to create stories and interact in them, rather than on DOING IT FOR YOU.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic