Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am      Reply with quote

Nice.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 am      Reply with quote

As an update, we're talking heavily about craft sets and systems to be implemented. As a feature preview, we are completely revamping the Scavenging system. If you were tired of 20-man scavenging hunts where you go to the same place over and over again, spamming forage, you can rejoice.

Instead, the scavenge skill will be scrapped. There will be resources nodes randomly scattered all over the wilderness that you need to find. The locations are dynamic, and they change as you use up a node. Crafters will be needed to extract valuable resources from these nodes, depending on what kind of node it is. eg. plant node, metal node, etc. The farther out you go, the higher the chance of getting higher-yielding nodes. Anybody can also gather from these clusters for smaller crap, but if you want nodes to be worth your time, it's a good idea to bring crafters along on your scavenge party. I've also been toying with the idea of making super high-yield nodes that automatically spawn a monster nest around it too every so often.

We felt like these changes shore up most of the weaknesses of the original ARPI scavenging system, and make scavenging a bit more fun and dynamic. We wanted to address a few things with scavenging:

1) Realistically representing resource starvation - nodes get used up after awhile.
2) Preventing scavenging spam that leads to excessive hoarding.
3) Crafters to feel more useful in the process of gathering for materials, and to make them more important to the economy.
4) Enriching the scavenging experience to feel more like you're on a treasure hunt, instead of a mindless trudge towards the same old locations.

Also, less excitingly (for players), I also developed a prog command that can generate virtual rooms much like the beloved apartment system. What does this mean for players? It means that admins can now easily implement buildings automatically, and even other applications like vehicles. You no longer need to wait around for an admin to initialize your room after you're doing building your shop, house, or etc. Very Happy

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 am      Reply with quote

Will the nodes be comepletely random across the entire wilderness? It'd be odd to find a resource in a place where it shouldn't be; unless the wilderness is all one type of area like a jungle and other biomes like caves don't count as wilderness.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:22 pm      Reply with quote

It'll make sense, trust me.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 pm      Reply with quote

Will you be taking suggestions for ideas/concepts in the game still?

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 pm      Reply with quote

Of course we will. However, keep in mind that we cannot implement all the concepts suggested, even if we really like them. We have a lot on our plate to release this game, and not every concept is necessary for release. If your concept is possible, and we think it'd be a great fit, we'll implement it as best as we can, when we can.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 pm      Reply with quote

Welp! I understand that it's an alpha -> beta "two weeks" situation, but!

If there's anything we can do to help as players, let us all know .I just found out today that it's (maybe) coming back, and I'm excited as hell over it. I'm willing to put in as much manpower as I can to get it running!

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:27 am      Reply with quote

From what I understood, we were close to being ready.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:24 pm      Reply with quote

Tepes wrote:
From what I understood, we were close to being ready.

But nobody can be sure about that...

Two weeks!

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:16 pm      Reply with quote

Two weeks...

...is approximately the amount of time since I last heard from anybody else on the development team.

I'm sorry, guys. A few people came back to try and make something of Parallel, but it seems their enthusiasm was short-lived. If they want to suddenly return and correct me, by all means -- but I have no idea where they went, and the last time anybody besides me posted on the staff forums was like May 2nd or something. I've asked where they went but nobody is answering.

We don't hear from Viking at all anymore. She hasn't even visited the forum since sometime in April, and the server will be gone if at any point she decides to stop paying for it. Others voiced concerns over the lack of qualified people to staff the game if we were to finish it, and others yet did the old song and dance of volunteering to help and then never logging in again. We don't even have the ability to give people builder accounts without Viking, and while Tiamat knows some stuff about the database and server structure, her access privileges were limited as well.

So, don't hold your breath. Everybody stopped working on it and so have I. I was there to write documentation and help a little with building and crafts, but there's nobody around to do any of the other stuff. There'd be nobody to admin the game if it was finished. There's nobody with full access to the server stuff and I don't even know if it'll keep getting paid for.

It was always a pretty unimpressive effort this last time around, only three of us ever even did anything at all and I don't think there's any point sugarcoating it: they left without a word and that seems to be the end.

I thought you lot deserved to know.

Peace.

Page 6 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic