Home

Register a new account  
For the Future
Forum Index   Θ   Announcements   Θ   Outdated Announcements

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:00 pm      Reply with quote

Really makes me wonder why did Jaunt decide to end the game in the first place. What's that obsession with having a story to tell and it has to be over. MUDs are not movies, they're persistent worlds. If he was bored or tired, he should just have handed the reins to someone else.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 pm      Reply with quote

While I'm sad that it ended, I understand why someone would do that. More times than naught, drawing out anything makes it lose its luster and makes it boring; not only to the creator. Also, the best part of a story is the end. You wouldn't believe how many characters of mine that I planned their deaths. Frequently petitioned during major and minor events that I don't care if my current guy dies suddenly if it'll help make the situation seem more life-threatening.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:16 pm      Reply with quote

malfunction wrote:
Really makes me wonder why did Jaunt decide to end the game in the first place. What's that obsession with having a story to tell and it has to be over. MUDs are not movies, they're persistent worlds. If he was bored or tired, he should just have handed the reins to someone else.

bump

and lol two weeks?

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm      Reply with quote

malfunction wrote:

What sucked is that from a lot of peoples' perspective the same group of players that dictated the majority of the game got to once again got to make the final decision to end it. Granted it was already on the horizon, but not so suddenly. The majority of us plebs had little choice but to accept it. Without so much as a why, how or when.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 pm      Reply with quote

Son of a bitch. Proof would be good, though. I've seen a few things pop up on my sidebar that only admins should see, and it proved reversed.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 pm      Reply with quote

Roadhawk wrote:
malfunction wrote:

What sucked is that from a lot of peoples' perspective the same group of players that dictated the majority of the game got to once again got to make the final decision to end it. Granted it was already on the horizon, but not so suddenly. The majority of us plebs had little choice but to accept it. Without so much as a why, how or when.

What are you talking about? No players made any decision to end the game. Jaunt made the decision to end the game and put into play a plotline that regardless of player choices would result in the game closing.

Nothing players could have done would have changed this. No matter what choices players made on Mars, the game was ending. The only thing anyone got to decide (and even then, barely, and with a lot of coercion/admin intervention) was exactly how it ended.

As for proof, I don't know what you want proof of?

I can definitively say that no work has been done on the Builder Port since the 4th.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 am      Reply with quote

Tepes wrote:
Son of a bitch. Proof would be good, though. I've seen a few things pop up on my sidebar that only admins should see, and it proved reversed.

Proof of what? I was basically leading the development since nobody else was, I'm not making this shit up. Nobody has been on the staff forum for like two weeks except for me, and then Matt who was never even able to get a builder account because we need Viking for that. It was alive for a little while because Krelm and Tiamat showed an interest in getting it done, but Tiamat doesn't want to put work into a game that probably won't have anyone to staff it, and Krelm was always erratic at best and now hasn't posted since the start of the month. We had a plan and a todo-list, but like last time around, the staff roster emptied as soon as people discovered that it was real work that would take time and effort.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that no new RPI will get made, at least not until the guys at FutureMUD release something. Don't wait up for Parallel (or SOI), there isn't anyone around to create it. There's not enough desire to get it done among the people who are able to get it done. Cheering from the sidelines unfortunately won't cause a game to materialize, and the people who knew how to make an RPI have lost the will to try after seeing Atonement snuffed out with little warning and for no real reason. Their months of work went down the drain and it killed the collective drive to do it again.

If there's a last chance at all, it will be in the form of simply rerunning Grungetown. I'll let Holmes comment on that since he has the working copy.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:40 am      Reply with quote

Rebuilding GT would make me the most happy of all the possible outcomes, I dont know why it wasnt left open as an option after the endgame to begin with.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:17 pm      Reply with quote

I keep forgetting Throttle is staff here. A Mungetown setting wouldn't be the end of the world, and I could also get behind that. CAW CAW... TOOKI TOOKI!

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote

Mungemud.

Page 7 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic