Home

Register a new account  
Turfquests!
Forum Index   Θ   Announcements   Θ   Outdated Announcements

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:37 pm      Reply with quote

Those of you in families have likely noticed various poor Rust denizens scattered through the streets. These individuals can be extorted, helped, robbed, or put to work by members of the families- and in exchange, you'll get some cold, hard cash.

They appear at random times throughout the days, in rooms scattered across the slums, and represent the oppressed population of Rust that the families make much of their living off of.

Furthermore, each family turf has a special quest revolving around one of their key buildings, and while collecting money from these can take several moments for people of the wrong family, their reward is quite balanced to the time!

Keep in mind, however, that other families might not just sit idly by and watch you make a move on those directly under their protection.

Suggestions for more of these are always welcome, and can be either posted, or e-mailed to me, at holmes@parallelrpi.com

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

Does this include those random citizens on the streets as well getting mugged randomly]?

Sabrelon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:37 pm      Reply with quote

I love this so hard

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote

Starmonger wrote:
Does this include those random citizens on the streets as well getting mugged randomly]?

Gotta rob PCs to make the vNPC robberies more realistic.

Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:21 am      Reply with quote

There needs to be more. I've walked around all of the slums for a long time, and never saw a single one.

Onasaki
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:17 am      Reply with quote

I also wish there was more mobs.

Chrjo12
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:41 am      Reply with quote

I wish there was a way to get chips that didn't leave me feeling that I could get shot if the wrong person was watching. All the mobs in my faction's territory are always used it seems.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:42 am      Reply with quote

Rust is a dangerous place and I'm pretty sure Throttle set those mobs up pretty specifically to control the economy. If you're going into other peoples turfs to do the crafts getting shot is a risk you'll have to take. Indies aren't even allowed.

Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 pm      Reply with quote

The turfquest system isn't really meant to be a constant source of income for everybody in the game. Don't expect to treat it like a job and don't expect to get rich doing it. They spawn more or less like actual mobs would do and thus, much like squicks in the sewers, the effect is that there aren't very many during the busy hours. I think that's fine because that's when players will probably want to be out hunting or engaging in inter-clan roleplay instead. There might not be many turfquest objects up at peak time, but there'll almost always be some at any other time of day.

They present an alternative to idling in your clanhall when there's only three of you around. It's really more of a portrayal of Rust's culture as well as a slight bonus to clans and an incentive to not just sit in your HQ anytime there isn't actually a scav run. The system is meant to do four things:

1) Represent the advantage that the Families have over unaffiliated denizens, not just economically but also in terms of sheer power over the weaker residents.

2) Ensure that there's a tangible benefit to being in the major clans and an incentive to play in them. Atonement really lacked this after the first few months.

3) Leave visible representation of who is making a presence in the slums, without resorting to a Monopoly-like hardcoded system.

4) Ensure that supposed rival clans do actually roam the same non-lawful areas on occasion so the rivalry can become tangible and breed conflict.

Money is supposed to be scarce and the intention is for some people to never use much/any of it. Atonement's gameplay was absolutely dominated by cash despite what the documentation said, and not only was it a breach of the setting, it also cheapened gameplay and made people do stupid things in pursuit of wealth.

Rust is a place where people are poor, but clans need more repair kits, patterns, molds and other things like that. This is what the turfquests are for. If you find that there aren't any left when you go looking, it means they've served their purpose.

They're calibrated to funnel into the economy an amount of money that doesn't escalate too much. Don't think of them as a thing you must have constant access to whenever you want and something that's broken if you can't make the kind of money off of them that you could with bundles or arena-grinding in Grungetown.

Most people in Rust shouldn't care much about money at all, and the intention is for trading in commodities to be a viable alternative to the cash flow that plagued Grungetown due to the way individuals could earn hundreds of chips per week if they knew how, making it impossible to keep up and compete economically without doing the same questionable spiel.

Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:26 pm      Reply with quote

Is there any way at all for non-family members or people not of high enough family rank to acquire chips beyond getting them from the families?

Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic