Home

Register a new account  
Questions of Lore
Forum Index   Θ   Help Desk

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Onasaki
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 pm      Reply with quote

Bring back the Sun Worshippers! Die Flamme immer!

derrenp
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:36 pm      Reply with quote

Should there be like, bastardations of Earth languages? Curious.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:51 pm      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
Some cultural traditions might survive, but no one ought to be speaking Earth languages, and no one identifies themselves as any earth nationality.

What language should we consider ourselves to be speaking? I mean, I realize the answer may not be a real, extant language ("Polish."), but I guess I'd like to know more about it. I feel like since we know so little about what had gone on with Earth leading up to the prison break, it's pretty wide open. I could offer some ideas if none have yet been generated, but I'm equally happy to take whatever has already been decided. It would just help to know more.

Languages are another thing I miss very much from SOI, I felt like it really added flavor to the game, and gave people of a certain lineage something concrete to bind them together and apart from other people (and created the possibility of having "linguist" or "interpreter" as a PC concept). I realize lineage is not so much an issue in Rust, but language, as much or perhaps more than religion, is something that moves and changes (and crops up anew whenever it has a reason), and really represents/creates group identity. Since group identity is something that is really important in Rust, it seems like it would make a lot of sense for each Family, at least, to have its own dialect, if not its own completely separate language.

There are a lot of intricacies one could get into and explore, but it's not really necessary to do so unless that's desired, and it's hard to do anyway without knowing what the linguistic starting point would have been with the original prisoners. I'm all for the possibility of Family dialects, though, if the language code is/were adaptable to that. If not, it's all good, it's just a thought.

I would prefer not to.
Blue
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:17 pm      Reply with quote

Aiieee, so much reading. I tried to pore over all the posts so far, but it ultimately proved too taxing for my poor, feeble brain, so I'm just going to blurt a few things out:

1) On Families and Independents: (With apologies to Bartleby and Caellyndria, who both wrote long, thoughtful posts that I did not bother to read very carefully, so smack me down if this has been covered)

So far I've been pretty thrilled by the dynamic between the Families and Independents, truth be told. Although hostility and mistrust needs to be tempered with actually allowing players to interact with one another I find it immersive to watch the relationships and politicking unfold. It makes a lot of sense to me that even as the big players are at one another's throats the one thing that brings them together is lording it over the indies, and totally logical that the indies would chafe at that. I would love to see that developed, and I feel like that is going to depend a lot on the players of Independents. The idea that there is a distinction between the average slummer, who is loosely affiliated with whatever turf they happen to live on and the genuine Market Independent is something to reinforce and explore.

That said, re: politicking, Indie coalitions and the like; I see this as an issue of balance, and its a tricky one. In the fiction we're creating it seems totally believable to me that the Independents might be inclined to band together and stick up for themselves in times of inter-family hostilities, when they are too busy fighting one another to deal with ambitious upstarts in the Market, but that should the Families feel that their collective power structure is in jeopardy even a brief alliance can turn them into a pack of unstoppable bullies ready to lay on the smack down.

The caveat to this, of course, is that code-factors, player numbers, and other OOC elements need to be taken into consideration. Once we're all agreed on how it is 'supposed' to work, we need to be at least fairly willing to work with it. Which is not to say that there won't be individuals trying ICly to buck the system, just that we need to be patient with some of the weirdness that comes of trying to artificially sustain a culture dominated by vnpcs who seldom speak up for themselves.

2) Religion.

Interesting. Religion strikes me as a particularly tricky subject. The game is set only a few centuries into the future, and most contemporary religions have been around for literally thousands of years. Thus it seems unlikely that there wouldn't be any vestiges of major religions, and even more unlikely that there would be lots of fantasy religions without any historical basis whatsoever.

That said, I think it it totally believable that in some point in the genesis of the one-world-order Terran Federation religion was either outlawed, or a state religion concocted to try and further the general hegemony. What that would look like now I don't know, and is probably best left to someone who is really interested in the subject. That is to say, someone not me.

3) Language and Dialects

I just assumed we were all speaking Terran. It might be interesting if non-Terrans had non-Terran languages, but if it's a pain in the ass to code I think that the profound globalization aspect is an easy out. As to what Terran is linguistically related to? Beats the hell out of me. I'm guessing it's like Esperanto. Alternatively, one can take the Joss Whedon tack and assume that it's some kind of sino-english hybrid, simply from the sheer numbers of people currently speaking those languages in the modern world. An interesting thought though, particularly in light of the possibility of finding "ancient" documentation in a language few, if anyone, speaks.

-Dialects- though? YES PLEASE.

I cannot stress enough how much I long to see the PCs from different families expressing some kind of verbal distinction from one another. Yeah, yeah, grotty slums, we're all rough and tumble, but if -everyone- talks like a foul-mouthed punk where does that leave the Niners? It would go -so far- in reinforcing the idea of individual Family cultures if the PCs actually sounded different from one another. Clipped military jargon for the Reds, pretentious ghetto-bombast from the Guard. -Something.- I realize it's a little late for those already in game who have established their own way of speaking, but it's an element to consider from here out.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now. Fascinating thread though.

Onasaki
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm      Reply with quote

Dialects, while fun and awesome? Don't make IC sense. We're a penal colony, it's safe to say most of us spoke some kind of form of 'english' or whatever wide-spread language existed prior to Earth becoming uninhabitable.

Accents, yeah, that'd be neat if they were more wide-spread. Everyone talking in a gutter-trash accent does get pretty annoying. Newphies speaking with some kind of eloquence. Reds with the military jargon. Niners with the street-fresh ghetto trash accent.

If it that was more wide-spread it'd be neat, but it also keeps people from being creative with their accents. Though, alot of them do use a plethora of apostrophes.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 pm      Reply with quote

Unique dialects and accents don't make sense. Everyone's been living in Rust together for generations.

Poto
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:41 pm      Reply with quote

Who are the mask people?

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 am      Reply with quote

aliens..shh, don't tell anyone.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 am      Reply with quote

AFIAK You all speak Terran. What is "Terran?" Who knows. You speak it, everyone else speaks it, you aren't philosophers.

Religion: AFIAK there is still a giant chapel to the east of Rust. Unless that got taken out. But - there could certainly be vestiges of old religions and such. They probably did get outlawed by the Terran Govt, and hence are somewhat rare.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 am      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Unique dialects and accents don't make sense. Everyone's been living in Rust together for generations.

Go to NYC. Every borough has a different accent, and there are slang variations, and you're far less likely to get shot for walking into the wrong borough than you are for walking into another family's turf in Rust.

Page 5 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic