Register a new account  
IC Conflict and You
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bogre
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 pm      Reply with quote

Howdy guys.

First of all, I just want to applaud anyone who plays out conflict in game, from simple strife and arguments to PC death. The game is always more exciting when things are not just running status quo- and sometimes you might find you're playing the underdog.

I just don't want to see anyone get burnt out- either people who fight the law (or the man) and get shut down hard, nor the guys who feel like people are going crazy at any given time. So here's some helpful guidelines, since we're in a new incarnation.

1. Respect the other player. No matter what, there is someone who invested time and effort into their character on the other side. They made a character to share the world, for you to conflict with, and even if you're winning, remember that if you are such an ass that you drive them away from the game things are going to get boring fast. This is also a small community, so remember tempers can flash hot. Don't read too much into a player because his char might be a complete dick - this goes for victim and victor.

2. Use code as appropriate- don't jump to it. This is more a sensible thing. Especially when PVP is involved, people tend to frenetically jump to combat. This is the same concept as a staff-animated NPC showing up and everyone aggro attacks before anything takes place. By all means- use code as appropriate but give people time to make a scene worthwhile.

3. a. Don't make characters to grief people. Yes, you can buy a gun at chargen and probably waste someone with newbie skills. See 1: respect other people's players and efforts. If you are going to make a throwaway (or at least dead-end bandit type) try to involve the playerbase in ways other than instakilling whatever random newb or unprotected char you can find. And understand you'll likely die - have fun with it til then!
b. If you are playing an established character or leader, be wary about how you antagonize/attack newer characters. You have a responsibility to make the game fun for everyone, not just you and your IG friends. Don't be an ass just because you can push around newbies with your skills and mad gear.

4. If you die- evaluate why- and be calm. If you die- realize what went wrong or what events led up to it. What actions of you/others led you down that path? What RP choices could have changed the outcome? Where we stand now- Rust is harsh. People die, and get put down, a lot. Why did you buy the farm?

The end caveat to this is that everyone is playing characters- play true to yours, but keep in mind we're all here to play Parallel and have fun. Some will be bastards and want to kill others, some might encroach upon the lovely idea you have for what the city/clan/scene should be like.

#thisisthedarkesttimeline

Sabrelon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 pm      Reply with quote

What Bogre said, exactly. Take the conflict and play through it, but don't let it effect you. Even dying can be fun if you play accordingly.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am      Reply with quote

I support Bogre entirely in his message to all of us. Death is a big part of this game, can be fun, and brutal, and although being upset about your PCs demise is perfectly natural, it also may have been called for..or heck, maybe not, depends on the situation, but just roll with it and move on, and learn if there are things to learn.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 am      Reply with quote

+1 to all of these.

Responding well to a poor situation is a big way we award RPP. At least I do.

A player who doesn't throw a temper tantrum when they get screwed is someone I trust a bit more than someone who throws a fit and ragemails everyone in the game when they perceive they were twinked. They tend to be more level headed.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 am      Reply with quote

Stickied and endorsed.

Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:35 am      Reply with quote

I am actually here because of the IC conflict in the game. It's built in. 3 rival gang families each vying for control. I was happy to hear about conflict popping off in game, and I hope to see more, as appropriate for whatever situation.

That being said, I was PKed recently. And the scene did not leave me wanting. It was fairly well rped, and I wasn't just wasted without a word. i had probably an hour of good rp before being shot.

So kudos

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 am      Reply with quote

This should be a required read for all new players.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:30 pm      Reply with quote

More so for the veteran ones.

Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 am      Reply with quote

I just want to throw it out there, but...

Somewhere in this post I'd really like it if it were mentioned that there actually are always solutions to problems that don't involve jumping straight to killing everybody's characters.

Death will happen, yes, I get it, it's unavoidable sometimes. But other times, it's really really avoidable and more fun. Consider it.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 am      Reply with quote

After consideration I've come to the conclusion that if I don't waste this punk right now he'll just come back later with friends and shoot me when my back is turned and now I'm the one out of a character. A very practical fear right? If someone has your character by the balls and they spare you. Are you going to thank them and run off lesson learned or are you going to plot intricate assassination strategies to kill the offending character? It drags the roleplay out a bit longer sure. But someone's definitely going to bite the bullet.

When it comes down to you or me scenario everyone always chooses me.

Page 1 of 6   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic