Home

Register a new account  
Crippling (Code Suggestion)
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:18 pm      Reply with quote

Hey, I know you can choose a pegged leg at creation. And it don't effect you, except that you know. you have a pegged leg.

Anyways. I dig the purposefully breaking someones bones idea. Not crippling for the life of the pc but make them feel the pain for a while. And I think that is a viable option.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm      Reply with quote

There's really no reason this has to be coded, and tons of reasons why it shouldn't be, most of which were given very eloquently by Throttle.

If you want to cripple someone's PC, subdue them through RP or code and then RP doing it, and send the logs to the staff. If you actually RP it out believably and aren't doing it every day, the staff can decide if it's fair/reasonable to impose the results on the PC in question. And if you're worried they will decide it's not, that's all the more reason you shouldn't have the codewise option to bypass their judgment, imo.

That's really all the code would be -- a way of bypassing admin discretion because you suspect the admins would side with the crippled PC's player in an effort to keep that player happy. Which is totally their prerogative, and one of the many functions of an admin, and something that should stand, imo.

I would prefer not to.
Cormac
Administrator

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:23 am      Reply with quote

Cripple is perhaps a bad term for what I was suggesting. Cripple suggests permanent and playability hampering, rather than the setback I had in mind.

My thought is a little more straightforward and simple than that - to reduce a characters skill level by ten or twenty points. Although I reckon that has the same risk as stripping their gear. It's something that's recoverable, but it's going to take a month or more, and in the meanwhile they're not their normal powerhouse self.

While it doesn't prevent them from carrying on, it does set them back at square one for abit.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 pm      Reply with quote

Fractures and broken bones happen through the code and take forever to heal.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 pm      Reply with quote

Cormac wrote:
Cripple is perhaps a bad term for what I was suggesting. Cripple suggests permanent and playability hampering, rather than the setback I had in mind.

My thought is a little more straightforward and simple than that - to reduce a characters skill level by ten or twenty points. Although I reckon that has the same risk as stripping their gear. It's something that's recoverable, but it's going to take a month or more, and in the meanwhile they're not their normal powerhouse self.

While it doesn't prevent them from carrying on, it does set them back at square one for abit.

Do you have any idea how massive 10-20 points is? If I'm a master at a combat skill and you knock me back to talented you better believe I'm going to PK the ever living shit out of you first chance I get. Then we're back to square one of just PK your enemies first chance you get.

Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:00 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Fractures and broken bones happen through the code and take forever to heal.

On second thought. perhapse just petitioning up would be the best route, to make sure it's not abused.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 pm      Reply with quote

In Atonement, one of my characters got a fracture in his skull and it is the worse kind of crippling you culd get. Codewise, I couldn't walk a room without falling over 5 times. It took me 2 afternoons of my playtime just to get from the bunks to a radio to call for help. And another three nights until there was someone who had first aid to come help (and then frustratingly enough yelled at my character for being injured sparring when they should have been on the scav earlier today. Even though I tried to ICly explain the injuries hapen a week ago.)

It's a bit of an extreme example but I can say that being crippled suck as you're just trying to get help codewise. For some people crafting is just what they like to do in the game and to take that away is taking away why they come here.

If you truly want to deliver a non-lethal warning, however, can't beat breaking a bone.

Page 2 of 2   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic