Register a new account  
Clarifications, RE: Families
Forum Index   Θ   Announcements   Θ   Outdated Announcements

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Blue
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:45 pm      Reply with quote

Woah there cowboys.

I'm not sure that this is being bumped in reference to the fairly public IG events being referenced, and I rather doubt that it was intended as a criticism of the way things were handled, particularly given that they seem to have been in keeping with the posted options for "the way things work."

As far as I can tell, nobody is saying that things were handled wrong.

My guess is that the bump was issued as a courtesy to players who may have missed the previous discussion, either as a result of communication with the staff, or observation of events or discussions ingame.

Given that there was just a very public shuffling, I feel it is worth noting that such events are not the norm, and can understand why it might be confusing to players who either did not read this, or have encountered other characters with a background of "former X"

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:51 pm      Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
I'm not sure that this is being bumped in reference to the fairly public IG events being referenced, and I rather doubt that it was intended as a criticism of the way things were handled, particularly given that they seem to have been in keeping with the posted options for "the way things work."

As far as I can tell, nobody is saying that things were handled wrong.

Not saying it is close enough to saying it, given the nature of the thread/a single-world bump.

thorongil wrote:
"Other gangs" is not necessarily equal to "Other Families." There's a pretty big difference, there. There are surely a -bunch- of gangs in Rust.

"The other gangs" and "the other factions," meaning that the Reds are included in both those definitions.

If it's not recruiting from the Families, it's not -notable- because joining a Family is the -ideal- for any Ruster. It is the best life you can achieve, and there's no reason not to: why is the idealism and leaving the other gangs relevant or even mentioned, when almost -anyone- would leave a shitgang/shitfaction in a heartbeat to join a FAMILY?

Accepting these backgrounds--multiple PCs from Day One--and then coming down hard on what was the first well-roleplayed, IG-incident like this is basically saying "You might as well not even attempt this IG, because you can't roleplay it well enough.
ETA:
I don't mind a bump of this, so people know it shouldn't be uncommon--I do mind a bump without a single sentence added on, given the tone/nature of the thread as a whole.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 pm      Reply with quote

Coming down hard? By bumping a thread and not directing anything at anyone personally?

thorongil
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:18 pm      Reply with quote

Again, IMO, recent events were more an issue of the status of the people that were transferred IG. They weren't just the dregs of the Family who watch a street corner with their rusty shank. These were relatively prominent members of a Family that got to where they were by -being- in that Family, then trying to leave for greener pastures. I mean, it goes however it goes IG, but it's still incredibly abnormal.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:19 pm      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
Coming down hard? By bumping a thread and not directing anything at anyone personally?

We'll just share different interpretations of it, if you haven't come to see how it looks bad after 3-4 posts. But in short, entirely unsarcastically and earnestly: yes, exactly.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:53 pm      Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned personally, things will shift and evolve IG. We intended that to happen. Switching families is a huge deal, and an incredibly stressful thing for either organization. It can lead to wars, to deaths, and other such fun.

At its core, it should never, ever be done lightly. For SOI players, I would equate it to bringing a Heradrim into the Battalions. Most of the time, it doesn't make sense.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 pm      Reply with quote

Yea you really gotta like that person to risk the rest of your 'families' lives. Its like do you take in one person that was disloyal to their family into yours all while risking all your own people. It'd be a big gamble for little reward from an IC view point.

Page 5 of 5   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic