Register a new account  
Races
Forum Index   Θ   Help Desk

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:25 pm      Reply with quote

Bartleby wrote:
My point wasn't that some people might like to play that unusual "hulking (for a calistan) squint-eyed (for a calistan) calistan fellow."

Erm? I wasn't suggesting that people do that.

Mostly because I agree with you, sort of. It opens the door for a lot of confusion. I would question whether they meant in relation to other calistans or in relation to terrans, myself, but that wouldn't clear it up, because even if I know what I would have meant, that doesn't mean I know what that player meant.

Although knowing that there's a possibility for confusion might give one the chance to try and head it off at the pass, scaling "hulking" back to "stocky", say, or by describing features that are less to the point of the racial difference, such as shapes or colors or posture or something. If I saw "a rugged, slant-eyed titan young man" I would assume he was short, brawny, and had reddish skin and black eyes. It's not necessary to tell me that. And I can immediately see how he's different from "a spiky-haired, one-eyed titan lass."

I would prefer not to.
Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:27 pm      Reply with quote

Bartleby wrote:
Bartleby wrote:
My point wasn't that some people might like to play that unusual "hulking (for a calistan) squint-eyed (for a calistan) calistan fellow."

Erm? I wasn't suggesting that people do that.

Mostly because I agree with you, sort of. It opens the door for a lot of confusion. I would question whether they meant in relation to other calistans or in relation to terrans, myself, but that wouldn't clear it up, because even if I know what I would have meant, that doesn't mean I know what that player meant.

Although knowing that there's a possibility for confusion might give one the chance to try and head it off at the pass, scaling "hulking" back to "stocky", say, or by describing features that are less to the point of the racial difference, such as shapes or colors or posture or something. If I saw "a rugged, slant-eyed titan young man" I would assume he was short, brawny, and had reddish skin and black eyes. It's not necessary to tell me that. And I can immediately see how he's different from "a spiky-haired, one-eyed titan lass."

Oh, yes. That makes sense.

imany
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:29 pm      Reply with quote

How about a set race option?

set race turns it on/off. It doesn't screw with sdescs.

look:
A totally awesome dude is hanging out here. (Terran).

Page 3 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic