Register a new account  
The Cultures of Rust
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:23 am      Reply with quote

It was recently brought up in the chat that Rust doesn't really feel like it has a wide variety of cultures, and the topic swung around to how that might be changed, organically, through play. I thought it might be prudent to bring that discussion here where we can all chip in on it, but I just want to make this clear from the get-go:
This is not the place to discuss the cultures of Families, but instead the cultures of the independents. The families have a forum for that, leave it out of here. This is also not an "RP police" thread. It's just a discussion, maybe with some suggestions and ideas.

Anyways.

At the time of writing this, Rust is fairly homogeneous from a cultural standpoint. The simple fact of the matter is that, unless the member of a family (and to an extent even then), you are simply "a Ruster." In universe, while the population of Rust has been stated to be fairly slim, the city is split into several sections, each of which might have its own distinct flavor from which players might draw inspiration. In reality, as has been stated, there isn't much to go off of yet.

The proposal brought up regarding this was that we might correct the issue through improvisation. An example was given along the lines of stating "Oh, that's just a Southside thing," in regards to a character who likes to talk about drinking a lot- The clear implication being that the people of Southside might have a tendency towards drinking a lot.

Granted, such improvisation can be rather difficult when it isn't clear who grew up where. To that end, it might be prudent to utilize something along the lines of "Westside accent" in place of "slummer accent" or "Rust accent" in voice strings. In this way, those interested in doing so might be able to draw small lines in the sand, using other characters as springboards.

There are, also, of course, certain areas of Rust in which a defining culture might be more clear. These would be the turfs of the three families and the market. Here, one might draw on the public lore of the families and the relative safety and neutrality of the market in order to create a sense of independent culture.

Finally, I might add that I (and I don't think anyone discussing it) am not of the belief that this culture should be the be-all end-all of a character. It might add a bit more life and flavor to the game, though, and given that we've so many places to be from (and odd ducks are certainly not uncommon anyways) nobody should ever feel pigeonholed.
For reference, we have the following sections to play with (with certain potential "subsections" in brackets):
    -Northeast Side (The Encampment)
    -New Guard Turf
    -South Side (South East, Neutral Grounds, and South West)
    -The Market
    -Block Nine Turf
    -West Side
    -Red Company Turf

Anyways, interested in hearing what other people have to say about this sort of thing. Maybe it would be better to create actual documentation with staff approval? Who knows. I, myself, am partial to the organic improv suggestion.
Also, dat bones tho

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 am      Reply with quote

I can kinda see what you're getting at. My two cents is that the various "districts" of the town would probably have wildly different cultures from one another. Its human nature to band together and stick with like-minded individuals. As well as xenophobicly keep out anyone "different" even more so for a town like rust where sticking together=survival. For areas in proximity to a major family I'm sure the area will have a similar culture to their ruling body. For others I would love to see some variety. Those damn southern gangsters and their crazy voodoo bullshit. I don't trust those guys up in the encampment. Ain't normal for them to live all spartan(not that we know what a spartan is) and shit. Don't even touch drugs or whores!

Like you said, I'm for the idea that we should make a sort of "this is the general idea and dominant way of thinking in this area but by no means the only dog in the kennel."

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 am      Reply with quote

^ hey, spartans were thousands of years ago and we still know what they are, I would totally use that word in Rust...but yeah no, I like what you are thinking, and actually plan on my next PC being a touch xenophobic from living purely with a certain group of people and not really interacting a lot with the culture of others.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 am      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
^ hey, spartans were thousands of years ago and we still know what they are, I would totally use that word in Rust...but yeah no, I like what you are thinking, and actually plan on my next PC being a touch xenophobic from living purely with a certain group of people and not really interacting a lot with the culture of others.

Remember that unlike your characters, we have almost universally 12 years, minimum, of a liberal education.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 am      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
padweld999 wrote:

Remember that unlike your characters, we have almost universally 12 years, minimum, of a liberal education.

In Atonement, I used a basis of knowledge to describe how much my char knew. But then I started a datapad journal for teaching people education and taught them to read along with the basics I pulled from holodiscs. One was old warfare, another with literary English, another was animals from Africa. I had several others but a bug creped up and ate the notes within the data pad so I lost them. Needless to say, education can be in wide varying degrees according to what your char was taught. Like old world Africa and their crazy elephants! Unheard of on the moon, but still my char taught what they were and little interesting facts like the giraffe and Rhinoceros. So that being said..... it all depends on how someone learns. That is my opinion anyways!

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:27 am      Reply with quote

Holmes got it. We are an awesome golden age of technology society. Not a grimdark post apocalyptic moonscape. Its this environment that makes me think xenophobia would be pretty rampant among the various gangs and families. Us vs. Them in the fight for survival. Regression of so-called cultured ideas like selflessness and trust. You don't know if the man from the next dung village over coming to you is a trader or the advanced scout for a war party. Better not take any chances right? No different from the Joe ruster from north side sneaking his way down your particular alley.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic