The Graveyard
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:44 pm      Reply with quote

^
If anything, they can make things frustrating for people who -aren't- in favor of having to worry about being shot up randomly. This game was advertised as a sandbox more than anything.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:58 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Bandits don't promote PvP, they actively discourage it.

Yeah, because no one PKed in Atonement where there were bandits and no one PKs in Armageddon with all the desert elves and majority of characters centered around combat (with a playerbase that boasts easily 60-90 peak)...? Terminobber, who said sandboxes excluded bandits or player conflict? That and PvE is really the basis of the game, with limited staff plots throughout. Though I encourage turf wars and family conflict more than anything; there was only one turf war so far in the game's history and it was a joke.

topmudsites entry wrote:
The political climate of Rust is one of constant quarrel and competition. There are three major factions at play: the New Guard, Block Nine, and the Red Company. Each has its agenda and its patch of turf carved out of the town's geography, and the only neutral ground of the settlement is its market. Countless turf wars, rivalries, claims and disputes have taken place, and the rise and fall of leaders has been a constant feature of Rust's sordid society for generations. There is never a true winner, but always plenty of losers.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:08 pm      Reply with quote

<redacted>

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 pm      Reply with quote

Difference is, Atonement and Arm both have populations to support PvP alongside PvE. Here with limited interactable people it's harder to split focus.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:20 pm      Reply with quote

Hyriana wrote:
PK is fine when there's a real reason for it. Pointless PK where you just randomly get gunned down 'fer yer lootz' is moronic. It doesn't create RP. It creates a lynch squad.

In a game like this with no NPC response outside of the Market it makes people huddle in their little boxes and not interact. Nothing prevents it from happening in Family turf, where ostensibly there are tons of people. Or even in slums where someone is likely to notice that guy sitting around in the shadows, or tailing someone. Oh right, there's literally no way to know if someone is tailing you if they do it right. The system just doesn't support it. Or this size of a playerbase.

If that's the kind of thing you want, I suggest you go play one of those other games you mentioned and stop trolling these forums.

I'm offended that you claim I'm 'trolling'. Quote one post of mine in this thread that doesn't make a point. First off, wow... you can't notice someone who's hidden and sneaking? This game must be broken, you can't see hidden people! The search command is extremely useful and is spammed by most players. Also, if you're in the same room, unless the character has pretty great sneak there's a damn high chance that they'll be revealed. Hide/sneak is useful is you're smart and that's realistic. Second, the lack of NPCs in the slums is to prevent grinding skills. I mean, the area outside the market is the only area that you can fight in realistically. Outside the gates, in the wilderness, you'd just get swamped by mobs (gatos, etc).

Third, 'pointless' PK is based on perspective and really comes down to the staff's view. People are poor, people need money. I don't see anything wrong with a fully-loaded, weak fme/crafter family member getting jumped and robbed or possibly killed. People get in fights over matters of respect and getting in each other's faces, which is really petty if you place it beside a scenario where a slummer is getting some really nice clothing and a hundred chips or so. Your average NPC would be set for a long time on that!

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:43 pm      Reply with quote

<redacted>

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:13 pm      Reply with quote

Hyriana wrote:
Just about every post you make is passive-aggressive and hostile to someone. You can be a jerk and make a point. That doesn't excuse being a jerk.

1) No one spams search. I've been yelled at /in game/ for daring to do a search without emoting it every single time. That just doesn't happen.

2) I didn't mean killable NPCs in the slums. I meant any kind of reaction from the populace at all. Or the populace

3) Do you really think "haha I killed you and took your things" is a meaningful or fun experience for the person on the other side who puts work and thought into their character? The only person this creates any 'meaningful' RP for is the killer. And even that's debatable since if they're actually so good at their job they leave no trace, well... they left no trace. There's no /point/, no way to find them. Moreover, it's disrespectful to the player of the other character who might not even be interested in the kind of 'experience' this bandit is providing.

4) Your petty insults and fights all have counter play. Political maneuvering, that kind of thing. The only thing you do with a bandit is kill them.

First off, I said quote my posts. Not generalize my posts and call me passive-aggressive. I was sarcastic when responding to grandpa, but I still respect his opinion and have supported his posts numerous times.

1.) Plenty of people spam search in my experience-- oh, but you've been present for every situation thus far in Parallel that has required the search command to be used, huh? That's as far as I'll go on that.

2.) A "reaction" from the populace that doesn't include coded NPCs would almost certainly require a staff member, and they're not available 24/7, moreso with the currently low playerbase that has been mentioned.

3.) I don't see where the 'haha I killed you' comes into play, but I definitely think killing someone for their gear in-game is realistic and generates RP. It gives the victim something to think about, the killer of course gets loot and RP to build their character with, and the whole town gets RP in their response to the murder or mugging. There is a point, and there is a way to find them. When people submit a character application, they're understanding that the game has a potential for violence to occur and that it is indeed perma-death.

4.) Petty insults and fights definitely do generate RP. But when it's more realistic on your character's part to assassinate someone and not let anyone know about it, I'll make it happen. You're not required to draw out in-game events for the convenience of others, as long as you follow the game rules. If you want to start a petition to eliminate all forms of banditry so crafters and family-members with their surplus of goods can dance around in the streets care-free, go ahead.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:40 pm      Reply with quote

<redacted>

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:05 pm      Reply with quote

Hyriana wrote:
1) And you have? 42 days IG time. Never once have I seen someone walking around spamming search. Was I there forever? No. But that's a damn long time. One time when I /did/ see someone hide, they came out and bitched at me for spam searching.

2) Thank you for proving my point. This is exactly why banditry isn't something this game really supports. What RP does it create if there's no possible way to ever find out who did it? How fun is wandering around with no hope of success?

3) Again, just no. It generates RP for the person who does the killing. 'something to think about'? What on earth can you think about when you've just been killed? What does that character take away from it, how do they grow? Oh wait, they don't, they're dead. Potentially by someone they've never even met in game. The 'windfall' of the bandit is meaningless as well. It doesn't create RP. It gives them gear so they can go do coded things.

4) Required? No. Is it respectful to actually consider the enjoyment of someone other than yourself in a situation? Hell yes it is. I'd expect them to do the same to me.

tl;dr I don't see how being a bandit can have hold any kind of enjoyment for anyone other than the bandit. Not that all PvP is bad, as long as it's the result of more interaction that just trying to take someone's stuff.

1.) Yes, I have seen spam searching on multiple occasions. It's interesting that our experiences differ.

2.) Very recently I watched a group of players discuss in length a recent encounter that involved an unknown individual attacking another. This is RP-- I don't mean exclusive RP between the bandit and victim.

3.) Coded items are what allow people to roleplay. Without them, it's be a bunch of descriptions walking around (naked) in a room with imaginary objects floating about. Coded items drive the game. I meant the player has something to think about; perhaps how to better handle and RP a similar situation in the future, and hopefully it prevents them from becoming so cozy in such a hostile setting.

4.) To each there own, eh? If I owned a MUD, as long as characters followed the rules and fit well into the setting and were respectful enough OOC I wouldn't have a problem.

I agree, a random PC bandit doesn't have much of a place in the game at the moment. But a few months ago you had 20-40 people running about, making things happen. Near release, 40-60. Things haven't always been like this, so you either change the game policies or include more vNPC and realism in your RP. Though, like I said, I encourage group/feud-based PVP more than anything.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 pm      Reply with quote

Zerero wrote:
3.) I don't see where the 'haha I killed you' comes into play, but I definitely think killing someone for their gear in-game is realistic and generates RP. It gives the victim something to think about, the killer of course gets loot and RP to build their character with, and the whole town gets RP in their response to the murder or mugging. There is a point, and there is a way to find them. When people submit a character application, they're understanding that the game has a potential for violence to occur and that it is indeed perma-death.

4.) Petty insults and fights definitely do generate RP. But when it's more realistic on your character's part to assassinate someone and not let anyone know about it, I'll make it happen. You're not required to draw out in-game events for the convenience of others, as long as you follow the game rules. If you want to start a petition to eliminate all forms of banditry so crafters and family-members with their surplus of goods can dance around in the streets care-free, go ahead.

3) Killing somebody for their loot is never, nor will it ever be, realistic and conductive to roleplaying. It ends rp, many times before the victim is even aware they are 'engaged' in it. When you say roleplaying a mugging or murder you give the wrong impression that there is an avenue of roleplay open that has them live or walk away with the majority of their belongings intact. As for 'the whole town getting rp' there is no response, there is revenge, it is that simple. Now you might enjoy being the badass twink having to run from the lynch mob, but all you've successfully done is drive another PC away from the game, further shrinking a playerbase that is fed up with that shit and sees no way to avoid it. Just once, if it was done with some consideration for the victim, it might work. But every one I have heard about or even volunteered to be part of, while not murdered every time I have had every single bit of clothing and item taken except for the boots. Now I've accepted that I don't play the most fighting oriented players, but I am more willing than most to go along with roleplay, nine times out of ten it goes past 'a brief mugging' and goes straight to a strip him down for every last item on him.

4) Petty fights do not on the whole generate rp, now for some of the better rpers they do, as they see them for what they are. Most, whom I will term the shittier roleplayers, (No pretense of being polite, I've tried, but the above is just utterly counter productive to any sort of meaningful roleplay environment) use the petty comments and the perceived lack of a respect to do the above. Kill. The fact is in very few parts of the world, outside of the LRA in Africa and other cultish factions, murder does not equal any sort of respect. Can we stop equating the two?

Tl ; dr
Stop being a shit, overcompensating twink.

Warrior on the edge of time.
Page 11 of 13   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic