Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
The Graveyard
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:37 pm      Reply with quote

Eh, guys this is the Graveyard. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of bandit/killer chars... new thread?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:49 pm      Reply with quote

I'm having trouble remembering active PvP and Staff-run 'banditry' plots in Atonement. Active PvP I do remember: Reds vs. Vultures, Anaxios vs the entire rest of the MUD, Wilmingtons vs. everyone else, Misfits vs. Snakes(And Misfits vs. Misfits), Wilmingtons vs. Wilmingtons, and then later on the Kings caused some PvP.

But here's the thing, the pattern that you could absolutely notice every time in Atonement.

Big Bad/obstacle is there.
Playerbase opposes Big Bad. Obstacle is overcome.
Big Bad/obstacle are gone.
Playerbase is bored/out of Staff-supplied things to do.
PVP/Antagonists PCs become more common.
PVP is concluced.
Big Bad/Obstacle shows up.

It happened. All. The Freaking. Time, Zerero. In Alpha it was Decks, and in Beta it was Nixxers, or mutants, or zombies, or bugs, or whatever. But I can't think of many times(if ever) there was a Staff-supplied obstacle AND active PVP.

Bandits--meaning the cannibandits--don't create PvP. If you're referring to PC bandits, then we had all of two of those. I don't think they were the height of the MUD, but I also don't think they were what led to the status quo we've got right now. There's worse things out there for players to make, but I don't really think they're a net gain overall.

But they're not the problem. The problem is a game system that really gets incredibly boring _and_ stupidly easy. There's no threat to anybody in this game(and that threat should probably come from Staff), and guns imbalance this game insanely.

Here's how combat/banditry/anything works, with guns included: Give two people rifles, let them shoot at eachother. Both will sustain wounds that will kill them unless dealt with. They have the option of dealing with their wounds(retreat, no kill), or attacking and likely killing themselves AND their target. No sane man chooses number two. It's the principle of mutually assured destruction.

Now, we move on to the other option: hidden invincibility. You're hidden. I can't see you without actively searching for you(why would I try? you're hidden and I don't know you're there). You may now shoot at me with impunity(opening volley). I can retreat(and possibly die), or return fire(possibly killing you, most likely dying myself). Most people choose to retreat. This is why hide is so-maligned, here, Zerero. It grants invincibility which cannot be countered in the time it takes to produce killing force. This isn't even counting submachine guns, or .50 caliber rifles, or assault rifles(all removed from the game). This is the reality of guns. Guns imbalance combat into the hands of the attacker, especially one with first strike capability(guaranteed by hide).

PvP(1v1) just doesn't work with it, honestly. I'm not sure the game can be salvaged if you're attempting something PVP based, except maybe single-shot only.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:53 pm      Reply with quote

Roadhawk wrote:
3) Killing somebody for their loot is never, nor will it ever be, realistic and conductive to roleplaying.

4.) The fact is in very few parts of the world, outside of the LRA in Africa and other cultish factions, murder does not equal any sort of respect. Can we stop equating the two?

Tl ; dr
Stop being a shit, overcompensating twink.

3.) Maybe you need to read the wiki once more, because killing for money and loot is definitely realistic on a virtual level within Rust. Is it conductive to roleplaying? Maybe for one or two individuals, which has already been discussed.

4.) Can we stop equating Rust and the real world? If someone disrespects my character in Rust and he's a boisterous, rowdy individual-- someone is going to get beat down. If it continues, he's going to die. That's realistic for Rust from what I've gathered on the setting, maybe it's all about your perspective. I never said anyone was killing anyone for 'respect', so I'm a little lost there.

Tl ; dr
I've never had a skill above talented in prpi and I've never abused the code. lolwut.
Stop being butthurt.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:01 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
This is a really good post and true.
\

This is a really good post and I agree with it. What we need is more of the active PvP mentioned in said post (group vs group). That's the problem with a sandbox mud without an active plot to guide the playerbase along, I think. I was just arguing that banditry for somewhat petty reasons (petty when being compared to the real-world) is realistic, supported by the setting and allowed via OOC rules. I mean, maybe the majority of the playerbase doesn't want PvP now and wants to stick with PvE (6 hour scav runs) and such, I'm not sure.

I think I'm done here, not much else to be said.

Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 am      Reply with quote

Nope. No more, least not here. I don't want to have a thread locked down because people took it off topic. Please either take this to another thread or drop the subject please.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 am      Reply with quote

I'm going to go delete all my posts and heartily suggest everyone else do the same!

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:37 pm      Reply with quote

Hey guys. Grandpa played Bastian.

Lokilol
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:13 am      Reply with quote

Oh my god Crayon. My mind...has been...

BLOWN.

[/sarcasm]

I always pronounced Lavelle as LUH-velle.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:51 pm      Reply with quote

I played Barkee, the crabby old militia man. First character I made past the age of 30 on any game; he was 43.

After some incident during a scav run when a crapton of lagatos spawned in (not sure what caused it if anything), I lost interest in playing by the time I found out he was rez'd. I went ahead and retired him instead because I was planning on killing him off soon anyways.

The reason he coughed so much was because his sub-par cybernetic was leaking acids into his insides over the twenty-so years he's had it. It's also the reason he needed new processing chips so often because they were corroding. That's pretty much everything relevant.

twitchyweasel
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:27 pm      Reply with quote

I played Thom. The Tom in the Reds. =P

Giants kudos to Mertz, Jane, Miranda, Zoe, and LT.

All had profound influence on him.

Page 12 of 13   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic