Home

Register a new account  
Bodies, Breathers and Funerary Customs
Forum Index   Θ   Player Documentation

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 am      Reply with quote

I didn't mean the mourners speedwalking, I meant... it's awkward if you're having a solemn service centered around incinerating someone and there's 85 other people breathing gatos and using ostensibly the same machine, but not taking into account that there's a bunch of mourners gathered around it, etc.

But, maybe it would be an IC awkwardness, to be using a public machine everyone uses for such a solemn, private situation. Dunno.

I would prefer not to.
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:16 am      Reply with quote

Hmm...no, that is an excellent point, and one that would point to an incinerator either being at each Family base, or at a seperate location in the Marketplace (add a room behind the organic breather, maybe?). I dunno, but it is an excellent point.

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 am      Reply with quote

I kind of like the IC awkwardness.

That said, I'd think the breathing likely isn't the ceremony bit- it just gets done to stop people decaying and all that nastiness and then the actually ceremony part is done wherever people think is appropriate for their families/Family or whatever.

Alternatively, maybe the ceremony is first and then the actual breathing is left just to a select few close friends or family. We could leave it to the Families to come up with what works for them and it could actually be fun.

Again, I can imagine slummers doing it quickly as they'd have nowhere to store the bodies (and possibly lots of hungry mourners to feed at the wake Razz), the New Guard skipping the pasting and having some elaborate burial, Red Company pasting first and having some brief, formal military thing and the Niners...probably pasting first, trying to have some big, crazy ceremony and somebody losing the tubs or whatever.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:32 am      Reply with quote

^ don't forget the orgy...they certainly won't.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:07 am      Reply with quote

Pasting first is pretty awkward, as it results in,

A buzz-cutted private says, regarding a small tub of paste solemnly, "Marcia was a great woman, and so beautiful it made my heart ache that she had pledged herself to battle alone."

But you're right, if it's day time, people might not really have the luxury of waiting around to get everybody together over Marcia's actual body. I mean, I think, really the awkwardness (and potential for gallows humor) is really only a problem if some people acknowledge it and some don't. And of course I mean acknowledge it OOCly -- some characters may still stubbornly refuse to laugh at,

A buzz-cutted private says, regarding a small tub of paste solemnly, "Marcia always made sure everybody was fed."

and that's okay.

Possibly setting the tubs on fire, if you don't have the space to bury them or don't feel it's appropriate, might be a good option, although I imagine the smell would be... appetizing, by which I mean problematic, ICly. Cool

I suppose if we did these things all the time (which is, let's face it, how often people died) they would be less awkward to do, and people would have their individual rationalizations and ways of coping with the awkwardness. But I guess I still sort of think that general ways of relating to problematic parts might be outlined, as a guide, so that people have something to go by in deciding how their particular character reacts. Part of the problem so far has been that there hasn't really been any consensus, so it's been difficult to get each character's feelings to line up (not that they have to be the same, they just have to make sense as coming from the same universe).

I would prefer not to.
HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:28 am      Reply with quote

I'm personally not so sure about breathing first being a huge thing. Why not just bury a body, or burn it, or leave it out for the Lagato, particularly for folks like the Reds or the NG?

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:48 am      Reply with quote

I don't actually see why you'd have to have the paste visible to have a ceremony, just as a side note. Could be a great excuse to make some cool, decorated metal boxes...

That said, I totally love the awkwardness. Guess I'm just evil Razz

Darkblade
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:07 am      Reply with quote

Given the discussion... why -not- have a sort of chute/incinerator for bodies if a family is against eating people-paste? I imagine that itself could actually bring a bit of RP to the game, especially if there's say, a public incinerator somewhere in the market/neutral ground where people can go to pass on the dead?

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 am      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
There are code reasons why I'd vastly prefer you to use the junk command over adding a prog'd waste disposal.

Also...the whole point of what of I've personally been saying, is basically that it makes far more sense for there to be traditions revolving around paste, because facilities for the disposal of bodies already exist. Why waste time/effort/resources making an incinerator when there's already a decent method of turning a rotting corpse into something more easily manageable?

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 am      Reply with quote

Important note:
One family already refuses to paste bodies on principle. So, culturally, I don't imagine there being a wide acceptance of pasting ceremonies as the best way to do things.

Niners, yah, because they don't care.

Reds, 50/50, recruits and privates probably become chemist supplies, corporal and above are buried.

NG, bury everyone in their own clan.

Page 2 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic