Home

Register a new account  
Frost Bite, Sun Burn and You
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
kel
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:20 pm      Reply with quote

It's be fun if the weather code from the Mars portion of Atonement could be implemented here. IE if you were outside at night, you could get cold/frost-bite-ish damage from the severe negative temperatures. And add in some massive sunburn damage if you hang outside for hours in full armor in weather described as dangerously blazing.

It's rather jarring at times, when you see half the player-base reacting to violently extreme weather conditions, while the other half seems to go around like it's a continual 70 degrees with no humidity.

And while I'm sure the argument "Well people have adapted to the temperature ranges on the moon" could be made, the very fact that there are still a lot of light skinned people (dark skin being a gradual evolutionary process for blood lines based around Earth's equator) a 120ish years really isn't nearly enough time for that sort of evolutionary adaptation.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:33 pm      Reply with quote

Sunburn/frostbite from Mars was awful. While it made sense, it was also frustrating to get stuck and die in a sandstorm of all things because you got sunstroke'd out. Or to nearly die to frostbite. I think it'd be an awful idea, truthfully - I don't want frostbite stacked on top of lagato damage. Or sunburn either. It's harsh, but I think this is one of those things where mechanics HAS to trump RP.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:34 pm      Reply with quote

What are the temperature ranges, exactly? It's hard to tell, since the weather is given in subjective terms which could mean different things to different people. There's a difference, after all, between the frigid cold of Chicago in winter and the frigid cold of Antarctica. I mean, I could look up the temperature ranges on the actuall moon, but I'm assuming the atmospheric generators mitigate some of the extremes that would make survival difficult/impossible? Should I not be assuming that? Embarassed

Also, I'm not sure I want to deal with getting frost-bitten on my way to Bjork's for two weeks out of the month. Cool

Also, I would love to see people wearing their street clothes instead of armor, during the day, at least, but storage is a bit of a problem. At least, for a lot of people.

Lastly, I tend to take people described as terribly pale with something of a grain of salt. I think "pale for the moon." Maybe I'm Awful, but I don't think that most people around at the time of the Prison Break were pale-skinned Europeans. If the world was brought together under one government, it's likely that over time most people were a combination of more or less everything, yielding something in the neighborhood of a yellowy-brown, on average.

Even without the one-world government, this is something that tends to happen on its own, with the advent of ever-more-effective transportation methods. Really the only thing that keeps people from interbreeding is not being in the same place at the same time. Cool

Which, incidentally, might also be more like what the people who evolved in Africa when it was a lot greener than it is today looked like. Dark skin is an evolutionary adaptation, probably, but so is light skin, since in some places soaking up more of the rare sunlight is necessary. It's actually hard to say whether very dark skin would be advantageous on the Moon, since half the time there's no sun at all. *ponder*

I would prefer not to.
kog
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 pm      Reply with quote

I kind of thought about the street clothes thing for awhile too, but then people started getting mugged/murdered/shot. So if you think about the lifestyle, it's probably best to have a weapon/full suit of armor if you walk anywhere outside of a Family base/Bjork's, because a t-shirt isn't gonna stop a knife or a bullet.

Basically, the code punishes you pretty hard for not having armor on if you get attacked. Punishing you pretty hard for having armor off TOO? That seems a bit conflicting.

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 pm      Reply with quote

kog wrote:
Sunburn/frostbite from Mars was awful. While it made sense, it was also frustrating to get stuck and die in a sandstorm of all things because you got sunstroke'd out.

Well, no sandstorms to get stuck in, here. So not much of a worry.

Bartleby wrote:
Also, I'm not sure I want to deal with getting frost-bitten on my way to Bjork's for two weeks out of the month.

And it needn't even be that bad. Maybe once every whatever-minutes there's a check, and you could get a small level freeze/burn damage. So you could way to/from a family base to Bjork's without a worry. And maybe during a long scav run, you may end up with 5 or 6 small damages, which is next to absolutely nothing, damage wise.

kog wrote:
Basically, the code punishes you pretty hard for not having armor on if you get attacked. Punishing you pretty hard for having armor off TOO? That seems a bit conflicting.

I have a feeling that weather-based-code reflecting what you're wearing would be borderline impossible. The simple truth is, a majority of the people never react to the weather. People will complain when other people don't properly RP to the environment of what's currently going down in Bjork's, but will stand around in "It is a dangerously searing high sun" like it's a nice mild day in Vermont.

---

If not coded damage, then I'd say there should be at least some coded effect. Maybe people are hit with forced sweating/shivering messages, etc. Something to encourage, and at least remind (I'm sure there's people who never even type weather, to see what it's like out) to RP accordingly.

Akin to the infection/drug messages on the ship. The PC might see like "You are starting to feel faint from the heat" while everyone else in the room says "so and so begins sweating profusely."

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:54 pm      Reply with quote

kel wrote:
If not coded damage, then I'd say there should be at least some coded effect. Maybe people are hit with forced sweating/shivering messages, etc. Something to encourage, and at least remind (I'm sure there's people who never even type weather, to see what it's like out) to RP accordingly.

Akin to the infection/drug messages on the ship. The PC might see like "You are starting to feel faint from the heat" while everyone else in the room says "so and so begins sweating profusely."

I wouldn't mind private pechoes, to remind one. I agree that it's hard to be immersed in the weather when half the people around you aren't acknowledging it at all. And I think with a lot of people it's just that they're thinking about other things and haven't really considered the weather lately, or they feel like it's too much trouble to keep track or something. A progressive series of increasingly strong reminders might help a lot, actually.

But I'm not sure about echoes other people can see. For one thing, it's a bit jarring and confusing to see someone start sweating all of a sudden. That's not really how sweating works, unless there's some kind of health problem, hence the confusion. Plus, I think that it would invite people to try to judge/force their conception of the "appropriate" response to such a condition onto other players, which is always a messy bad idea, IMO.

It's already bad enough, how much people argue about what's an appropriate response to a moderate wound, or a terrible one, or whatever, and the degree to which one tends to judge others by whether or not they have the same conception of how to play that as you do. In some ways it would be more immersive (not that I'm suggesting this) if you couldn't see what kind of wound they had. Then you could just take Mr Crypants at his word about his horrific scar, and Mr Getupandgo would just seem lucky.

I would prefer not to.
Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:03 pm      Reply with quote

Unless you bruise like a banana...then going outside becomes a chance of fate of whether you get worn down by sunburns and a random gato

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm      Reply with quote

Bartleby wrote:
It's already bad enough, how much people argue about what's an appropriate response to a moderate wound, or a terrible one, or whatever, and the degree to which one tends to judge others by whether or not they have the same conception of how to play that as you do. In some ways it would be more immersive (not that I'm suggesting this) if you couldn't see what kind of wound they had. Then you could just take Mr Crypants at his word about his horrific scar, and Mr Getupandgo would just seem lucky.

For what it's worth, people who are dicks to people who actually roleplay their wounds are my least favorite kind of people.

As to coded weather effects, they're fairly unlikely on any grand scale- though there will be some environmental factors to the world in the next month or two.

Watson
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
And add in some massive sunburn damage if you hang outside for hours in full armor in weather described as dangerously blazing.

Sunburns are caused by solar radiation, not by high temperature. IF someone's wearing full armor, they're probably not going to get sunburned due to the armor absorbing the radiation. Heatstroke, though, is very possible.

Blue
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:48 pm      Reply with quote

I think private environmental echoes would be neat, I must say, particularly if they took into account both ambient temperature and length of exposure. Worn items contributing would be even better. Worth the trouble coding? Probably not, but neat, nevertheless.

Damage though? Please no.

You know that thing, where people have a hard time rping on scav runs because there’s 27 people in the room? Well, there are only so many indoor rooms, and a fair chunk of them are clan specific. While yes, having to hustle inside because you’re freezing is certainly immersive, it’s hard enough finding someplace to have a quiet conversation with three to five people, and having your fingers fall off because you wanted to hang around and chat outdoors seems punitive.

I’ve seen people do great things with the weather, there are probably many others, myself included, who would like to, but sometimes forget. A friendly reminder that it’s hot/cold/pleasant/windy would do a lot toward encouraging people to react appropriately.

Just as there are those who will wear their armor -everywhere- and those who will doggedly traipse about in a sundress at the risk of being stabbed, there are people who will shiver unprompted when they forget their mittens or carry a code-useless parasol for the sun, and others who will inevitably shrug off weather-damage because they shrug off all the rest of the damage already.

I don’t think the code can be written that will force people to RP. However, I’ve found, most times, that if you set a precedent of immersive behavior, other players will follow suit.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic