Register a new account  
Wilderness Changes We'd Like to See
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 am      Reply with quote

Many of us seem to have gripes regarding the way scav trips presently work. I think a lot of those gripes can boil down to a few things. To list a few I've seen: Too many people standing around, too much spam, it takes a long time for a seemingly negligible payoff.
Some of these could be fixed on the code side of things. They might not be! But rather than complain endlessly, maybe let's start actually suggesting things. Maybe staff will like some of them.

As for myself, changes I think would greatly help make scav runs less of a grind include... (note that many of these were things other people suggested in other threads, I just wanted to put them all in one place/open a thread specifically for discussing this so we don't need a new "gripe thread" every week)

Powerful mobs that only target large groups, but which are valuable in some way. Specifically blind space bears, but anything will do. Maybe they only patrol a certain distance from Rust, to boot. Give us a reason to want 20+ people, other than mass amounts of lagatos.

In vein of that: Mobs only go after groups of certain sizes. Lagatos no longer commit to a suicidal charge. Shredders ignore loners because there isn't enough meat for the whole pack. Those are just examples.

More aggressive pack animals spawning, like shredders and beetles, and less singular/nonaggressive animals like lagatos and coyotes. When you have a slow connection/don't set up triggers to "hit lizard", getting into a fight with a slow connection shouldn't be a special treat.

Faraway places really ought to be worth travelling to. Right now, aside from one or two rooms with rare scav, they really don't feel that way. Risk versus Reward is just a tad out of whack. My opinion, not everyone's.

Foraging places the item in your hand, if a hand is free.
    Foraging also no longer echos to the room, but instead sets a temporary pmote.
    Foraging only sends personal echos. The first is a reminder to roleplay your foraging attempt, the second is what you find.

Subgroups. Allows you to "set autoaid" in order to automatically aide the leader, and let's you use "talk" in a way to that only spreads to people in your subgroup/squad. This isn't a gripe I have, I just think it would help make families more exclusive and "family like."

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 am      Reply with quote

We're working on something that should hopefully address most of these.

I don't agree with the last one though- if you're in a big group, you're in a big group. Some of the big trips like that are the only occasions where Families might actually do stuff together, I personally wouldn't want to discourage that.

Also, I don't think autoaid would help the tendency to zone out/afk at all.

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 am      Reply with quote

Please no super-powerful mobs specifically targeting large groups. It's enough of a pain in the ass getting from point A to point B to begin with, under present circumstances, without having safety in numbers suddenly be no longer a thing.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:51 am      Reply with quote

I personally don't mind the idea of a mob that attacked larger groups, as long as it provided a tangible benefit and didn't insta-murder anyone not in full plate with adroit skills. However, that is a personal preference, not necessarily shared by most, or even the majority.

Another thing I kinda wanted to bring up is hide creep. I don't know how it is in other Families, but because of the fact we tend to murder 8 or more lagatos per trip (sometimes many more), even when the hides are split up we end up with SO many. Heck, I think we had hundreds of squick hides just laying around that we ended up breathing just because they were taking up space. The reason for this is in ARPI we had haggle, which was a hide sink, produced chips, and meant we weren't forever drowning in hides.

Note that I am NOT suggesting that we reintroduce haggle, because I think that we are going for a non-chip-based economy at the moment, and I am 100% okay with that. What I am suggesting is that either we get less from the wilderness animals that we are ripping through right now, have less of them to slaughter so easily, have different mobs out there that don't provide that stuff (like beetles and shredders), or have another hides sink (such as stitching them together for cheap clothing for dependents on your turf or something). Some/most of that has been covered above, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:07 am      Reply with quote

Most of the reason for the crazy amount of hides around is suicidal legatos. Large scav groups bring in 4-10 lagatos a trip just as a by-product of the lagatos charging into them. Those hides can in theory armor up 4-10 people..armor creep is really rough right now.

I would honestly like to see a hunting target, something that is docile, auto-flee's avoids all pc's. You need to sneak/hide to get close enough to shoot it and you need tracking to really have a chance to find it. It could drop something like a dyable hide that tailors might want but it wont unbalance the game.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 am      Reply with quote

You know, I love the concept, but having talked to the admins and seen prey animals in other MUDs, they tend to be kinda lame and just provide another way for people to grind up their gun and tracking skills without much RP. -HOWEVER-, this may actually be completely doable, and might even be cool, we would have to see what the admins think.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:34 am      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
You know, I love the concept, but having talked to the admins and seen prey animals in other MUDs, they tend to be kinda lame and just provide another way for people to grind up their gun and tracking skills without much RP. -HOWEVER-, this may actually be completely doable, and might even be cool, we would have to see what the admins think.

I can go kill a lagato by myself, get retarded amounts of food and a hide that is almost worthless, or I can go hunt a prey animal that is hard to get but might give me a couple chips for the rarity.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:44 am      Reply with quote

We've actually identified the major problems about a month ago, and have been working our asses off behind the scenes on something.

I can't say more, but it pretty much addresses all your issues. Particularly the bit with some new code that gauges group size for progs.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 am      Reply with quote

^ see? admins win again.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 am      Reply with quote

Glad to hear y'all are working on it! I think I saw someone mention that in another thread, just wanted to try to get something positive going, rather than endless, nonconstructive complaints >_>

Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic