Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:53 am      Reply with quote

Flincher14 wrote:
padweld999 wrote:
You know, I love the concept, but having talked to the admins and seen prey animals in other MUDs, they tend to be kinda lame and just provide another way for people to grind up their gun and tracking skills without much RP. -HOWEVER-, this may actually be completely doable, and might even be cool, we would have to see what the admins think.

I can go kill a lagato by myself, get retarded amounts of food and a hide that is almost worthless, or I can go hunt a prey animal that is hard to get but might give me a couple chips for the rarity.

Going in and out of the gate and twink shooting gatos and waiting until they die doesn't count as 'killing a lagato by myself.' There's no sneaking around the wastes and hunting and shooting a 'prey animal' by yourself. You'd shoot it and then get gang banged by aggro mobs.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:59 am      Reply with quote

and if you didnt? I mean...you snagged a couple prey animals and made a couple chips, probably didn't RP very much, if at all, and then rinse and repeat.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:19 pm      Reply with quote

But, I do want to make something clear:

PRPI emerged from the ashes of Atonement in 18 days. Literally, everything you guys see, was brought back to life in 18 days. A lot of things will be broke as shit, and that's ok. These threads are also ok, because not all of us always keep a good eye on the lower level things.

So, it'll take 6 months to a year for some things to truly get sorted out. And we expected that. The goal of PRPI was to give the community /something/ to play, /something/ that wasn't utter crap. We aimed low. And it worked. It'll take us time to make improvements.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 pm      Reply with quote

and you know what? I am with you 100% on that. and I think 98% of the playerbase is as well. If there is anything I can do to help (other than that document draft I'm slapping together today), let me know.

Octavius
Registered

Consultant

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:46 am      Reply with quote

Adding some more thoughts based on lessons learned from Atonement:

* We DO need to get the Mob AI working to recognize group size. This is a coder function, not a prog function, so goes on the longer list.

* We need flying creatures. It is important to have threats that cannot be engaged in melee if we want players to emphasize the use of firearms.

* Useful prey animals is a good idea, imho, as it DOES give a reason to use firearms and track. If all wildlife attacks, these skills lack a lot of incentive.

* Build useful terrain options. A flat grid of four-square in all directions just having different room descriptions lacks coded tactical options. Modifying the moonscape to have ridge lines, trenches, etc. adds a lot to the experience. It allows players to learn the lay of the land, set up sniper positions to cover a group or chokepoint, etc. Combine an ability to use tactics with creatures that need tactics used on them and you can get a more gratifying experience.

* Build progged doors, escape points, etc. This ties to the point above - player knowledge of terrain is a good thing. With a flat world and no features, you cannot escape if you get in over your head. Let players have the option of jumping through a fall room to get away from a predator. To hole up in an abandoned mechanical hulk or outpost, radio for help, and wait for the beast to wander off.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:27 pm      Reply with quote

Already backed up creatures that attack based on group size before, but I'm also going to throw my support in with the terrain options. Terrain that affects how many people can attack a creature or affects movement rates getting in and out (for instance only three people can attack in a trench and it takes longer flee for both parties) would do wonders for making the game more dynamic.

Editted to add: I know Octavius had more in mind for the terrain options, but I think movement rates and attack restrictions is a good first step towards the later goals of sniper positions and the like.

Octavius
Registered

Consultant

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote

Does anyone have feedback based on practical experience with the Mining Plateau and Crawlworms on Atonement? That is a good example of this being implemented, and I'm wondering if any players used it and had thoughts.

* It used MoonSand, which is the hardest to move through.

* It had dynamic terrain which included bluffs, overlooks, and ledges where snipers could be stationed and ambushes established.

* It used the mining code to allow players to summon foes which took the effort to spawn at the map edge and come in across the terrain, allowing ambushes and trap code to be effective against them (rather than spawning them in-room).

If this sort of design was deemed successful in practice, it would be the example to be emulated.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:55 pm      Reply with quote

It never really worked right and once you figured it out it was really simple/easy.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:17 pm      Reply with quote

As a new player, I'm about ready to say, "screw the RP."

Just give me something to do that doesn't require 5+ other players. Then I can have something to talk about in between large-scale scavving trips.

Also, I'd love the ability to secure areas with large groups. I'd love for large groups to split up and explore an area. I'd love for areas to be large enough that we'd need to split up.

I'd also love rare, sneaky monsters that would attack loners or targets of opportunity. Just rare enough that you could reliably split up like this.

hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:39 pm      Reply with quote

Coyotes are like that, I think, Brainwright. Although they're not really that rare...

I would really like the potential for smaller group sizes, too.

Page 2 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic