Register a new account  
Lore Q & A
Forum Index   Θ   Player Documentation

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:27 pm      Reply with quote

HAL wrote:

Q. What sort of scurrying micro-fauna is about? Are there roaches, birds?
A. A few birds, possibly, but they would be incredibly rare. There are of course the rats and squicks, but on the smaller side there are roaches, mini-beetles (think elephant beetles), and other sort of mice and small hangers-on. As to why there are so many things like that for a Penal Colony, that’s up to speculation. Perhaps it wasn’t always one?

What is pollinating the flora?

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:33 pm      Reply with quote

Disease: I think that disease was scratched off as being something which was eliminated in Utopian times in the ARPI setting. Does it exist in PRPI? If not, what is the IG reasoning?

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:32 pm      Reply with quote

I was under the impression that (other than involving the moon and around the same level of tech) that this was a completely different timeline from ARPI. As in, NOTHING from any point after modern times is the same. Is this incorrect?

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:29 am      Reply with quote

So, I'm wondering. How do the goals of the various families PCs align with the actual family lines? Guard for improving their territory, and Reds for kind of the same at the moment. Plus whatever the Niners are going for?

I know for instance that the Reds are doing a bunch of work updating their turf and buildings things, sending out work crews and the like. But all the turf descriptions are kind of 'eh' as opposed to reflecting this. Is this all a new development? And if it is, why isn't command stomping down hard for waste of resources?

It seems kind of odd, to me at least, based on the whole military description that everything should be so shoddy looking when the military mindset would lend more to being clean and stark. Or is this just to differentiate from the NG?

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:36 am      Reply with quote

Next batch!

Q. What is polinating the Flora?
A. Most of the flora is actually fungal based. So, fruiting or flowering plants that require such things are rare. They still exist, such as the herbs you use, but they are mostly polinated by wind or squicks.

Q.Is there disease in our setting?
A. Yes. There is disease. Pretty much of all sorts.
Are we linked in any way to the Atonement Universe/Timeline?
A. No. There are similarities, however. To say that nothing is the same would be incorrect. But, that can be attributed to coincidence rather than sinister forces at work.

How do the goals of the various families PCs align with the actual family lines?

A. Well, this is an interesting question. Fundamentally, our PCs that you see IG are the leadership of a family, from top to bottom. There are no other groups around above them. That isn't to say there couldn't be. As PCs have full power, there is nothing stopping them from requesting the formation of an NPC council to help them run things and maintain clan direction. I'm sure some of the old leadership is enjoying retirement somewhere in the slums, and could be brought back if needed. But, they'd need to be asked.

eltanimras
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:04 pm      Reply with quote

Is there paper in Rust? Pens, pencils, books? (I understand there are blueprints and sewing patterns, but I don't know how they're made.)

I also understand there are databooks, holodiscs, and laptops. Can you comment on how common (or rare) and/or valuable these are? Or on common and uncommon topics, fiction vs. non-fiction, etc.? (Although it's more than possible I'm missing things, all I'm finding in the wiki at the moment is this: "Few have any real use for a computer, however, so the supply is often higher than the demand as almost nobody can read or otherwise put a laptop to any meaningful use." [Edit: Also "They sometimes style themselves after the images of ancient soldiers and warriors found on scavenged holodiscs or artworks".])

A hundred and twenty years later, how much is remembered about the old penal colony? Did it have a name? Is there any consensus about the reasons for the rebellion? About its size, about what daily life was like for the prisoners, about how closely tied the outposts they eventually overran were to the penal colony itself?

The life expectancy of the average Ruster may be only 50 years, but even that means some of the original prisoners must have been alive 90 years ago (assuming a minimum age of 20 at the rebellion). If they had kids when they were 30 (110 years ago), a fair number of that second generation must have still been around 60 years ago. By similarly conservative logic, the third would have survived until at most 30 years ago ... so today's older Rusters would have known them personally. Throw in a few people living to 60 or 70, or having kids at 35-40, and we're even closer -- I wouldn't be terribly surprised if a handful of Rusters had even known members of the second generation.

Considering how important legends of the rebellion & its leaders seem to at least the New Guard and the NIners, I'm surprised we don't seem to have more stories of those times, however confused, exaggerated, or otherwise edited they might be.

Hmm, I seem to have gotten a bit carried away with that. Embarassed

p.s. M. wonders if there are (smoking) pipes in-game.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:21 pm      Reply with quote

More questions~

1) Before the Families (or the current families, I guess) were things better or worse off in Rust? Was there a lot of gang violence between various little groups. Some families say they 'patrol' the slums, but how successful are these peacekeeping efforts? Or are they just really holding people up for chips?

2) How do the plants in the walled of church area actually grow? Was all they needed really a bit of formulated dirt? There's no real precipitation to my knowledge and no one has actually been watering or caring for them really. If it's the case that they're so robust, how is it that beetles managed to eat every single plant in the entire wasteland?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:27 pm      Reply with quote

Hyriana wrote:
beetles managed to eat every single plant in the entire wasteland?

I may have made that up entirely and it shouldn't be considered canon, that's just me running my dumb mouth.

...admittedly it's better than "WE PICKED THEM ALL," but not by much. My suggestion is that we retcon there -ever- having been plants growing outside(much less in the vasty quantities we found).

That done, we just have them able to grow anywhere, though they do need protection from beetles. But, uh, again: I made the beetles thing up and it's not something Staff ever said, agreed to, or commented on, so they needn't be held to it.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 am      Reply with quote

I'm wondering about races, are there like racially-sectioned slums? Or do some races just not live in the slums? If you're a Callistan did you most likely come from a Callistan community? Are there camps where just Titans hang out and are racist at non-Titans? Where do Martian families live? Are they all just intermingled? How do they find each other if they want to? Etc.

WorkerDrone
Registered

Duke Attitude

Post Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

From what I understand, Martians and Titans are considered "uncommon". Given the "size" of Rust (relatively small community compared to where I live, really) but the scope, it's possible some bands of aligned races have sequestered themselves off from everyone else, though certainly not everyone--just from what I've understood from roleplay thusfar.

Callistans however, given their low population and confirmed secretiveness, at least as a stereotype, probably do keep pretty close together and away from everyone else. No one can tell, really, where they are in a crowd, and I imagine not seeing many of the small population of them come around as PCs, might just indicate that it takes one to break the mold to start going around making contacts with Terrans and Martians and Titans.

Take all that with a grain of salt, though, I guess.

Page 2 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic