Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:29 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
The objective and rewards of roleplay

What are these, how do you suggest we implement them with in-game cybernetics, and what would you like to add to the proposal in general?
Quote:
should be in no way related to being MORE LEET SUPERSWORD CYBERNETIC MASTER.

Quote:
Can we focus less on ways to get shinier hats and bigger guns and more reasons for people to roleplay for reasons entirely apart from better numbers?

This is a legitimate, common reason to play the game. Consider how much of the conversation and how much of even a -good- player's time is spent with code/making numbers go up(see: "guns don't work" for recent forum threads on the subject), pretending otherwise is probably pointless.

Quote:
The only way all of the work in adding this to the game will benefit it at all will be adding another coded carrot for twinks to chase. , and it doesn't make the world more interesting at all. I would rather staff time was spent doing things that would add to the roleplay, immersion, and interactivity of the world
\
Nobody who's Staff has put any work into this at this point, nor do I intend for there to be -work- for Staff to do outside of a few small things(dealing wounds, checking RPP/answering e-mails, and granting RPP in general). The crafts are going to be designed on the forums, and everything's going to be finished--by the community--before I submit a -finished-, _final_ proposal/draft to Staff.

Quote:
We've tried the coded carrot for twinks to chase idea before in multiple forms

Quote:
outside of twinking more skills and getting bigger muscles than putting another thing like this out there, since it's just the same idea ("twink skills, get stronger!") rehashed and no more exciting than the last time.

When? Also, realize that none of this is related to twinks getting power purely by code means: any suggestions thus far have been that RPP are required, though most-if-not-all of your concerns go to another thread.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:01 pm      Reply with quote

Lost wrote:
I think this is an awful idea from top to bottom.

Can we focus less on ways to get shinier hats and bigger guns and more reasons for people to roleplay for reasons entirely apart from better numbers?

The objective and rewards of roleplay should be in no way related to being MORE LEET SUPERSWORD CYBERNETIC MASTER.

The only way all of the work in adding this to the game will benefit it at all will be adding another coded carrot for twinks to chase. We've tried the coded carrot for twinks to chase idea before in multiple forms, and it doesn't make the world more interesting at all. I would rather staff time was spent doing things that would add to the roleplay, immersion, and interactivity of the world outside of twinking more skills and getting bigger muscles than putting another thing like this out there, since it's just the same idea ("twink skills, get stronger!") rehashed and no more exciting than the last time.

And before you go there, no, it won't be a neat roleplaying thing: it will be a bland, thinly-veiled "I made up this IC excuse to have more coded power" thing, and I personally could not find this entire idea any less interesting.

This isn't even necessarily about stat points or boosts or anything. The stat boosts post cyborg surgery are optional... get a grievous-horrible wound? The road back to 100% can be a long term RP tool and this is something that can involve a lot of people in the process.

What this does add is finally a 'where did your cybernetics come from?' answer. It's a lot easier to explain away when your PC can actually name someone that has/can do the work.

It adds a whole new business to the game that would have to involve multiple PCs. Want the best cybernetics IG? You know you have to go to chemist steve, technician susan, and doctor bob the best cybernetics team in town.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 pm      Reply with quote

Considering cybernetics would have to involve so precise surgery that I don't think a human hand could do all of it (you'd have to connect the implant to either nerves or the spinal cord for one), there should be some sort of highly fragile machine that's needed; like lathes are to gunsmiths. For instance, a large medical pod that's sterile on the inside and the doctor has to use a mixture of traditional surgery and laser-guided technology of some sort.

Anyways, it's another expensive ingredient that'll help keep cybernetics rare.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:53 pm      Reply with quote

In regards to where present cybernetics come from : I always assumed that there -was- a hackdoc who was killed/passed away about 10 years ago.

Octavius
Registered

Consultant

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:18 pm      Reply with quote

Nedinu wrote:
Considering cybernetics would have to involve so precise surgery that I don't think a human hand could do all of it (you'd have to connect the implant to either nerves or the spinal cord for one), there should be some sort of highly fragile machine that's needed; like lathes are to gunsmiths. For instance, a large medical pod that's sterile on the inside and the doctor has to use a mixture of traditional surgery and laser-guided technology of some sort.

Anyways, it's another expensive ingredient that'll help keep cybernetics rare.

This, essentially.

The original craft structure has a Poor-craftset, then an Ordinary-craftset, then a Good-craftset. This was designed as the limit of what could be done by hand-forging in a tech-starved world.

There were always plans for the advanced-crafts that come after that... you probably have a few more months before anyone's skills would get there. (configure nightvision-glasses exists in this category, as did the skill-boost ear-computers, which Matt says are removed.) The idea of the advanced crafts is that they would take a seperate set of tools - essentially some high-end scavengable industrial machining. We worked out a system where you'd use room-sized reconstructed industrial-machining plant to make items at that level. There was always a plan to include cybernetics at that time, with a room-size medpod as one of the requirements. But then we moved the storyline on, left the moon, and didn't finish it.

Part of the idea here is to make remote-stationing a requirement and reality. Your clan would need to find one of these lost manufacturing sites, claim it, restore the infrastructure, guard it from wildlife and other clans, etc. They would be far enough away that you'd set up shop there, moving back and forth as an RPT instead of doing the round-trip as an RPT. It would then also emphasize the remote-communication mechanisms to keep the clan in touch - computers, mainframes, networks, etc.

I don't know if that idea appeals to the new game-design.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:47 am      Reply with quote

I love that idea, Octavius.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:33 pm      Reply with quote

Nightvision glasses actually is also temporarily removed. Its the main feature for a 3 rpp race and its at a cost of 2 stat points. The glasses were way to easy to make once you get the skill level.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:49 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Nightvision glasses actually is also temporarily removed. Its the main feature for a 3 rpp race and its at a cost of 2 stat points. The glasses were way to easy to make once you get the skill level.

1 stat point, I'd say. Moderate cybernetics are +2 total at 3RPP. Calistans are +1 total, plus infravision, at 3RPP.

ETA:
I'm posting a first draft with all the new input from this thread tomorrow.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:30 pm      Reply with quote

How about an overall benefit of 0 stat points instead of turning RPP into another snore-inducing way to twink your character?

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:47 pm      Reply with quote

Lost wrote:
How about an overall benefit of 0 stat points instead of turning RPP into another snore-inducing way to twink your character?

Your hostility really isn't appreciated. It is also kind of ridiculous when your targeting arguably one of the best players currently active in the game. The policing of any system and the RP that goes along with it is up to the RPAs. Trust me they aren't going to just 'let it be another way to twink'.

Page 3 of 7   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic