Cybernetics: A fully-formed proposal
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:41 pm      Reply with quote

Lost wrote:
How about an overall benefit of 0 stat points instead of turning RPP into another snore-inducing way to twink your character?

grandpa wrote:
Quote:
The objective and rewards of roleplay

What are these, how do you suggest we implement them with in-game cybernetics, and what would you like to add to the proposal in general?
Quote:
should be in no way related to being MORE LEET SUPERSWORD CYBERNETIC MASTER.

Quote:
Can we focus less on ways to get shinier hats and bigger guns and more reasons for people to roleplay for reasons entirely apart from better numbers?

This is a legitimate, common reason to play the game. Consider how much of the conversation and how much of even a -good- player's time is spent with code/making numbers go up(see: "guns don't work" for recent forum threads on the subject), pretending otherwise is probably pointless.

Quote:
The only way all of the work in adding this to the game will benefit it at all will be adding another coded carrot for twinks to chase. , and it doesn't make the world more interesting at all. I would rather staff time was spent doing things that would add to the roleplay, immersion, and interactivity of the world
\
Nobody who's Staff has put any work into this at this point, nor do I intend for there to be -work- for Staff to do outside of a few small things(dealing wounds, checking RPP/answering e-mails, and granting RPP in general). The crafts are going to be designed on the forums, and everything's going to be finished--by the community--before I submit a -finished-, _final_ proposal/draft to Staff.

Quote:
We've tried the coded carrot for twinks to chase idea before in multiple forms

Quote:
outside of twinking more skills and getting bigger muscles than putting another thing like this out there, since it's just the same idea ("twink skills, get stronger!") rehashed and no more exciting than the last time.

When? Also, realize that none of this is related to twinks getting power purely by code means: any suggestions thus far have been that RPP are required, though most-if-not-all of your concerns go to another thread.

I understand you're just entirely against this, but here's what's being offered: a chance to jointly shape and design an entire craftsuite and avenue of roleplay. You're bringing up good points, but I don't yet see any actual clarification yet.

Do that, please?

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:36 pm      Reply with quote

So, Cybernetics are going to need staff interactions before they are in place and from the looks of things, are going to cost RPP. I don't really want to see people going "Ow, my foot.. better got get a cybernetic one" Cybernetics should be used when there is a huge quality of life impact on the person.

My lunch-break worry is :
- Johnny gets his eye ripped out.
- Johnny pets up his rpp to get a cybernetic eye.
-A couple of days later cybernetic eye is produced and BAM! superpowers.

I would be interested what people would think about something more alogn the lines of :
-Johnny gets his eye ripped out.
-Johnny pets up his rpp to get a cybernetic eye
-Johnny spends the next month slightly nerfed some way (like dex for example) to illustrate why he needs a cybernetic eye and isn's content with just an eyeatch. His quality of life is lowered.
-A month passes and Johnny gets his eye and BAM! superpowers.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:57 pm      Reply with quote

I think perhaps people are overestimating just how much of a boost you get from getting a cybernetic implant. I mean, I have played cybernetics and not gotten anything over peak still in terms of stats. yes, it is an improvement, but honestly, I wouldn't call it superpowers.

(Of course, this isn't taking into account moderate/major cybernetics, which replace a substantial part/MOST of your body. I would hesitate to have people doing that without a -very- good cause, and even then, its one bump in a level to a stat/a couple bumps, and drawbacks to match in each case).

Now what I COULD see is having a hard cap on how high you could crank some skills, and this only really applies to races that get big boosts already...Okay, let's face it, I mean Titans. For example, if a titan got to 4 RPP, got a grevious set of wounds that actually realistically mean he could apply for major cybernetics. Well, if he already had superhuman con and decided that's what was being bumped, he would go up to..I dont even know what that IS! perhaps a hard line on how far up you can go? Just a thought. This is really the only instance I could see it being a huge deal for stat increases.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 pm      Reply with quote

Sorry, that was me trying to sum up my thoughts in 5 minutes. I'll try a little more eloquently this time.

I'd hate for cybernetics to be a everyday option for people to take. My personal opinion is it should be an option for the desperately in need. We've all seen characters with massive injuries before and most of them just spend a few days in bed before getting on with life as if nothing happened. Their daily life isn't really impeded and so cybernetics wouldn't be a natural option to them.

Now turn that on its head and you see someone with horrific wounds and rps them out wonderfully. Who can't walk right, can't fight right, can barely see... Cybernetics would be an option to them just to keep surviving in Rust. I want to see their wounds impacting on their daily life, I want to see them struggling, I want to see them desperate for implants.

It may not be much to us on the outside, but when they get even just a minor cybernetic implant to make them just that little bit above what they were before... they are going to feel like fucking superheroes, all of their christmas's will come at once and God? they would drop down to their knees and blow him happily. Good for them, they played the cripple and did their time and they deserve the benefits after the long struggle.

tl;dr: Cybernetics should only be used for wounds that are crippling to a character. Nerfs to the PC for a timeframe before receiveing the impants would reinforce the dire situation said PC is in without it which would make getting an implant a neccessity.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:46 pm      Reply with quote

slyviolin wrote:

-Johnny spends the next month slightly nerfed some way (like dex for example) to illustrate why he needs a cybernetic eye and isn's content with just an eyeatch. His quality of life is lowered.
-A month passes and Johnny gets his eye and BAM! superpowers.

I don't really care about offering a sacrifice to the RP gods in return for cybernetics.

This is not a game where we make each other feel good, inflate our egos, and then go out to do dangerous or boring things.

This is a game where we go out and do dangerous or boring things that inflate our egos, and then come back to inflate our egos even more.

Demanding someone play a cripple for a month cuts them out of the game, and I don't particularly like it.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 am      Reply with quote

Ya know, I think maybe the best solution for advanced cybernetics balance might be to get certain necessary components from Hyperion.

Wait, just think about it. Any attempt to balance cybernetics is an attempt to remove any affect they have on the rest of the game. It's a stupid goal. Cybernetics are supposed to be awesome.

So let's say there's a raid into Hyperion. Let's say it halts at a manufacturing lab that Dust doesn't want to damage and Hyperion doesn't want to give up.

So they reach a settlement. However, Hyperion can't bring the light of civilization to the rest of the Lunar surface because they've experienced the same technological decline as everyone else. They can still produce a few miracles of modern technology, but in very limited quantities.

So you get something like five bio-safe nuclear batteries, five nano-control modules, and whatever else you can think of. The settlement states that Hyperion will maintain this number of these devices at all times.

Then it's the playerbase's turn to see how they are distributed.

Sounds like fun to me. Gives players something to compete over, and can build instant plot devices by giving the tech to some NPC faction that then starts trouble. You almost couldn't ask for more.

hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 am      Reply with quote

That's almost guaranteeing five cyborgs, and at the same time, potentially interfering with a sandbox-style approach to Hyperion. It's more like some forced linear storyline.

I think it's better if the situation is manageable on a non-plot-organized basis, but next-to-impossible in terms of effort necessary. The necessary effort, risk, and roleplaying expertise should be enough to keep the situation rare without needing to add RPP into the equation.

But for stat bonuses, if the admin want to add RPP, OK. Otherwise people may just try to go for cyborg for the sake of having a stronger PC instead of for the sake of following an organic storyline. It might be better to have that subconscious temptation nixed for players that tend that way. The admin will probably have to approve cybernetic description changes and all that on an individual case too.

That's my take on it at least.

It would kind of be a funny way to die, trying to get turned into a cyborg and then the whole thing fails and you either die right there or you become a cripple and get suicidal.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:52 am      Reply with quote

Don't worry the actual crafting will be incredibly difficult. (if I'm doing it.)

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 am      Reply with quote

It could be impossible to craft them and the only way to actually get a part is to pry it from the dead bodies of current PCs that have them. *evil snigger*

Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:08 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
I don't yet see any actual clarification yet.

Do that, please?

I oppose RPP being used to directly twink your character ingame. I don't know how more clearly I can tell you this.

This is just another device that twinks will use to gain bigger coded numbers. Some roleplay could come out of it, but 99% of it will be Muscles McMasterson finding a contrived IC excuse to get cybernetics for the kewl +1 strength bonus with it. It's an MMO-style addition to a game that's really starving for reasons to RP that don't have to do with coded numbers.

Twinks have enough coded carrots to chase. Why not turn this into a roleplaying-based idea instead of a twinking-based idea?

Page 4 of 7   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic