Home

Register a new account  
Gun skills have no effect
Forum Index   Θ   Bug Reports

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 am      Reply with quote

There is no apparent correlation at all between a character's firearm skill and how good they are at shooting stuff.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:59 am      Reply with quote

There's also no apparent correlation between a character's dexterity and anything actually statistically relevant.

Unless maybe there is. And thus using dex as a dumpstat gimps firearm skill.

On a side note, the perception of this might be because it's ludicrously easy to land good shots on charging mobs. Shots on mobs rooms away are where skill seems to be more relevant.

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:08 am      Reply with quote

Having watched PCs with varying levels of firearm skill for some time now, including no skill at all, the chance to hit really seems altogether random, with some possible influence from dexterity, although it's hard to say for sure.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:15 am      Reply with quote

It seems fairly normal for PCs with no skill to be able to hit autofiring-on-charge shots, they usually seem to fail miserably at distance. PCs with high dex also seem to be able to shoot better than others with higher skill, although supposedly it has no effect. Another component to this might be prowess putting combatants without firearm skills at less of a disadvantage than one would think.

To be fair, if Dex -doesn't- affect anything with ranged weapons it probably -should-. Seeing every single combat character, even the ones that are supposed to be gun-centric, using str/con as primaries and dex as a dumpstat is kind of boring.

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:42 am      Reply with quote

After some consideration and asking around, I would hazard that all the skill checks are actually inverted somehow, such that you do better with a lower gun skill; this matches the trend of PCs with very low firearm skills absolutely destroying stuff, while with higher skills, sometimes even autofire on charge misses.

And, yes, this is happening frequently enough and over a long enough time to be statistically significant.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am      Reply with quote

I haven't really used guns since Atonement but back then there was a noticeable difference to me when I playing gun intensive PCs. The thing is they're mostly used on NPCs these days and it's hard to wait to aim in which makes a large difference. Also, using handguns more then a room away is a no no.

Dexterity is honestly pretty useless beyond13-14 points.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 pm      Reply with quote

How many people's gun skill levels are you privy to out of curiousity?

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:15 pm      Reply with quote

Doesn't matter how many he knows. It's just clear.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:30 pm      Reply with quote

Well, yes it does actually. I'm not argueing against his observation but remarking that there's quite a lot of assumptions being taken.

Harder data is all I want to see. Find out said people's gun skills, their dex, whatever you want to look into and ask them to do some tests shots. It'll be a lot harder evidence than walking in a scav run, watching people shoot under they assumption they have no gun skills when they might actually have some.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 pm      Reply with quote

You know I remember this same thing being brought up back in the day and one of the admins just tested it on the admin port. Holmes could give you stats on the actual difference the skillz make by testing it himself if he wants.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic