Home

Register a new account  
Runs
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Chazz
Cute and Cuddly Coder

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

With progression coming in other areas, I'm sort of going to put those projects on 'break' and look at some other things.

A big part of PRPI has always been runs. So I'd like to get the community input on what could be changed, what should stay the same, etc.

What makes you go on a run? Do you feel obligated? Is that obligation not fun? Do you really enjoy combat, or scavenging for useful items? Is it those 'near death' moments, or the RP?

Obviously there are some deficiencies, after groups scavved one area 300 times, it's probably not fun anymore. I'd like to make things better as best I can codewise to make runs interactive and interesting. So whatever input you have would be appreciated.

Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:14 pm      Reply with quote

I vote for near death. Or all the way. Dance my bees, dance!

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:26 pm      Reply with quote

I loved scavving for a certain type of item on runs, it was kinda like miniature lottery to see what I would turn up. Also ranking highly was the 'danger' in going out. The smaller the group going out the more fun it was for me, the quality of RP seemed higher because everyone was required to RP with everyone in the group instead of splitting into little sections within the group.

In saying that, I'm not a shining paragon of RP on scav trips and I'm sorry. But I have to log in on my phone at work most of the time to be involved in them and it's a bit slow and difficult to emote and make meaningful thinks. I would love if there was a way maybe 3-4 people could go on a scav run so off-peak ones could be held. At the moment I'm also a bit against, "PROBLEM ERUPTS? TAKE OUT BIGGER GROUPS TO OVERPOWER" mindset the vines at the factories have sprung into player's heads. I thought, by the tone of the previous forum topic, we really wanted to get away from this mindset?

Chazz
Cute and Cuddly Coder

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 pm      Reply with quote

The vine thing isn't my doing, so I can't really answer for it.

So would having different areas that could be completed by variously sized groups be a good thing, or something to that effect?

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:18 pm      Reply with quote

Various sized groups would be nice, though it feels like at present you can probably go out safely with 4-5 people. I don't know if that's still 'too many' with the current pbase, though, even if it feels much smaller than groups used to be.

I always thought the Metro was supposed to be the 'small group' sized area, but apparently crocs had a buff in the past that made them more dangerous? And the tunnel structure making packs easy to run into, the darkness, not to mention possible lagatos or tentacle punchers cropping up makes them kind of worthless in a risk vs reward scenario since you have to go so deep to find worthwhile scav.

My other suggestion has to do with gathering elec/mech components, which seem to be the biggest thing that people go looking for aside from fun datasticks. None of the other craftsets really have this big of a bottleneck of scarce resources for crafting. Raw metals/plastics/cloth and organics can all be gathered in the relative safety of the sewers. I don't know if that's something that can be fixed by adjusting the amount of drops from the sources of these or by looking at the crafts themselves, though.

All that said, I'm pretty happy with the changes to mob behavior outside. I feel like I have actual time to RP instead of needing to run around as fast as possible before a lagato comes to suicide charge me. Combat is still enjoyable, and I'm glad that certain types of mobs (beetles, shredders?) don't obey the group size limits on attacking, so there's always the chance you'll find something to stab or bash.

I've heard it bandied about before that it would be nice to have 'rare' things. Either prey-mob spawns, or maybe rare scavenging sites that could pop up. These seem like interesting ideas, but I'd be hesitant to implement them being anything too amazing, since it puts off-peak people at a disadvantage.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:25 am      Reply with quote

My two chips: I think it was pitched wayyy back in the beginning of the game for scavvable random 'nodes' of resources. I think it has merit as far as cutting down on the monotone "sameness" of scavaging. Would also make scouty types viable as someone needs to go out and find where the new "crops" have spawned at. In that same train of thought, scavvable rooms that arent just available to anyone. Rather -require- a certain level of expertise to even attempt to gather from the area. Ive seen non-foragers drag up rare items out of pure luck a few times.

You synchronise a resilient, pink handheld control with a
rubbery screen to a vaguely-humanoid mountain of machinery
Chazz
Cute and Cuddly Coder

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:56 am      Reply with quote

Isn't getting a lucky find a pretty reasonable thing?

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:47 am      Reply with quote

It is. But where is the insentive to pick foraging as a skill when anyone can do it and its one of the easiest skills to break into and level up. Im not saying scrap the way it works and find a new way of doing things. Just some kind of bonus to those who have taken an investment in the skill. Like how theres gatherable items for electronics, engineering and biology. Gatherable nodes that require varying degrees of forage skill.

I hope im communicating this idea right >.o been a long day

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 am      Reply with quote

Well, Kelp is gatherable Razz If you have the scav skill, you get more kelp leaves than someone without the scavenge skill

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:34 am      Reply with quote

Some kind of rare random event within a reasonable distance from the walls could be an incentive that gets people outside quicker and with smaller groups.

For example, a relatively small meteorite can sometimes land within twenty rooms outside from any part of the wall and when it does the guards yell from whatever gate it's closest to. At the same time however, a special kind of mob that eats meteorites emerges from the wasteland. If no one recovers the meteorite fast enough, the animal with eat it and disappear.

The incentive is that the meteorite contains a large amount of random alloys that can be breathed. The danger is that the animal's skin and teath are made of the alloys its eaten, so you may end up fighting one with titon teeth. On the other hand, that's also an incentive since you can harvet the teeth and skin from it, if you kill it.

When the event happens, people will have to decide reasonably quick whether they want to be safe and gather a large group incase the animal is a titon one, before someone else swoops in only to grab the meteorite and run, before the animal eats it, or before someone else takes the risk and gets rewarded fully becaause the animal was alion.

Alternatively, bandits with crude, random-alloyed weapons could be the "animal" to come in and grab it.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic