Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
Reality Check
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic

Poll Question and Results: Why do you not log in anymore?
I do, just not as much because RP sucks 4 votes, 17%
I do, just not as much because the admin/other players suck and don't fix certain things/play the game how I think they should 1 votes, 4%
I do, just not as much because the game is broken 1 votes, 4%
Because the game is broke, RP sucks, and/or I don't like the admin/other players much 10 votes, 43%
I do log in, man, I'm there all the time! 7 votes, 30%
Total Votes : 23
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:24 pm      Reply with quote

Flincher, excuse me, but you haven't played the game in how long?

Somebody care to randomly note the average pbase at peak and off at the moment?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:59 pm      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
Flincher, excuse me, but you haven't played the game in how long?

Somebody care to randomly note the average pbase at peak and off at the moment?

Off-peak's about 0, because the last four times I've logged in I was the only one on. Peak might be about eight.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm      Reply with quote

Roadhawk wrote:
It is this attitude that now does more damage to the game. Fact is, everything but the Dome can be changed by tbe playerbase. If we want a family gone we can do it, the truth of the matter is, we wanted a game, we got one, we broke it and now we want a different one.

The only thing we can not change on our own is scavving. The onoy thing we can not advance is the metaplot.
To actually and legitimately remove a family from existence would require staff intervention to some degree-- We'd need staff to remove that clan from the character application process, and to turn the clanbase into just another building.
We can't expand clan territory, as if there were a reason to do that. We'd need staff to finalize our building projects or otherwise alter room descriptions to reflect our actions.
We can't build houses for ourselves, build up or better the slums, or otherwise effect Rust in a tangible way. We still need staff to finalize our actions for that.
We can't set up a farm for biology herbs out in the wastes. The fact that I'm not 100% sure the items exist in-game anymore aside, we'd need staff intervention when it comes time to fortify the place.
We can't scav, there are OP vines and tentacles in both major wilderness locations and that, apparently, is part of the metaplot. Which by your own admission, we can't advance.

Even if more than one staff member were ever around, and even if they had the authority to alter the gameworld, we presently couldn't advance the wholly nonexistent metaplot because we don't even have the manpower to survive against the most basic mobs.
Even if we had a staff member with the authority to do more than accept character applications and occasionally throw out trippy echos, we presently couldn't do anything because we don't have the manpower to survive the hundreds of scav runs it would take to acquire resources from "depleted" areas.

There are harmful statements, and then there's realism.
The game inherited a lot of coded flaws. One of those flaws that was not inherited, which was put in place by design, was that the playerbase relies on staff action to do just about anything.
We cannot effect the world in any meaningful or lasting way without staff backing. If you seriously believe otherwise, then I have a bridge for sale with your name on it.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:56 pm      Reply with quote

When I started playing, the setup was 'bad things out there' as opposed to 'bad guys next door and btw we're also surrounded by bad guys in the wall'. The Atlas wasn't perfect, sure - but having an enemy where you could cooperate against, some big bad? That was *nice*. I think that, honestly, there's more potential for RP if there's some conflict mechanic outside of the player's control, and there's less hard-code that aligns players with different sides. Because as has been noted a few times, it plays artificially.

My ideal MUD setting for a game like this? 'Humanity Last Stand' kind of deal. One of the biggest gut-punches I ever got was watching a friend get re-animated and have to kill them. Death in the wastes was sort of meh, you'd go missing. And they might find your body, they might not. Or maybe you get ganked in the sewers or die to something stupid - the world was so big, there wasn't connectivity. Give us some rapidly falling apart little enclosure. Instead of working on the hull, let us bring in scrap and build up the walls. No families, no orgs, let that form (and die) organically, with the only real, hard-coded plot being 'going outside is dangerous'. You don't need chips, you don't need an economy - everything can be done with bartering, or simply by letting players figure out how to handle it. Give some common meeting areas (loiter by the gates if you want to run on a scav crew, the one little bar in the whole place, etc.) Reward exploring by having 'luxury' items you can go outside and hunt up - bring back something shiny and you might be able to swap it with an npc for your own little room. Or maybe you haul back a bullet and you can trade just about anyone for anything you want. Maybe I missed something in this big wall of text, but at the core I think that's what sold me so well on ARPI, everything felt like it developed, not I was told it was x. Ramon was in charge because of stuff he had done, not because he rolled in as leader of the Niners. We stayed up at Skyfire not because it was our base and only we could get in, but because RPly we wanted to be by the action. Just a small-sounding thing that, imo, makes a massive difference.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:30 pm      Reply with quote

What really put me off to the game was really the roleplay. I pretty much stopped playing after a bunch of active players argued you should have to go into combat to be a doctoresque PC. Surgery on the fly is acceptable etc etc. That's just one example but I honestly didn't feel like people were going for any sort of realism anymore. I understand playability vs realism but it was 99% playability for awhile.

No one listened to me when we were talking about setting either. I pushed for other settlements and an active humanoid enemy the whole time... but no one thought they were important.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:32 pm      Reply with quote

Lets blame Matt for the game's failure. Who's with me?

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:45 pm      Reply with quote

I'm still waiting on those feral mutants.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:18 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
a bunch of active players argued you should have to go into combat to be a doctoresque PC

The argument at the time was that you were _able_ to go into combat to do doctoresque roleplay, not that you had to.

Matt wrote:
No one listened to me when we were talking about setting either. I pushed for other settlements and an active humanoid enemy the whole time... but no one thought they were important.

Hopefully this will get considered when it comes to however Parallel is rebooted or fixed.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:48 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Matt wrote:
a bunch of active players argued you should have to go into combat to be a doctoresque PC

The argument at the time was that you were _able_ to go into combat to do doctoresque roleplay, not that you had to.

Matt wrote:

Hopefully this will get considered when it comes to however Parallel is rebooted or fixed.

No the argument was 'I have the skill and can do it in combat, if you want to be able to play your PC as a doctor you go into combat too.' So I choose not to play anymore, others choose not to play anymore. That kind of attitude doesn't belong in a RPI. People want some level of realism and when a bunch of active players have no interest in spreading the RP beyond combat and give a big middle finger about it, people go elsewhere.

It's not the admins that have/had to step it up like some people are saying. It's the playerbase, Term and Chazz were killing it adminwise when things really started to decline.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:10 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
grandpa wrote:
Matt wrote:

Matt wrote:

No the argument was 'I have the skill and can do it in combat, if you want to be able to play your PC as a doctor you go into combat too.' So I choose not to play anymore, others choose not to play anymore. That kind of attitude doesn't belong in a RPI. People want some level of realism and when a bunch of active players have no interest in spreading the RP beyond combat and give a big middle finger about it, people go elsewhere.

It's not the admins that have/had to step it up like some people are saying. It's the playerbase, Term and Chazz were killing it adminwise when things really started to decline.

Again, you're strawmanning. The onus was on wounded players to continue to seek out medical RP -after- combat, as many did. If independent medical PCs didn't tend to see that, it's likely because they were just that; independent. They weren't trusted socially and tended to play second fiddle to Family doctors.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Expecting players to do all the work, accusing them of not doing just that, and then being confused when your PC doesn't see droves of people flocking to him is a rather bipolar argument. Building a business is about building a positive reputation, remember.

Re: Term/Chazz, again; you're having your cake and eating it too, Matt. Seeing a single unarmored NPC able to take on a dozen+ PCs with no significant wounds is absolutely beyond the realm of realism. The only thing that was 'tearing up' was suspension of disbelief. Like you said, there wasn't a commitment to realism, but I think your lack of a presence makes you misunderstand where the greatest weight of that lay.

You can't run around holding players to standards of realism when Admins don't hold the same standards as you; at least you can't and pretend admins are sinless. Supercybernetic, unachievably powerful, unarmored NPCs running around trashing multiple skilled combatants isn't what you or I would call 'realism.' Is it bad? That's an individual decision. But at least have the presence of mind to not create doublestandards when you're describing the same damn day, dude.

Page 7 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic