Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
Reality Check
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic

Poll Question and Results: Why do you not log in anymore?
I do, just not as much because RP sucks 4 votes, 17%
I do, just not as much because the admin/other players suck and don't fix certain things/play the game how I think they should 1 votes, 4%
I do, just not as much because the game is broken 1 votes, 4%
Because the game is broke, RP sucks, and/or I don't like the admin/other players much 10 votes, 43%
I do log in, man, I'm there all the time! 7 votes, 30%
Total Votes : 23
Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:42 pm      Reply with quote

There is also the above, bickering replies to comments made. That crushes any unity and comradery we have as a community.

Edit.
I have been guilty of this in the past. I now try not too. Simple!

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:11 pm      Reply with quote

Roadhawk wrote:
There is also the above, bickering replies to comments made. That crushes any unity and comradery we have as a community.

Edit.

It's not bickering to dispel the simple myth of Admin Immunity. Mistakes have been made. That needs to be said, rather than letting people run around making idols of the Absentee Administration.

The game would be far better off if there was any focus on -what is going to be done today-. If any admin spent half their time on doing something _today_, as opposed to the current 90% 'tomorrow' focus, people would actually log in. That's the refrain of this thread; anyone still around _wants something to do_.

There have been problems: that's what this thread is about. Why aren't people logging in? Because there's been _maybe_ one Admin(Hi, Terminobber) in the last four-six months that has done more than half their workload on -today-, and what will be done this day to make the MUD better.

Nobody can improve things because all the 'improvements' are based in a forever-nebulous tomorrow. That was the problem with Parallel when it was founded, and it's remained a constant one ever since.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 pm      Reply with quote

Criticism is good and fine. People are always looking to improve skillss and criticism is an essential part of that, at least in my opinion.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:54 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Roadhawk wrote:

Edit.

It's not bickering to dispel the simple myth of Admin Immunity. Mistakes have been made. That needs to be said, rather than letting people run around making idols of the Absentee Administration.

The game would be far better off if there was any focus on -what is going to be done today-. If any admin spent half their time on doing something _today_, as opposed to the current 90% 'tomorrow' focus, people would actually log in. That's the refrain of this thread; anyone still around _wants something to do_.

There have been problems: that's what this thread is about. Why aren't people logging in? Because there's been _maybe_ one Admin(Hi, Terminobber) in the last four-six months that has done more than half their workload on -today-, and what will be done this day to make the MUD better.

Nobody can improve things because all the 'improvements' are based in a forever-nebulous tomorrow. That was the problem with Parallel when it was founded, and it's remained a constant one ever since.

I think you should staff. Legit. Text Holmes and make it happen. I'd be less at odds with you if you didn't have a PC to bother me Razz and I'm sure you'd get things done.

Bogre
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 pm      Reply with quote

I just don't feel the game is going anywhere.

Atonement was always a mud driven by the story.

With fairly-similar clans and fairly-similar goals it just seems sort of stuck in a rut.

Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:00 pm      Reply with quote

This is a game that a few of us put together in literally two weeks following several attempts at a new, serious game that all faltered because, basically, in the end nobody wanted to do it. When I announced that it was dead, people asked us to just reopen Grungetown so they could play there, and I was going to do that but then Jaunt came and said we weren't allowed to. This was halfway through the process of refurbishing Grungetown and came out of absolutely nowhere, so we had to just come up with something else pretty much on the spot. There was no particular plan beyond slapping together something for people to roleplay in.

Parallel was conceived in a half-hour Skype meeting where the main objective was to figure out what the hell would even make sense to do with the ARPI code and the crafts, objects, mobs and game world from Atonement. The alternative was to just give up and call it quits for good, which I nearly did. We built Rust in a few days and opened the game as soon as our todo list was cleared, most of which consisted of just whatever it took to make the game playable. Any future plans were still entirely theoretical drafts and brainstorms when we opened the game. There wasn't some grand plan that we unscrupulously abandoned, people had simply asked to play in Grungetown again and that was our goal, only we couldn't use any of the same names, stories and characters.

Most of us lost interest after about a month because it was fairly impossible to administrate the game. It was actually quite frustrating to try because watching people play was like watching a swarm of locust devour crops; players just stormed through everything and we had no chance of keeping up. When approaching an RPI that way, it takes an hour to eat up a week's admin work worth of content. The setting wasn't overly new so everybody just played it like a resource-hoarding, skill-maxing, content-clearing mob genocide simulator. When we tried to design a main plot, we were stopped by the problem of the game world being old and now rapidly chewed through. When we tried to remake the game world, we got complaints about there being no plot. So we all quit.

Wilde stuck around and hired some new people. I don't know what they're planning, but I expect they need time to do it. What they should do is ignore PRPI and focus on whatever they're doing, because this was never supposed to be some lasting, original RPI. We initially thought it was worth trying to make it into more than a GT clone, but it turned out to be an exercise in futility. If they're working on something more serious than that, whether a renewed version of Parallel or a new thing altogether, just let them do that in peace. PRPI was what you asked for and hopefully at least a little bit more.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 pm      Reply with quote

+1

Throttle's on point.

Right now I'm basically introducing features I design for playtesting. If they help PRPI climb out of the rut and generate some interest, awesome.

If not, they'll be available, and hopefully tested and approved, with any future project at revitalizing the game.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:03 am      Reply with quote

There was supposedly a whole new wilderness built that just never had mobs set up... why not use that?

Page 8 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic