Home

Register a new account  
Wilderness Weather/Random Event Brainstorming
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:51 pm      Reply with quote

So earlier today, some folks expressed an appreciation of the sort of hostile weather and environmental effects that ARPI had programmed into some of its wildernesses over the years.

I'm loathe to attempt to reimplement old things, that fit better in their settings at the time, but I am game to work on new features with progs.

Specifically, I'm putting some thought into creating a sort of wilderness weather control token system using a similar structure as the spawn changes I'd been working on previously, and setting it up so that staff can easily fine tune which effects are generated and which aren't.

As far as the actual implementation, I have a fair idea as to how I could go about it. The challenging part is finding reasonable sorts of effects these things would have on PCs and the environment that are within the scope of my progging ability.

For example, one such 'effect' could be a random chance of a randomly chosen outside room and all of its surrounding rooms having 'dust storms' which would prevent scanning and reduce visibility.

These sort of things both bring a more tactical element to the game, while also making the atmosphere feel more real, and more dangerous. Granted, most of these sorts of things are unlikely to bring as much to the game as they require upkeep and work. Ideas?

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:13 pm      Reply with quote

Don't just limit yourself to 'bad' effects. Not sure how plausible these things are, but here goes:

Positives:
- Nice breeze, pretty day/whatever: +1 to stamina
- Cold weather: less beetles/lagatos around (they're cold blooded)
- Meteor showers: Ooo, pretty.

Negatives:
- Dust storm, -1 to stamina, low visibility
- Sand storm (RARE): take damage if you try to pass through
- Static field: damage your gear some?
- LESS PRETTY METEOR SHOWERS: Duck!

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:11 am      Reply with quote

Kog stole a lot of the good ones.

Maybe a similar effect to the sandstorm, pockets where the atmosphere is failing? Basically counts as a room where there's smoke and you have to hold your breath.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:51 pm      Reply with quote

Meteor showers would be the funnest shit ever. But they would have to happen within Rust too.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic