Register a new account  
Let's Talk About PK
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:08 am      Reply with quote

Chrjo12 wrote:
The rando pk, which as said above seems to be started by the same people, could prompt interesting rp, but the reactions aren't being handled appropriately. RP is either shut down forcibly by leaders (sorry to point fingers, but only leaders can order an entire faction to rp 'x' way) or by fear of getting superganked.

Tbh, delete guns. Or gold. Make guns a melee weapon. That'd be neat.

I think pure melee would fix a lot of things. Gives gankee time to react, even if they're getting ganked by three people. Having time to flee before getting loaded up with severe and grievous wounds out of nowhere lets people feel at least a little more free to move about Rust instead of getting holed up in their faction base and picking their nose until 3-4 other people show up.

Guns will never be removed. Also it was pointed out to me that ward makes it so you can't flee due to being off-balance. Therefore anyone with high sole-wield can gank with impunity as long as they have ward and can beat you in a melee.

The only difference is, without guns you can't stop sole-wielders from going around dominating the pk part of the mud. Guns are an equalizer.

Chrjo12
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:12 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Guns will never be removed.

Quote the admin please? Reads like a request and not a statement.

You really think guns are equal to sole-wield? Seriously?

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:20 am      Reply with quote

Yourmom knocks you off balance with a sword.

flee
You resolve to escape combat. . .

You run eastward.

YOU FLEE east!

Something something solewield op?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:27 am      Reply with quote

slyviolin wrote:
Can you really judge peoples aversion to this topic only 5 hours after it was initiated Grandpa? Sorry but I think I'll use you as an example to prove my point.

Something of a joke, that ten-foot-pole comment. Not sure how I'm an example, but feel free to use me!

RE: Code, guns aren't the monster anyone claims they are, and they're certainly not what they were in Atonement. I'd prefer magazineless guns only(revolvers/repeaters/singlefire), personally, but that wouldn't matter too much. Nothing's unbeatable.

RE: Clanleads...yeah, it's unfortunate, but when two clans are in conflict, the clanlead's the one the onus falls on. Shit rolls uphill. If clanleads choke roleplay, you can ignore them. You can go out and get beat up and lose anyway.

RE: let's blame only two people. Sorry, again, but no: it's an unfortunate reality that this didn't happen 'out of nowhere,' it happened because the conflict was left as a festering sore rather than turned into something that makes people log on. Lolpk isn't any one or two PCs, because nobody's been coming out of the clanhalls for how long now? The fear, the paranoia, the belief that you're going to be lolpked? It was around a week ago; it was around two, three, a month. It's -been around-, without evidence. Get up and go.

RE: Kog, my apologies; still, I hope you feel better about the game =X.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:01 am      Reply with quote

Headache because of what I've seen so far, I'm not particularly inspired to bother. If I trusted players more, perhaps I'd be willing to do fights, but when everyone's default reaction to a slight is 'KILL THEM ALL', kind of kills my buzz. So, I'm going to probably be sticking more heavily to my game where 'KILL THEM ALL' involves the ones killed waiting 2 minutes to rezz, then going back about their business. Just the way things go.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:52 am      Reply with quote

Some points I've gathered out of this:

1) Grandpa's fairly spot on. It's not just the lolpk people that are really crippling the game. The majority of the MUD is actually being torn between two polarizing populations, one of which ignores and hides from ALL conflict. The other population regularly engages and initiates conflict with minimal or nonexistent RP. Both playstyles are problematic, stagnating, etc.

2) Flincher has no idea what he's talking about. Also. Dual-wield OP.

3) I'm still pretty convinced this is a player community problem, rather than a gameplay problem. Though gameplay certainly doesn't HELP much.

4) Chazz / Viking / I will keep an eye out for abusive PK. If we see it, we'll probably respond with IC/OOC punitive measures as quickly as possible, depending on whether IC consequences or OOC punishment better fits the bill.

5) On a side note, please stop pqual sparring.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:59 am      Reply with quote

It was adamblue8000 who told me that ward made it impossible to flee. I'm actually very happy this is not the case. Even more happy that he was wrong.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:07 pm      Reply with quote

1) And I'm happy you're wrong despite me trolling with the truth once again, so the cycle continues.

2) It's a matter of risk vs rewards, @Crayon. To steal something someone from a different forum I read said, the opportunity cost of something being too high makes it not really an option. If I have 2 choices, one of which is to risk my character - one that I have obviously invested time/effort in, and it's immediately coded to death with no real RP/frustratingly bad RP, that's a net loss for both me and the game. Nobody wins, except maybe that 1 singular player. It's not arrogant to say that the game suffers for the loss of my pc, because it DOES - for any PC with a presence/role at all, there's a loss. The frustrating truth is, at the moment, the opportunity cost of playing out conflict is too high to make it 'worth it' for all but the most masochistic of us. And, for me at least, that chance is too high for me to bother with except against people I trust as players- most of those being people I don't have any IC reason to conflict with.

ShoSH
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 pm      Reply with quote

I would like to point out that I was already having issues with my concept and playing the game, but now with random PK running around?

I find myself staring at a family base and idling myself until I just log out.

I really don't want to play in an environment where a character I have poured months and months into is going to be PKd by some random one hour old character bent on causing "conflict". I really don't.

I feel like right now social characters have been tossed aside and there really is nothing safe for me to do outside of my family base, which sucks horribly. I can't even do what my character is supposed to do anymore because you are able to willy nilly run into family owned establishments and "rob" them without any real consequences and those aren't safe either.

I feel at a loss for what to do, really, beyond quit.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel like right now social characters have been tossed aside and there really is nothing safe for me to do outside of my family base, which sucks horribly. I can't even do what my character is supposed to do anymore because you are able to willy nilly run into family owned establishments and "rob" them without any real consequences and those aren't safe either.

This right here is where the MUD has been taken out behind the woodshed and beat silly. There's no game anymore when someone does something like poke his head into enemy turf, and the response is full and complete murder of the first thing you can get your hands on. No wonder people freak out and stop playing; -really-? The first option wasn't to go rough a guy up, or rob them back? It was draw fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire? Good lord. Shame. Shame shame shame shame shame.

Quote:
I really don't want to play in an environment where a character I have poured months and months into is going to be PKd by some random one hour old character bent on causing "conflict". I really don't.

ShoSH wrote:
I would like to point out that I was already having issues with my concept and playing the game, but now with random PK running around?

That said, this isn't happening; what is happening is people overreacting to dumb overreactions and then everyone decides to overreact harder than anyone else. Then nobody goes out of their clanhalls because OH MY GOD TWELVE PCs WERE MURDERED.

People. C'mon. -Guys-. How many people were killed in this recent MONTH-LONG clan conflict? -One-. One single PC that -chose- a path that inevitably led to death. One single PC died. That's it. We can all relax and quit overreacting. And we can maybe take a deep breath, and try and add something to the gameworld that we're complaining about.

Quote:
I find myself staring at a family base and idling myself until I just log out...I feel at a loss for what to do, really, beyond quit.

You can always do something; step one involves stepping out into the gameworld. I'm not trying to be snarky, but...sitting in the clanhall, even if you interact with your clan, just doesn't add anything to the world as a whole. It makes you a negative influence; your -gravity- sucks others into sitting in the clanhall, and then we're playing four different MUDs, not one. Go out. Be positive.

As-is, you're the other half of the coin that killed this MUD once: the one that sits around. Your PCs need to be Venn diagrams; they need to be Venn diagrams with -every PC in the game-. You need to intersect, bleed over, -know other beings-. People need to stop logging in, ignoring the two PCs sitting in the Boozer, and logging out. People need to stop idling in the Boozer when there's three other people there. People need to go out of their way to -make- roleplay. People need to add, people need to _multiply_. As-is, Parallel just shoved it's head above the water to gasp and gargle before drifting back under to sink to the bottom.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Page 2 of 5   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic