Home

Register a new account  
How did you get into RP/RPIs?
Forum Index   Θ   OOC Chatter

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:12 am      Reply with quote

I started playing MUDs about. five or six years back. Starting young, I've kind of grown up with the particular style of gaming ever since then. I actually started on Avalon ( A Pay-To-Play Hack'n'Slash/PVP MUD) and enjoyed the shit out of it until I couldn't convince my Mother to renew the subscription (I learned shortly thereafter that paying to play a MUD was kind of exceptionally dumb).

I wandered about for a while at another MUD that kept my attention off and on for the next year or two, but it never quite held the level of roleplay I'd wanted. So, from there I started looking for something else. Eventually I stumbled upon SOI and played it for a while, though I never really made much of myself there.

After a break from the game, I eventually went back SOI to find it closed, and in it's absence I stumbled across Atonement. A few minor characters came and went and now I'm here.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 am      Reply with quote

I started playing muds back in 96/97 when I was seventeen/eighteen. I didn't have my own computer, so I'd go to the library and use their search computers. I'd figured out a way to access the telnet client. I carried around a piece of paper with mud addresses and port numbers on them.

I started out on a generic, but slightly funny mud called Bad Trip. I was pretty hooked on the h/s cause I could log in and play without too much hassle. I didn't know about RPI's. I did try Armageddon back in 98 or 99, but I was completely unused to that sort of experience and the lack of color after coming from psychedelic h/s games kind of threw me off and their emote system was weird to someone who was used to only using socials and junk, plus I could never find anyone. So I went back to my hackin and slashin. Well, my life after leaving home was pretty messed up, no need to elaborate, but I moved around a lot and didn't always have access to a computer, so I had to rely on library computers and didn't really have the stable atmosphere to dedicate to any game.

I finally did settle onto a game though once my life shaped up and I was in a stable environment. The game was based on one of my favorite book series, Wheel of Time, called WotMud. While the game was hack n slash, there were more elements of actual roleplay than I'd seen anywhere else. I got hooked and had a fun, established character. I realized I wanted more and so I think I found atonement in a random search for more roleplaying enforced muds. I had always been hesitant at having to submit an app for a character, but I was willing to try it. My very first Atonement char and, very first Role Playing Character was supposed to be a throw away, but he ended up lasting up until two weeks before the finale of Alpha. I regret not fleshing him out more and not playing him as often. I only had access to a computer at my school's computer lab (I'd gone back to college) or whenever my crappy laptop could pick up a wireless signal, and so I missed out on some of his earlier development. Towards the end I had a better laptop and a permanent internet connection at my place, which I think shows in his more frequent attendance at that time.

I think I'm one of the very few who was introduced to SoI through Atonement, instead of the other way around and from there I gave Arm another chance, and because of my new experience with the genre, I was able to play it with a better perspective.

I find it hard to play any game that isn't Roleplay enforced now and games without permadeath seem silly to me now. I thank the heavens I found Atonement, and I can't wait to see how Parallel will add to my love of this genre.

This was probably a more in-depth answer than was really asked for, but I tend to ramble if not smacked on the nose. Razz

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:56 am      Reply with quote

Like the uber geek that I am, I fell in love with the idea of tabletop when I was about 10 or so and read a book (wish I could remember what it was called!) about some gamers.

I genuinely don't remember how I actually started playing, but as I lived in the depths of the English countryside, miles away from civilisation, I played online. I used to play in World Of Darkness chats, then MUDs, starting with Discworld (which isn't role play based but I managed it with a little group of friends) and some free form stuff. I finally got to play tabletop when I was about 16 but didn't get into it seriously until 5 or so years ago. Now I have 2 groups and play twice a week.

After some nostalgic MUD playing last summer, I started at the top of the list on TMS and worked my way down, looking for a good role play based MUD but all of them failed to hold my attention until I found Atonement, which had my hooked from day one. When it ended, I figured I had to do something with all my suddenly free time so began to endlessly pester Viking about Parallel.

I actually tried a bunch of other games and even a few MUX type things (don't judge!) out of desperation but couldn't get into any of them so I gave up. This is probably for the best as it means all my free time goes into the game!

I seriously cannot wait for Parallel.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:17 am      Reply with quote

I'm playing SInDome while waiting for Parallel. The commands are confusing, the help files are nonexistent, and it's difficult to find someone to roleplay with. But, once you get use to everything, it's pretty fun. And it's easier to RP after you meet and do that with someone for the first time, because they usually stop to interact if they know you.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 pm      Reply with quote

I started playing Aardwolf when I was thirteen, things kind of progressed from there.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:14 am      Reply with quote

One of my better friend's boyfriend was an admin on a teeny game called EV. She wanted to play with me and introduced it to me and named my first character (something like 85 percent of my pcs ever were named by her). I enjoyed EV and dabbled every once and awhile on Harshlands. When EV closed, I settled on Harshlands earnestly after a four year break. There was this guy on HL that I wasn't fond of (understatement) and one night when I'd had a few too many wine coolers, a friend told me he played on this game Atonement and I could pk him there because it happened a lot. Drunkenly, I made a pc. In the morning, I'd lost my bloodlust and was accepted. I heard later that he died to something stupid anyway Very Happy

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:47 am      Reply with quote

Well, I progressed from a young LotR fan. Started my real first RP experience on a server in Neverwinter Nights called Return of Middle Earth. Looking back now I was horrid at RP but it sparked my interest. My brother introduced me to MUDs after that, playing on another middle-earth MUD called MUME which I had played for a couple years on and off, never really got too hard into it. After my WoW phase my brother showed me this new MUD he found called SOI which was an RPI and said I should try it out. I did and fell in love with RPI then and there.

Being a long time LotR fan and being able to immerse myself into a game like that was really astounding to me and I progressed slowly albeit to learn more and more of what an RPI is. My brother, of course, dropped from the game about a week after he had found it. I however played for a few years until shortly after exodus when Atonement just started Beta. I had heard that most of the people from SOI left to go there and wanted to check it out myself. So I checked it out and it I fell in love with RPI even more. The lack of an apparent good vs. evil was a refreshing change to me, along with more human-like characters in the game. Eventually i dropped SOI altogether and bam here I am.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:34 pm      Reply with quote

When I was in middle school or so, I was an AVID fan of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I knew everything you might want to know about RandLand. That eventually led me into forum-based roleplaying, with a brief dalliance toward the Eragon series and then many years and numerous characters with a group of about 20 people across two forums dedicated toward the Wheel of Time.

I also browsed flash games as a method for procrastinating from homework, and one day the IRE Client was submitted to a website called Kongregate. I thought it was new and interesting, and the very defined struggle between good and evil that Aetolia held really caught my eye, so I started playing there. I met some simply stellar people there were phenomenal to play with, enjoyed kicking up a fuss against hard-line folks like Edhain in arguments that devolved to RPK, and generally had a blast writing a system and getting involved. However, with the exception of great scenes with some people, the actual RP in the world was severely lacking.

So, after a few different things made me take a step away from Aetolia, and with some browsing of MUDConnect and TMS, I ended up on SoI. I had a great time there, and my very first PC was ridiculously lucky and survived all of my attempts to learn the game experientially. I shrugged off the ardors of dealing with Holmes in that game, and eventually, when there was a fuss about a game called Atonement opening for BETA, I decided to make a character and join in on the action. Then I got into building, and then I got into crafting, and so on and so forth!

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:54 pm      Reply with quote

In 2010 Laz had ear surgery and was laid up in bed for a while, and then he found SoI.

And I was like, "Why do you keep ignoring me for that weird word game? Why do you hiss in sunlight now?"

And then he told me to play, and I said no, and then he asked me again a few months later, and I was like "lol whatever but I won't like it" and he registered me. Six months later I was a running a clan and hissing in sunlight too.

And here I am.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:18 pm      Reply with quote

sssssssssssss

Page 2 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic