Home

Register a new account  
How did you get into RP/RPIs?
Forum Index   Θ   OOC Chatter

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:02 am      Reply with quote

I got started when my parents banned me from playing video games. Like the clever kid I was at the tender age of 14, I thought this didn't apply to text-based games - how would they tell anyway that I was playing anything at all? They were familiar with graphical games like Warcraft III or Counter-Strike. I had seen my brother play this weird thing called MUDs, so I decided to google that. Lo and behold, I started playing Carrion Fields briefly. I was shy though, and didn't know squat about RPing/the combat system, so I was brutally PKed over and over again.

It didn't jive with me, so I started looking for other MUDs. That's when I found SOI, and I played that off and on for the next two years. I got into ElendorMUSH because of a SOI friend, then got into a make-the-prequels-how-they-should've-been SW MUSH called Dark Horizons. I admined there for two years. It was then that I heard about Atonement, and the rest is really history.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:36 am      Reply with quote

about 15 years ago I had played a couple tabletops with a group of friends. But as I moved to a different country I found that there was nobody around me that actually liked playing the games. So my quest to find games like it continued. Back then, they had something called msn gaming zone, it was a little slice of heaven when I got bored because I loved to play things like chess against people. Anyway, there was this game called Hercules and Xena and being an avid fan of the television show (despite how corny it was) I decided to try it out for a month (as you did have to pay a monthyl sub and still do to this day) So I was plunged in the world of centaurs and greek gods, having to please them and all sorts of mythological stuff. Then before i even realized, my moth was up. So I played Gemstone, walking the snowy trails of icemule trace, killing skeletons and joining in with the songs sung by these bards in the tavern. That month went up. Dragonrealms was next and despite what it is now, back theren there were just about 5000 people on average and everyone stayed in character, From the halfling who had so much fluff on him that he'd often fall over and get run over by caravans passing by (back then people actually stopped to help you) to the groups of Rakash that would take you deep out into the woods and make a camp fire, telling you and the rest of the pups about their history while leathers were being made. I remember asking mum for her credit card back then to subscribe. I played it for about a year and a half until I had to put it on hiatus due to financial reasons. So what was a boy meant to do? His homework? Nah, instead I looked up text based games and I found, batmud, then aardwolf, I had to try them all or so I thought. Aarchon, then there was all the vampire the masquerade god wars types, with their enforced roleplays, the swr's like clone wars ressurection, awake 2060, thunderdome, final fantasy mushes, dragonball muds you get the general idea. The longest time I spent on a game was probably three years playing legend of the jedi and coremud on and off. I played Harshlands and FeMUD which was my first taste of RPI, then I dabbled around in SoI, I tried armageddon also but could never get into it. I just don't know, I've also played video games from final fantasy to world of warcraft but the graphic games don't have freedom. It's always going to be the same predetermined outcome. I took a break from text based games because unfortunately, after all the years of playing I know my likes and dislikes. I love science fiction, but I love the involvement of plots and I'm not all too fond of grinding (unless it is in a fun way. like a group of people go out and they have fun with it rather that, do this input command, then go back and afk for an hour or whatever) But I'm anticipatinng the opening of this rpi, having mudconnected for RPI and finally landing here. I might get hooked, I might not but if not, II may just end up sucking in a breath, closing my eyes really tight and praying that if I walk into furryspace, it won't be as bad as I'm imagining it to be. Til then I'll avoid it (despite my love for anthro stuff (Somehow I see those mushes to be no more than a place for weird, perverted old guys to play their hermaphrodite squirrels while jerking off to the rhythym Oprah makes every time she asks a question)

/story

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 am      Reply with quote

I can assure you, the only furry things you'll see will try to eat you, and not in the fun way.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 am      Reply with quote

I had never played any MUDS before Atonement, but I had always liked RP'ing in what games came before that. Atonement was badass, but now it's gone, so here I am. I've tried some of the other games on that topmud site, but none of them really cut it for me.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:34 am      Reply with quote

Nedinu wrote:
I can assure you, the only furry things you'll see will try to eat you, and not in the fun way.

lol, some of the muties from Atonement were kind of furryish actually, but I don't think there will be any mutants in this universe...

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 am      Reply with quote

You're right about that part. I suppose the only thing now that can be furryish is if people start making F-ME cyborgs with ridiculous cybernetics, like an vaccum-powered trachea or something XD

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah, but the horror of it malfunctioning at the wrong time might throw some off... Razz.../derail

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:47 pm      Reply with quote

I started with Gemstone 3 back in 95 and graduated to other games.
I've taken quite a bit of time off since my last mudding experience and I heard through an old, hella old friend from previous games about this place. So here I am, wondering if this will be my excuse to become re-involved.

Did I mention that I've table topped since the early 90s and run 2 groups of my own? RPing is in my blood as is acting. I hope to be impressed here and immersed into something truly epic.

Cheers.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 am      Reply with quote

I had a girlfriend at the tender age of 12 that introduced me to MUDS. The first was Fiery Mud, back in 1999. I think my greatest achievement there was reaching level 5. I hated it because there were almost no players at the time. I found a new mud called Feudal Realms. I played that for years, with others on and off, but to date it was the only hack and slash mud I've ever seen that had such a huge amount of RP in it. From there I discovered Harshlands, which never caught my interest, but it pointed me to Shadows of Isildur during its first year of opening. I played that for years before discovering Atonement. And then I lost access to the internet for a very long time due to bad personal situations and a broken computer and came back and discovered it was gone. C'est la vie.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:10 pm      Reply with quote

I played Warhammer when I was younger, and I was searching for 'Eldar' online. On page 9 or something of Altavista, I clicked on a link that led to the Eldar Clan page of Ancient Anguish, a neat little hack and slash. I figured out it was a game, and started, and wasted way too much formative time on it.

I eventually progressed to Dark and Shattered Lands, a Krynn-based RPish hack and slash. I was looking for other muds when I saw permadeath featured on TMS for Armageddon- and the rest is history. Played SoI, and one of my RPI friends must have told me about Atonement, which I got into in late-alpha.

Page 3 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic