Forum Index   Θ   OOC Chatter

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:52 pm      Reply with quote

Zerero wrote:
Matt wrote:
Zerero wrote:
All of my Armageddon characters are generic.

You're generic.

no u

your face is generic

Shy
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:58 am      Reply with quote

After seeing the first LOTR movie, I became obsessed with everything LOTR. I found a mush called 'Elendor' and created a little hobbit named Ivy Boffin. (No, she was NOT a little hobbit strip-club dancer!)

I then found MUDS and played Aetolia mostly. The RP experience got messed up when chars started jumping back and forth between the two opposing factions in the game - Undead vs Living. How is it that your favorite bad a$$ vampire gets cured, becomes ruler of a 'Living' city, then goes suddenly tree-hugger and rules the forest? After vowing upon extinction of their very soul to be loyal to whatever? It...irk. That would be like James Morrow becoming a Niner. Suddenly, chars weren't chars anymore, but players who got bored and wanted to try something else. Bleh.

So, enough for my rant. Thank you for creating this shared, creative experience. So far - the rp is rich and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Feawen
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:27 am      Reply with quote

I used to write stories for a Nintendo Power forum, back when I was like 12. Started to move on towards RPing, when someone who also hung around there invited me to an RP board. Did a lot of free-style collaborative RPing with a small group of friends, and would occasionally switch partners according to who I found online in my groups.

Eventually, when Lord of the Rings came into theaters I remembered it from when I was a kid. So, I fell back in love with it - and decided to look for a LotR game. At first I played MUME, then tried out Elendor and had an elf there and an angry hobbit.

Eventually, I found SOI and decided to keep playing it, since there was more going on than on Elendor. A friend from there got me involved in World of Darkness stuff, and later on someone else got me into Atonement.

Tried out a LARP IRL, didn't really like it, but got into a tabletopping club at the university.

MadHatter
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:45 pm      Reply with quote

This is mine...

Madhatter wrote:
I started playing muds back in 96/97 when I was seventeen/eighteen. I didn't have my own computer, so I'd go to the library and use their search computers. I'd figured out a way to access the telnet client. I carried around a piece of paper with mud addresses and port numbers on them.

I started out on a generic, but slightly funny mud called Bad Trip. I was pretty hooked on the h/s cause I could log in and play without too much hassle. I didn't know about RPI's. I did try Armageddon back in 98 or 99, but I was completely unused to that sort of experience and the lack of color after coming from psychedelic h/s games kind of threw me off and their emote system was weird to someone who was used to only using socials and junk, plus I could never find anyone. So I went back to my hackin and slashin. Well, my life after leaving home was pretty messed up, no need to elaborate, but I moved around a lot and didn't always have access to a computer, so I had to rely on library computers and didn't really have the stable atmosphere to dedicate to any game.

I finally did settle onto a game though once my life shaped up and I was in a stable environment. The game was based on one of my favorite book series, Wheel of Time, called WotMud. While the game was hack n slash, there were more elements of actual roleplay than I'd seen anywhere else. I got hooked and had a fun, established character. I realized I wanted more and so I think I found atonement in a random search for more roleplaying enforced muds. I had always been hesitant at having to submit an app for a character, but I was willing to try it. My very first Atonement char and, very first Role Playing Character was supposed to be a throw away, but he ended up lasting up until two weeks before the finale of Alpha. I regret not fleshing him out more and not playing him as often. I only had access to a computer at my school's computer lab (I'd gone back to college) or whenever my crappy laptop could pick up a wireless signal, and so I missed out on some of his earlier development. Towards the end I had a better laptop and a permanent internet connection at my place, which I think shows in his more frequent attendance at that time.

I think I'm one of the very few who was introduced to SoI through Atonement, instead of the other way around and from there I gave Arm another chance, and because of my new experience with the genre, I was able to play it with a better perspective.

I find it hard to play any game that isn't Roleplay enforced now and games without permadeath seem silly to me. I thank the heavens I found Atonement, and I can't wait to see how Parallel will add to my love of this genre.

This was probably a more in-depth answer than was really asked for, but I tend to ramble if not smacked on the nose. Razz

The Mad Hatter: There is a place. Like no place on

Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger!

Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter.

[picks up his hat]

The Mad Hatter: Which luckily I am.
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 pm      Reply with quote

well...Several years ago, when SOI was still a pretty big thing in the RPI world, I was talked by a friend into trying it out, give MUDding a try. We met up in the streets of TE (back when that was around) and we..well, we rocked. As slave-soldiers, the two of us became amazing people, tearing through enemies like butter and making the Talon Fahad a -big- deal in the community for a bit. He betrayed, he loved, he lost, and in the end, died fighting off three people at once and killing one of them, wounding the others. He was, and still is, probably my favorite character.

But I couldn't have done it without my friend. He showed me the ropes, helped me learn how to emote and be thorough and interesting in my playstyle. He was there with me that whole damn time, us two lonely grunts vs. the world. I thank him for that.

...You know him as Grandpa.

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote

I had a best friend who lived across a park from me as a kid. We played so much pretend in that park. Then I moved, and I think I was probably feeling pretty isolated. I'd share computer-time with my sister playing Everquest, then it was sort of a downwards hill from there.

I've since explored a number of different venues for chasing that ultimate immersive, collaborative story, with a game and mechanics which don't get in the way, but provide an avenue for the stories. I did mushes and boards but I pretty much loathe systems where people aren't checked for power, and equally, I don't really like games where people live in unique little holes where there's no dynamic threat of having to interact with story elements and players outside of themselves. So, it sort of eliminates MUSHes, forum/play-by-posts for me.

I've played MMOs, because I love visualization, but have never had a decent experience trying to roleplay in them. When it comes down to it I sort of blow at the mechanics side of RPIs but I'd rather have real danger, concrete spaces and mechanics to make people put their money where their mouths are than play in a world where power and ability is just how much people claim it is, and never have to be called out on it if they so choose.

I played interactive fiction, then MUDs, then found the RPI system very late in my geekery. Now it's sort of the main body of my hobby when I have the time.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:19 pm      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
well...Several years ago, when SOI was still a pretty big thing in the RPI world, I was talked by a friend into trying it out, give MUDding a try. We met up in the streets of TE (back when that was around) and we..well, we rocked. As slave-soldiers, the two of us became amazing people, tearing through enemies like butter and making the Talon Fahad a -big- deal in the community for a bit. He betrayed, he loved, he lost, and in the end, died fighting off three people at once and killing one of them, wounding the others. He was, and still is, probably my favorite character.

But I couldn't have done it without my friend. He showed me the ropes, helped me learn how to emote and be thorough and interesting in my playstyle. He was there with me that whole damn time, us two lonely grunts vs. the world. I thank him for that.

I'm pretty sure our first scene was my character half-mugging, half-tricking our character out of chips. I've graduated from abusing newbies.

Mostly.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
ashofphoenix
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:57 pm      Reply with quote

I was bribed.. with sex...

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:32 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
padweld999 wrote:

I'm pretty sure our first scene was my character half-mugging, half-tricking our character out of chips. I've graduated from abusing newbies.

Mostly.

yes, you did...Poor Ethor.

Everlong
Registered

King Everlong

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:52 am      Reply with quote

A bunch of jerks from the MUD I frequent came here, so I figured what the hell.

Page 5 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic