Home

Register a new account  
How did you get into RP/RPIs?
Forum Index   Θ   OOC Chatter

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:08 am      Reply with quote

I needed gaming that was free and manageable on weak processor hand-me-down computers.

I dabbled with BBS RP'ing at a tender age in the days of Prodigy when emails still cost money (I learned that the hard way Razz), but got my real start on mudding much later when a cousin introduced me to Gemstone 3 on AOL.

Gemstone 3 and Dragonrealms rocked, and accounted for more than a few AOL time allotment overages until Simutronics left AOL for the greener pastures of the WWW. (Something new and unheard of to me at that time)

Unwilling (and unable) to pay for Dragonrealms on the web, mudding ceased and was forgotten.

Fastforward a ways, and I stumbled on mudding again when looking for a game I'd played in the past (spiderweb's exile series) and instead found a mud with a similar name.

Exile was brief, but it led me to A Moment in Tyme, where I fell in love with RPing. Some of my best rp experiences happened there, I met some epic friends (two that I still keep in touch with narly 15 years later) lead a clan, admined events and even took a spell as lead builder (no one else wanted the job).

That kept me busy through most of high school, but by college Tyme was falling apart from player-wipes, timeline resets and a half-complete combat system re-write (only the erase part was ever completed).

While searching for code-bases, I found SOI just before the fall of the garrison. What was meant to be an exploratory character got me quickly hooked. Taking part in the garrison and it's fall was phenomenal enough to keep me on that mud (most notably on the Gondor military side) until college ended and RL stole my reliable gaming time.

Been a few other places along the journey, including a short stint on Atonement during the atlas/salvation era as a crazy old drunk (a favorite archetype of mine) killed in a hilarious sexcapade, but nowhere that I'd really consider home besides Tyme and SOI.

Since SOI I've usually been fiddling offline and on occasion online with a love of game mechanics and design ideas. One day I might try to open my own mud, but I don't reckon that'll be anytime in the next thirty years.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:06 pm      Reply with quote

Reminds me, I need to check SOI to see if they're allowing new members yet. Sindome loses its appeal after so long and mostly just becomes a chat room, at least for me. So, I need something else to play.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:52 pm      Reply with quote

Well, looks like the new SOI's still in closed beta. Ah well. Sad

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:24 am      Reply with quote

Yeah. I tried going back, but it was so empty.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm      Reply with quote

My own introduction to MUDs, RP, and eventually RPI MUDs started suddenly and then progressed rather linearly.

It was five years ago, I was thirteen and looking to get out of my comfort zone genre-wise (historical fiction, High and Low Fantasy, and Science Fiction being my areas of reading) and so I decided to try to mystery genre a bit. That's how stumbled upon Jeffery Deaver's "the Blue Nowhere". (Here's a link to a site with some more information, though a simple Google search would do just as well)

Typical of Jeffery Deaver (he wrote the Bone Collector) it was something like a police procedural /thriller novel, but with a twist; the Good Guys were comprised of IT cops and a reformed "wizard" hacker. The Bad Guy, a deranged Hacker (really he's a Cracker, but that's a debate for another post) who was living out a killing fantasy structured around the PK rules of a MUD. The Hacker is written to be a master of Social Engineering, and combined with the "Hacker" skills he possess (he's a near genius... operating word being "near"; this is what ratchets up the conflict between him and the Good Guy "wizard" hacker), he is an invisible Killer.

Anyways, lets say that unlike other people, I wasn't put off by the technical jargon at all (rather, I loved it because I was starting to get into computers and the Internet back then) and by the time i finished the book I wanted to a play a "MUD" too.

From there, me and my then-spiffy Intel Celeron (which I still have) telneted into all the Muds we could find. I started with fairly generic Hack and Slash types (I can't recall that many names now) and I played as much as I could (I had a Modem connection and the house alarm was tied to the line so I couldn't use it after hours when the alarm was set.. usually at 7pm). After a year or so I dropped Mudding. Then, two years ago I picked it back up.

That's when I got tired of H&S types. I liked the combat but I needed a story, not just mindless grinding. I found some RP Encouraged Muds (I dropped most of the ones I found and just stuck to AArdwolf, WoTMUD and a Turn of the Wheel). Then even RP encouraged was too little.

The circumstances in RP encouraged MUDs weren't enough; not many people interested in a solidi story to RP within, leveling that required grinding, non-perm death combat which made RP silly (dying and just coming back made RP for anything rather pointless, because in RL,barring any religious beliefs, you just die).

This is what led to RPIs (The Inquisition, Rusted Promise, Dark & Shattered Lands). I still play some I've listed, but I am still looking for something more. I was excited to try Atonement and SOI (but Atonement ended and SOI isn currently closed to new players).

In fact, that's why I am here, I am looking for something satisfying; a strong story, meaninful interactions, combat with Something At Stake,

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 pm      Reply with quote

When I was 10-14 I played a lot of MUDs, rarely ever progressing past the newb area before burning out. I played The Eternal City(forced off when Skotos bought it), Redwall MUSH(in a classic example of a dodged bullet, the entire point of that game went over my head), applied to Armageddon but got rejected because my character was too generic, and I think the last one I played before quitting MUDs altogether was one of those terrible Iron Realms ones.

I found out about Atonement on an unrelated video game forum about six years later.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am      Reply with quote

Armeggedon will let a generic person slide if you say that you're a new player and want to get use to the game. Worked for me the first time.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:33 pm      Reply with quote

All of my Armageddon characters are generic.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:16 pm      Reply with quote

Zerero wrote:

You're generic.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:45 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Zerero wrote:

You're generic.

no u

Page 4 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic