Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
The Roleplaying Thread That Won't Devolve Into Policing
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:03 pm      Reply with quote

DO add as much detail as you want to your descriptions and dmotes. Yeah, some might not read them, but those who do are able to build up a very clear mental picture.

Bones
Registered

Horsecorn

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 am      Reply with quote

DO do that voodo that you do so well.

Kalopsios
Registered

Summer Intern

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 am      Reply with quote

This is more admin level stuff, but also applies to players, especially when you're moving a lot of others at once, such as leading a non-staff RPT. Also, the opinions expressed here aren't rules that'll be enforced by staff, nor do they reflect the opinions of other staff members or Parallel as a whole.

Firstly, be respectful to other players at all times. The most common way I find people disregard respect is through emote snarkiness. The people who do it know exactly what I'm talking about: someone else does something you think is stupid so you indirectly call it out through an emote. When people make a mistake, don't be a dick about pointing it out or clarifying the error. And if the other person is totally disregarding the situation and actually being stupid, that's not the way to handle their action. Being snarky just pisses everyone else off.

I consider my other point an extension of respect: play off the input of other characters in a way that acknowledges it, advances the conversation or action, and provides hooks to allow the other character to do the same.

To help you do that, never say no to a player. That doesn't mean make your character Jim Carrey from Yes Man; you can still say no to characters. This applies more on the meta-level: player-to-player interaction instead of character-to-character interaction. What it does mean, then? Try not to shut down or block another player when their character talks or emotes something contrary to what you expect or want. It can be unnecessarily antagonistic and ruin fun, and since having fun is the entire point of everyone playing, ruining it is cardinal sin number one.

(Some of you might recognize the similarities between the above and the "Yes, and.../No, but..." Rule from improvisational acting.)

There are exceptions, of course. The above mindset necessitates common sense, rationality, the desire to role-play, and the aforementioned respectfulness to be qualities shared by everyone involved. Discerning the first two might be hard to do; in fact, it will be more often than not, but that's why there's code and a staff of beings with god-like powers who can help determine what's reasonable for you.

Yet even we can't confirm the desire to role-play for everyone in a setting, so it might have to be something that's simply assumed, which isn't too terrible of a thing to do considering what kind of MUD Parallel is (hint: look at the three letters which follow "parallel" in our site's URL). On top of that, there are rewards for players who consistently prove themselves as role-players; the incentive of RPP can push the most hardcore twinks to role-play.

And even if the last quality, respect, might be just as hard to determine, that's something staff can and isn't afraid to help with. If you feel another player (not character, but player) is being legitimately disrespectful towards you, get in touch with staff.

In fact, it's one of the things that can make or break an improv performance; it helps keep action flowing and everyone contributing. Principles from improv theory translate well to role-playing because they're very much the same thing at times.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 pm      Reply with quote

Can I just point out that magically knowing the exact weight that you're carrying because it's in your score is kind of silly?

Oh, I can? Good. Because I am.

Shy
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm      Reply with quote

I wanted to say thanks for making this thread! I'm new to Parallel and haven't played an RPI in years. Learning to navigate and immerse in the world of Rust has been a fun challenge!

A special thanks to everyone in the New Guard who has patiently put up with my char as /I/ get things (syntax, and the feel of Rust) figured out!

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm      Reply with quote

Keep it civil.

Only I'm allowed to police.

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:21 pm      Reply with quote

I'll admit to walking past people. Sometimes I'm super distracted IRL and have one thing I want to check before I have to log off, like the boards or something. I'm sorry if I've done it to you, Roadhawk. I'm a hypocrite in that speedwalking makes me bummed as well.

Page 3 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic