Home

Register a new account  
Distraction
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:37 am      Reply with quote

Tough one, because how can you know what's making them slow?

Absolutely, intensive multi-tasking is hugely inconsiderate. When I'm logged in I want to be immersed as possible, so even chatting or other low-intensity distractions tend to be very detrimental to my RP.

But.

Some of my favorite people to RP with just like to take a while to think about what they're going to say in an emote, and that I have no problem with. Thinking is generally good.

I kind of hate that there is this imperative to be terribly fast all the time, because I also like to think. I think at least some room to consider one's response or wording or whatever contributes positively to RP.

And even if it is distraction, how do you know it's internet multi-tasking and not unavoidable RL stuff? Should people with kids be barred from playing? Cool

Dunno. If people's responses are inappropriate or don't take into account things that have happened, okay, that's a legitimate complaint. But seriously, what's the rush?

I would prefer not to.
starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:34 pm      Reply with quote

I guess the issue I take is not having any idea what's going on. A lot of people are really good about making an OOC note that something is going on -- kids, poor internet connection, stuff at home, whatever. If someone lets me know something like that is in the mix, then I mind the wait a lot less. I don't need to be in a hurry, I don't mind waiting five minutes or so for an emote, but when a person makes me wait ten and it's obvious the response isn't even a particularly well-thought-out one, I get annoyed and just assume they aren't valuing the interaction. Maybe it's my problem!

Bogre
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote

I narc out sometimes.

A lot.

Guts
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 pm      Reply with quote

I do often take the time to think about what i'm writing and how i'm writing it as I have a tendency to get redundant. Also before scavs I zone out as I like to make sure I smoke and go to the bathroom and whatnot so i don't miss out on all the fun and have to play catch-up with a wall of text

WorkerDrone
Registered

Duke Attitude

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:42 am      Reply with quote

Guilty of this sometimes, but it's usually unavoidable distraction or fatigue.

For the most part, while I don't treat logging into a game like a job (I.E showing up at 100% or at least trying to drive myself to 100%, because I don't really have any obligation to do so) I do usually log in with the intent of giving my attention to those around me, being available and being nonexclusive.

Tonight I logged on and was actually primed and ready to go for a long time, even with the varied responses/impatience of the evening event.

Whereas I've been known to come on and join a scav run and be totally prepared to zone out the entire two to four hour escapade, with barely any attention paid or any keystrokes made that weren't just prompt running.

My level of energy, attentiveness and interest varies wildly, but I try to get into it. I excuse myself for times where I'm just not.

Page 2 of 2   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic