Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
Gold. Should it be for sale?
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic

Poll Question and Results: Should Gold Be For Sale?
Yes 20 votes, 83%
No (but should still be available via scav and plots) 4 votes, 16%
Total Votes : 24
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:43 pm      Reply with quote

Yea, kind of... but they're definitely much better off then the average indie.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:29 pm      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
well..don't PC shopkeepers get the shaft for the most part, then. what with the lack of chips and all? sorry, a bit off-topic, just seems harsh, what with Families starting to be more and more self-sufficient.

Join a family then. Don't try to sell useless junk because you can, you may have to use some business savy to find out what people want and what price they are will to pay for it.

Warrior on the edge of time.
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm      Reply with quote

my point, roadhawk, is that there ISN'T really anything the Families need in order to thrive, they can get it all themselves. Don't reduce my argument by simply saying "don't be an indie then". Should be an option.

edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 am      Reply with quote

To be fair, you don't really get any money as a regular member of a family either (at least from what I've seen). You get issued stuff, but you're basically very much just getting what you're given.

Drifter
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:32 pm      Reply with quote

Families hold the only way to get chips that aren't from char-gen (barring being a mugger of char-gen chips I guess). And I think that's great, because it gives them genuine power, rather than artificial power.

It's just a trick of finding out what the family treasurers are too lazy to get themselves, so they can trickle those chips into the populace. It's not like you have access anything they don't.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:56 pm      Reply with quote

Drifter wrote:
Families hold the only way to get chips that aren't from char-gen (barring being a mugger of char-gen chips I guess). And I think that's great, because it gives them genuine power, rather than artificial power.

It's just a trick of finding out what the family treasurers are too lazy to get themselves, so they can trickle those chips into the populace. It's not like you have access anything they don't.

Saying that an Indie doesn't have access to anything a Family doesn't sort of countermands your point, though. A Family has access to a heavily armed posse who can not only scav for them but back them up for any problems. Which is fine and the point of being Indie vs Family. But I don't realistically see any reason for a Family to put chips out into an Indie economy when they have all the methods of production in-house.

Rather, I'd say that the /chips/ are an artificial power, since the only real strength they give is in buying gold. Everything else is just crafting tools- Families still control the majority of valuable supply. Which I think was the point of the original question- if gold wasn't purchasable with chips, chips could be allowed to move more freely between players to purchase said crafting tools.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 pm      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
my point, roadhawk, is that there ISN'T really anything the Families need in order to thrive, they can get it all themselves. Don't reduce my argument by simply saying "don't be an indie then". Should be an option.

That is exactly my point, in order to make yourself useless you must supply something that the Families can't or or wont' produce themselves. Why on earth would they buy food, scav and other things that they can produce themselves?

Having said that, I don't believe that Indies should just be given something to make their lives more tolerable and easier. Be it something as simple as gold or not.

Warrior on the edge of time.
Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 am      Reply with quote

One thing to point out is that Indies get to keep their own coin. In a Family, what your have belongs to your family. What you get from the turf npcs belong to, or at least -should- belong to the Family, not the individual.

So, the advantage of being an Indie, is that what you make is yours. Yes, it may be harder to scrap together a living. But, in the end, your wealth is your own. Not anyone else's.

Darkblade
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 am      Reply with quote

I hate to say, even if gold was no longer sold, it probably would not increase family spending at all, in fact it would probably decrease given that MOST families tend to be able to provide literally every other service themselves without help.

Scrap, food, clothing, crafting materials, weapon molds, equipment. All of this is provided for by the family you're in. Does that mean you might not get a shiny Titon greatsword as soon as someone else? Maybe, but at the same time why would you go to an indie when you have your own crafter who presumably can do it down the road, and for free to boot?

To put it bluntly, Families do not need indies. Most families would also look down on most independents unless they somehow managed to prove themselves in one way or another. So unless some other high-end good was made available to spend chips on, I don't see how removing gold would encourage chipflow in the least.

Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic