Home

Register a new account  
Organisation Forums and Roll Calls
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 am      Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm not entirely getting the big picture here, but why do we have those? We already have bulletin boards where we can post all the information that is relevant or of interest to the clan, like absences, introductions, etc. The only thing I see these forums achieve is attaching a username and all of the player's past history, willingly or not, to their character. I understand that the participation is completely voluntary, but wouldn't it be better if this information was restricted to moderators.

Do others find them useful and am I missing something here?

WorkerDrone
Registered

Duke Attitude

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:43 am      Reply with quote

By now, in the current community surrounding Atone-lite/SoI-lite, the people who've played those games, ect, it's generally unspoken but completely out in the open.

No one talks about their current PCs, no one -says- in outright terms they play them, but everyone knows and no one tries to hide it and people OOC whether you like it or not.

The forums are there to help keep track of when a person might be able to RP with another person by tacking on some time zones, organizing OOCly some pRPT events, ect.

And for discussions on lore and stuff, though I suppose that could be taken to a general forum, but it's helpful that only active Family members are posting in those threads, since they're forming the current cultures.

Aesuna
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 am      Reply with quote

The boards in the game are IC. The forums are OOC.

There are many things that aren't typically acceptable to post ICly on the bulletin boards (like playtimes, for instance, or requests for roleplaying criticism). There is also plenty of discussion that is also inappropriate for IC boards. Not to mention, IC boards aren't really suited well for discussion, more for notifications. It's rare that boards are replied to.

The forums also allow you to have a measure of anonymity when you post, if you don't post in introduction threads, and anonymity is something you can't get at all in game except through MUDmails. Introduction threads and even the whole clan board itself are absolutely voluntary and there are plenty of people who don't participate.

They also allow staff members to weigh in OOCly in the discussion as well, which they obviously can't do ICly, as they don't exist ICly.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic