Home

Register a new account  
The art of solo scavenging.
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 am      Reply with quote

I'm really kind of iffy on the armor thing, but you guys have probably got the right idea, problem being...

Yeah. Shredders. Good luck not dying before you can flee against a healthy pack of them, with no armor or base leather.

And... hell. With no armor, a gato could very well horrific you, on a crit.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 am      Reply with quote

On the skills subject...

I would argue in favor of wearing plate, if you're a sole-wielder with decent con/strength along with the usual array of solo-scavving skills.

In fact, I would argue for sole-wielding for all solo-scavvers, generally speaking, on grounds of this: "Ward will never let you get swarmed."

If you can reliably win one versus one fights even with gatos (given a charge-autofire shot, at least) then sometimes it's safer to stand your ground and fight. Ward will let you do that, and it will let you get rid of the extras if they start swarming or lining up on you. It also works excellently in conjunction with kiting for another charge-autofire.

The reason why this is the case is: The act of fleeing and trying to reach a safe spot is liable to expose you to more creatures, more flees that take you in a random direction (not necessarily the one you like), twice as many hits, presumably twice as much stamina expenditure in-combat. If you flee from one gato into another, you're going to have a bad day.

I would strongly advise against this if you're new to solo-scavving, however, for a variety of reasons, not least being: good luck being able to reliably solo a gato, and good luck being able to haul much of worth back carrying full armor and weapons.

As far as I can see, there's only one(two?) worthwhile scav spot across the map that is solo-scav friendly, so... I'm still skeptical of the 'worth' factor here. It's really... high risk medium reward, when you could do the same thing with a group for low risk medium reward. (There are groups going out almost daily. Sometimes 2-3 times a day.)

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:16 am      Reply with quote

I honestly can't see the allure of doing it all by yourself.

If I was solo scavving, I'd camp out a place for about a day or so, scavenge repeatedly, and then sneak back to Rust screaming how I found the motherload, and I need a bunch of people to help me bring it back.

There's your RP for ya right there.

Page 2 of 2   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic